Sugar & spice

michele

What is all the little things that you look for and all the bargains in France or anywhere on holidays that you don't get at home . Or things that you can get cheaper when on holidays.

ok I'll start it .

We look for coffee in the packet the real stuff its much cheaper

Soaps I love the old ones that come in liquid in a packet they smell wonderful

Sometimes Beer often Champagne by the crate

The kids love Nutella the large one what they dont seem to do here .

Prawns & mussells because it cheaper and you get loads of them

;-) forgot Chlorine for the swimming pool its bigger and cheaper than here and sold in the supermarkets over there which is easier than hunting for it.

"Nutella" I think Aldi sell it here.

We usually come back with a load of Cigs (yes we are the one's who still smoke) But the way the French are behaving that may not be possible in future. We also buy washing machine liquid in France (usually a lot cheaper than here). Other than that we don't bother looking at the "duty free" stuff.

fresh baguettes on a sunday morning

apple pie n cream [still dreaming about that]

decent coffee - just about everywhere

being able to spend all afternoon people watching over a cup of coffee / glass of wine without being hassled to move on

crepes you can see through

fresh sardines straight off the boat

chips with mayonnaise without getting funny looks

poffertjes

indonesian rijstafel

[this is deeply freudian - it's all about food *-) *-) *-) ]

B-)

The largest boxes of soap powder we can find as Cherry does all the washing of linen napkins from our son's restaurant and it is substantially cheaper in France (& Switzerland). When in Switzerland a lot a chocolate bars as that keeps my blood sugar level up at 02:00 hours!!!

Regards Mike

When we are in France I find the following list helpful. Cakes, fresh bread, cakes, fresh seafood, cakes, fresh fruit and veg, chocolate cakes, crepes, cakes with cream, Perrier Water,cakes with fruit, flans (which are flat cakes), tarte citron (flat cakes with lemon), tarte naturel (flat cakes with custard) and finally fresh and filled doughnuts( fat cakes).

Because I don't drink and wines etc are lost on me I tend to concentrate on foodstuffs, but I can't decide which type of food I like best.

(lol)

Guest JudgeMental

Can I suggest for those missing the taste of French croissants for breakfast, that the best I have discovered are available from the CO OP super market. Under their bread francaise stuff. they are really good! IMO better than other supermarket brands - I think you will be pleasantly surprised

What is it about French bread?

Is it the flour, amount of salt, sugar?

Brits can't seem to copy it - if you buy it from the French markets in this country, it's good, but in the main, the British shops can't seem to get it right.

Will go into my local Co-op tomorrow & give it a try, Eddie.

michele - 2007-10-12 6:22 PM

Right thats it I have to get another identity know one talks to me no one even looked at my photo above Mels :'(

'course we did lil buddy honest - just Mel put names to faces, but you still get original royalties :D

B-)

Archived