Telephone Help?

Tracker

We are both liable to fall or to need each other's help, probably at inconvenient times and places, and I'm looking for a pendant or wrist worn type small alarm, much like Careline offer, but instead of calling them so they can instigate help from someone else we can speak to each other, or alert if we are not able to speak, if we need help and are not in the same location?

I've scoured the interweb thingy and I can't find any device that with the push of a 'help' button can contact a user specified phone number, and be diverted to another number if the first number fails to respond.

Any ideas anyone please as we try to maintain our own independence but with a back up which hopefully we will never need?

nowtelse2do - 2017-09-06 7:47 PM

Hi rich. Sorry can't help but maybe age concern or citizens advice could point you in the right direction.

Dave

Thanks Dave, Age Concern didn't understand what I wanted and could only try to sell me their own rather expensive service and I've not asked Citizens Advice but previous experience does not encourage me to ask them!

Also asked Careline and Saga but they only want to sell me their own system.

Fair enough and when one of us dies and t'other is left alone to take care of ourself these systems will probably be ideal, but not for a while we hope!

Search ebay or Amazon for "3g personal alarm"

Costs about £60 to £80 and includes voice communication to 2 preset numbers, a fall detector and a gps tracker to send location.

n.b. the ebay ones are often from China and will attract vat and import duty on top of the advertised price.

A google search might find a uk supplier.

Vandaemon - 2017-09-06 8:48 PM

Search ebay or Amazon for "3g personal alarm"

Costs about £60 to £80 and includes voice communication to 2 preset numbers, a fall detector and a gps tracker to send location.

n.b. the ebay ones are often from China and will attract vat and import duty on top of the advertised price.

A google search might find a uk supplier.

Thanks, very much appreciated, had a quick look on Amazon but I need a longer look to get my addled brain around all the techno burble, but the principle seems to be just what I think we need, just need to pick the right one, well two actually!!

As I suspected, to get the right answers I just need to ask the right questions!!

Bulletguy - 2017-09-06 9:12 PM

TTfone Lunar TT750 phone has an SOS button. Hit the button and it auto dials whatever numbers you've programmed in until one is answered. If none answer it defaults to 999.

http://www.ttfone.com/ttfone-lunar-tt750.html

Many thanks for your help BG,

A quick look suggests that another mobile phone each might be bulkier than would be ideal but if it offers the contact flexibilty in an idiot proof format that is obvious to use if one is injured or semi incapacitated then it could be ideal?

I appreciate the links too, very kind of you to take the trouble and I appreciate it.

Thanks

For example, I fell over in the garden recently and was bruised a bit but otherwise uninjured, but unable to unwedge myself to get myself up and after a while my wife found me and we got ourselves sorted.

It was funny in many ways but could have been nasty and if I had had a pendant or alarm that would have dialled the home number, or my wife's mobile if no reply we could have sorted it sooner.

This or a more seious medical incident might be able to be resolved more quickly, even, dare I say it life savingly more quickly, with the right emergency contact device that is either self activating on a fall or easy to use if the wearer is doo-lally or unable to function normally for whatever reason.

I hope I don't sound paranoid but we have to stay alive to enjoy our pensions and spend the kids inheritance somehow!

I bought Martin a Doro phone recently and it has an assistance button on the back. When you set the phone up it gives you the choice of 3 contact telephone numbers to insert so that if help is needed you just press the button and it rings the first number, if no answer then rings second number etc. It does work as we accidentally pressed it one day and our D.I.L who is a Paramedic rang us to ask if everything was ok. I bought it from Currys Online as a refurbished phone £67 I think, sim free. Its a Doro 8030.

I got one of these for my mum: https://www.telecarechoice.co.uk/

Small pendant - press button - 24/7 helpline immediately phones you and if no response goes through a list of numbers you specify before calling the emergency services.

I'm not aware of a better system.

PS: also have a police approved keysafe by the door which they have the combination to so they can give it to anyone of your approved people or emergency services needing emergency access. You can buy the safe from them but I got the same police approved safe cheaper on ebay.

John52 - 2017-09-07 11:57 AM

PS: also have a police approved keysafe by the door which they have the combination to so they can give it to anyone of your approved people or emergency services needing emergency access. You can buy the safe from them but I got the same police approved safe cheaper on ebay.

We moved into a house with one of these and our locksmith recommended us to remove it because it is a signal to ne'er-do-wells that there is a vulnerable person living in the house.

Muswell - 2017-09-07 12:48 PM

We moved into a house with one of these and our locksmith recommended us to remove it because it is a signal to ne'er-do-wells that there is a vulnerable person living in the house.

Bad for locksmith's business too ;-)

Approved by the Police but not the Locksmith - so take your choice :-S

I've seen some key safes that look more like kids money boxes *-)

Silly little wheels that get too stiff to turn or you can't see the numbers.

I use Supra C500 keysafe - which I think is the only one Police Approved?

Probably easier to smash the door open than this thing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Supra-C500-keysafe-Police-Approved-/112553026235?hash=item1a34aee2bb:g:vuIAAOSwARZXoN3X

John52 - 2017-09-07 1:22 PM

Muswell - 2017-09-07 12:48 PM

Bad for locksmith's business too ;-)

Approved by the Police but not the Locksmith - so take your choice :-S

There's nothing wrong with the safe but in my experience, and that of everyone else that I know has been burgled, they just force a window or door, or break a window and that's it.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

There seem to be several options that each cover specific situations and plenty to think about, but as yet no clear solution that covers all bases, but I do appreciate everyone's input.

Many front and back doors these days use Eurolock type barrel locks that one tends to leave a key in it for convenience and to be able to open the door quickly if needed and the main problem with that is that if the key is left in the lock inside it is impossible to insert a key from the outside which would defeat the purpose of any keysafe.

This also applies to older door locks with a more traditional key and I have to wonder why the newer locks still have the same built in design failing? Wonderful design?

Provided we remember we can always pull the inside key out a short way which enables a key to be inserted from the outside but will we remember every time we lock the door, I doubt it?

Tracker - 2017-09-08 10:52 AM

Thanks to all who have contributed.

There seem to be several options that each cover specific situations and plenty to think about, but as yet no clear solution that covers all bases, but I do appreciate everyone's input.

Many front and back doors these days use Eurolock type barrel locks that one tends to leave a key in it for convenience and to be able to open the door quickly if needed and the main problem with that is that if the key is left in the lock inside it is impossible to insert a key from the outside which would defeat the purpose of any keysafe.

This also applies to older door locks with a more traditional key and I have to wonder why the newer locks still have the same built in design failing? Wonderful design?

Provided we remember we can always pull the inside key out a short way which enables a key to be inserted from the outside but will we remember every time we lock the door, I doubt it?

I just put a stick-on hook on the inside of the door next to the keyhole to hang the key on.

Bit of a pain remembering to take the key out and hang it on the hook every time but it has to be done.

These falling down type accidents that leave one incapacitated and unable to open the door invariably seem to happen when we least expect them - when we do expect them we are more careful :-S

Don't suppose he would like paying an annual fee and neither do I.

But the practicalities of having a small pendant round your neck with a 5 year battery that you only have to squeeze to get a 24/7 immediate human response means its more likely to be there when you need it than carrying a fully charged mobile phone everywhere at all times and finding the right button to ring someone who may or may not be accessible etc :-S

John52 - 2017-09-08 1:52 PM

Don't suppose he would like paying an annual fee and neither do I.

But the practicalities of having a small pendant round your neck with a 5 year battery that you only have to squeeze to get a 24/7 immediate human response means its more likely to be there when you need it than carrying a fully charged mobile phone everywhere at all times and finding the right button to ring someone who may or may not be accessible etc :-S

I absolutely agree and when one of us remains that is probably what I would opt for.

But it still does not answer the away from home incident question?

Meanwhile whilst there two of us one can always assist the other, and that includes calling 999 if needed, but we have to consider the ways we contact each other either in or around the house or out driving, or me fishing or whatever.

At the moment mobile phones are what we have but that needs the one in trouble to be physically and mentally able to select and dial out rather than just hit a big red help button.

I think we may have to have two systems, one for at home and one for away?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2017-09-08 12:10 PM

starvin marvin - 2017-09-08 11:53 AM

Ask Pelmetman, he's been falling down for years!

True, but his is Lidl's El Vino Collapso induced!

That's a foul slur 8-) .......

As I'm quite capable of falling down when sober :D .......

February's broken rib was due to a Swift caravans crap grab handle that came off in my hand *-) .........

August's bruised ribs was due to a miss step when totally sober :-( .......

I actually do myself less harm if I fall over p*ssed (lol) .......

pelmetman - 2017-09-08 7:29 PM

That's a foul slur 8-) .......As I'm quite capable of falling down when sober :D .......

My sincere apologies for the sloul fur Dave,

Falling over when inebriated you probably hit the ground already limp or semi conscious so that would explain why you do less damage to yourseld!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2017-09-08 7:34 PM

pelmetman - 2017-09-08 7:29 PM

That's a foul slur 8-) .......As I'm quite capable of falling down when sober :D .......

My sincere apologies for the sloul fur Dave,

Falling over when inebriated you probably hit the ground already limp or semi conscious so that would explain why you do less damage to yourseld!

Exzacary .....hic.......

After 2 bottles I can fall over now quite safely now B-) .....

pelmetman - 2017-09-08 7:39 PM

After 2 bottles I can fall over now quite safely now B-) .....

Elf n safety should be proud to have you as their mascot Dave, all that time and discipline into training and learning how to fall - well done that man!!!

Archived