Stockpiling Food

Grumpyman

Grumpyman - 2020-03-19 11:44 AM

Yesterday on radio suffolk's morning radio show they decided in there wisdom to see what food was in certain supermarkets around the county, then tell the listeners where it was available totally irresponsible typical of the media.

Agreed, that is simply going to start a race to the door. Our window cleaner is here to day and told us that they can't get food and the cupboard is bare - they are both working all day and by the time they can get to a shop there's nothing much left. We gave them enough for a couple of meals from our cupboard, which we did stock up about a month ago, before any rush at all.

Bulletguy - 2020-03-19 4:03 PM

Many supermarkets have also tried making the first hour each day open to elderly customers only. An admirable and responsible gesture but sadly it's been impossible to enforce with non-elderly abusing it.

I know a couple of people who work in different supermarkets and from what they've told me, some of the "elderly" have been behaving in a far from "admirable and responsible" manner.

:-(

pepe63 - 2020-03-19 4:55 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-03-19 4:03 PM

Many supermarkets have also tried making the first hour each day open to elderly customers only. An admirable and responsible gesture but sadly it's been impossible to enforce with non-elderly abusing it.

I know a couple of people who work in different supermarkets and from what they've told me, some of the "elderly" have been behaving in a far from "admirable and responsible" manner.

:-(

Yes it's bad how society is reacting though i like to think it's a minority rather than majority. Earlier in the week three guys were filmed by dashcam from a customers car attempting to steal a trolley load of groceries. Store security came out to challenge them where a youth assaulted one of the security chaps throwing him to the ground. The car then sped off but the dashcam had caught it's number plate.

This was the scene at an Asda store at 6am today.

https://tinyurl.com/uwzd6vs

Its just crackers. Swarming to supermarkets in a huddle is just a flaming human Petri dish. Government needs to do something now about this. Maybe they are talking to the supermarkets I dont know but they claimed that they were the other day and the supermarkets denied it.

If its happening first thing then maybe they need to stagger the stacking of the shelves with the sought after products throughout the day. They need to find a way to deter people from all turning up at 6am. I truly hope this soft touch approach the government is taking is the right thing to do because right now this virus must be spreading like wildfire in a crowd like that.

Barryd999 - 2020-03-19 6:09 PM

Its just crackers. Swarming to supermarkets in a huddle is just a flaming human Petri dish. Government needs to do something now about this. Maybe they are talking to the supermarkets I dont know but they claimed that they were the other day and the supermarkets denied it.

If its happening first thing then maybe they need to stagger the stacking of the shelves with the sought after products throughout the day. They need to find a way to deter people from all turning up at 6am. I truly hope this soft touch approach the government is taking is the right thing to do because right now this virus must be spreading like wildfire in a crowd like that.

Supermarkets already tried it with the 'elderly hour' but it didn't work. I've been doing all mine online and admittedly the past couple of weeks have gone totally nuts. To get the delivery slots i want i'm now three weeks ahead with three separate deliveries already booked. Online grocery delivery cuts out a heck of a lot of faff and really simple to do once you've had a look around whichever supermarket website you go with.

Bulletguy - 2020-03-19 6:39 PM

Supermarkets already tried it with the 'elderly hour' but it didn't work. I've been doing all mine online and admittedly the past couple of weeks have gone totally nuts. To get the delivery slots i want i'm now three weeks ahead with three separate deliveries already booked. Online grocery delivery cuts out a heck of a lot of faff and really simple to do once you've had a look around whichever supermarket website you go with.

What I was suggesting was staggering the times they stock the shelves. People clearly think they will be full first thing so if they are not and its random no point in turning up to queue.

Mrs D has had a tesco slot booked in for ages now and every day stuff disappears from it presumably as it goes out of stock in our nearest store. Soon the list will be empty. I suspect she will just have to try and update it the night before and hope for the best.

Barryd999 - 2020-03-19 8:18 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-03-19 6:39 PM

What I was suggesting was staggering the times they stock the shelves. People clearly think they will be full first thing so if they are not and its random no point in turning up to queue.

Mrs D has had a tesco slot booked in for ages now and every day stuff disappears from it presumably as it goes out of stock in our nearest store. Soon the list will be empty. I suspect she will just have to try and update it the night before and hope for the best.

I use Morrisons and generally get everything i've ordered. Over the past couple of weeks they are putting limits on more items which shows as "maximum amount in trolley". I've also signed up to Iceland where i've never shopped before but been pleasantly surprised at the quality of their own brand items. They don't make a delivery charge at all and also deliver next day. Strangely they deliver everything in plastic bags.....but they're pretty big and well made so i re-use them.

I think after we eventually get through this horrible virus, more people will stick with online grocery deliveries.

We thought as we won’t be going in the van anytime soon we would grow vegetables this Summer . So popped down to Wickes to get some grow bags. There were a couple of others there with trolleys of compost. Is this the start of panic buying compost? Just sent off for seeds,carrots,corgettes,,beans,toms,leutices,radishes.

colin - 2020-03-20 12:09 AM

Having just watched the video made by critical care nurse who couldn't get any fresh fruit or veg, I despair.

I saw that too Colin and really felt for her. People like her are who we all turn to at some point in our lives, expecting them to be there for us.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-51966337/coronavirus-nurse-s-despair-as-panic-buyers-clear-shelves

It's brought the worst out in some people....like this toe-rag.

https://tinyurl.com/to3he7x

On the plus side, a cousin of mine who is 86 years old and not in the best of health, told me his next door neighbour had popped a note through his door telling him to phone them anytime he needed anything from the shops.

Archived