Spelling.

howie

I sent of a reply to Cliff a few days ago regarding wild camping, and as usual checked that there were no mistakes before sending. Something wasn,t quite right, but I just could,nt put my finger on it. The answer came to me at about 3am in the morning for some reason, when I realised I had spelt forestry wrong. My version came out forresty, and although the main thing is that he understood the message, it still irks me when I make a mistake. There are around half a dozen words that seem to give me problems, none of them really difficult but it just seems a blind spot I have and the more I look at a particular word the more confusing it becomes. Another thing I look at is the style of writing. Some seem to written with wild abandon and bounce all over the page while my own is always tightly packed and somewhat defensive. I don,t know why as i,m always careful not to offend anyone. Something in the sub conscious perhaps. Anyway, seeing as motorhomers come from all walks of life, maybe someone could give us a insight to some of the postings on these forums. Howard.

Youve got nothing to proof then Lizzy. The point is that like many others, I have never had to stretch myself when it comes to proper grammer. Most of my working life was spent in heavy industry, where as others may have been more used to office work and this would come as second nature to them. It does not stop me from trying to improve myself, and the more I write, the easier it becomes. Howard

Do you mind if we stick to the original thread please. Another example is the spoken word. We held one of our regular commitee meetings tonight, and on the agenda was a complaint from our regular m.c. at quizz nights . He informed us that he was fed up with the micky taking due to the fact that he cannot pronounce his R,s. We had no idea this was getting to him, but one I must confess we did play on. Most of the teams are named as follows. Rocking rebels. Ronnies roosters and Rays rappers etc. For us the highlight of the night comes when the winners are announced. In third place, Wocking webels. In second place, Ways wappers. First place is often overlooked as by now the whole place would be in uproar. Just goe,s to show we all have our sensitive sides. Howard.

I only have to sniff the whisky glass to find out the proof ......... I can understand someone becoming sensitive about a speach problem. My Dad was a school teacher and our name is 'frost' ...... imagine how that went down when both he and I were in the same school! I had to grow a thick skin fast ;-) Their/there - that also grates. I don't do grammar although I do find bad spelling jumps off the page.

Well as I said before Lizzy, as long as we get the the message over then there,s no problem. I often go on to various sports forums, but try to avoid soccer as this seems to comprise of demented 10 year olds where the text message style seems to be the norm. There is also a growing tendancy for bad language to be used, and while i,m no stranger to this I just hope it can be nipped in the bud before it becomes commonplace. Perhaps we should be grateful for what we have on these forums. Postmans just been, and still no sign of the mmm magazine. Tomorrow maybe. Howard.

It would appear that apart from one person this thread is not being taken seriously, and I therefore direct my next question to the young lady in question who not only has the intelligence, but obvious good breeding that will ensure a sensible reply......... Dear Lizzy. Whenever I raise my hands above my head, I get a sharp pain around the groin area. Should I inform my Doctor, or slacken my bracers first. Howard.

Hiya Mary. I left school over 50 years ago with no qualifications and no call for writing until we bought a computer. I enjoy talking to other people though, and even when the grammer and content are not as it should be I think as long the message is clear then thats all that matters. A lot of people less fortunate than ourselves who may be house bound or deaf perhaps, will find forums such as this a real blessing when it comes to simply keeping in touch with others, and I hope criticism does not put them off giving their point of view as this would be a real shame and a great loss re. the various opinions we all have. As for apostrophes, hard going I admit but still well worth the effort when they first come into bloom with their profusion of different colours which always brighten up those early spring days. Howard.

Howard ... you're going off thread you know! Naughty boy! They ain't mices, they are rats, dumbo rats to be precise - this is the technical term as they have flatter heads and their ears are round and more on the side of their heads rather than on the top as standard rats are, I suppose like Dumbo the elephant! They are lovely 12 week old sisters, one champagne coloured the other blue (dusty grey really), we have just adopted them, they are being held by my husband, but that ain't no hairy chest, it's just a tee-shirt which looks a bit weird in the picture. We can't settle on names for them though, suggestions (nice ones!) would be appreciated.

Hiya Mel. Not like me but i,m feeling miserable as sin at the moment. I,ve caught a rotten cold which always ends up on my chest and having Bristles wish me Merry Christmas didn,t help either. I only have to buy four or five presents and how women manage is beyond me. At least you,ve put my mind at rest re. hairy chests but now i,m worried about the nail varnish. Sorry about getting the mices wrong and how about naming them Itchy and Scratchy and from past experience with my childrens pets hope they are really sisters. Wonder if the wife would like a router this year to go with the hammer drill she had last Christmas. The trouble is that she expects me to buy her the present she,s always wanted but no one will tell me what it is because it has to be a supprise. Look after yourself. Howard..................If you are reading this Mandy, sorry I have not replied to your post on statics, but you know what men are like when they are not well. Cancel the rotten cold. I am now in the early stages of Bubonic Plague. If I survive I shall reply without fail. Howard.

Archived