Swift Kontiki

tjay

Hi there, we bought a new van last month as above from Marquis in Preston. day for collection came and went (it had to be paid in full two weeks prior to collection) Any way before we left the premises varios points were highlighted not laest the the engin management lightwas on. No-one was interested is was like we've got your money so goodbye. I had to take it to a Fiat garage 15 miles away to be repaired. I have written to them but have not recieved any response. Several more points have appeared not least that the NEW battery only lasts for three evenings before giving up the ghost. No power NO lights No heating and NO fridge total crap. So the question is before I put it in the hands of my solicitor any advice from someone would be welcome.cheers.

Hi Sorry you're having problems. Battery - 3 nights - this isn't that bad a length of time for a battery to last without a recharge. Without knowing what you were running off it during the period its difficult to say more. As for the problems, again, more info is needed to give more specific advice but I'm wondering why you took it away from the dealership whilst there were problems with it? Especially if they weren't giving you any help? A bit more info would help please. Mel B

Oh no not again! Take it back and ask for a return of your cheque in full - stating 'van is not fit for purpose'. When ever anyone asks for repair work tell them that 'time is of the essence' and that after a certain number of days i.e. 7, you will expect a replacement 'van and/or compensation of £???.00 per day - someone I know has had ooodles of problems with this dealership so much so that his brand new 'van has been with them now nearly 6 weeks! Someone he knows paid over £40,000 for a brand new top-of-the-range van and it had 53 faults before he drove it off the forecourt - needless to say he didn't, had his money back immediately, went to Germany and bought abroad! Remember you brought the 'van from the dealership not the 'van chassis maker i.e. Peugeot, Renault - the Contract is with the dealer, any problems have to be taken up by them. The more I hear the more I'm put off buying a van :-(

• 2 weeks later...
thank for the replies,been on hols.I have sent a letter to both Preston manager and the director in Sussex,but as expected no reply(now 9 days since i sent it) to-morrow , Monday I will be going to my solicitor to have him send it on via registered post.This will be with an amended list as the lock on the side door fell out when I tried to unlock it as the central locking has ceased to function. Also the on/off switch for the habitation battery when switched whilst stationary puts on the radio and the ignition lights without any key near the ignition switch. Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.thanks,Tom :'( they dont want to know do they !!!!

re what was in use, lights two small spotlights in rear lounge,two small spotlights above the cooker (occasional only) ditto for th two small lights in the toilet.I have been motorhoming for over forty years and know how to conserve power. P.S. our previous van a swift sundance was used wild camping for one yo two weeks whilst Spain Jan to April this year and the baterry NEVER went flat.thanks,Tom

Archived