The rising costs of Brexitism

Bulletguy

UK is hemorrhaging money at a phenomenal rate in pursuit of Brexit.

£500 million over the past few months in Aerospace industry.

£100 million a week in food and drinks industry.

£200+ million in clothing (British Retail Consortium)

A report in the New York Times today;

The United Kingdom Has Gone Mad:

The problem with holding out for a perfect Brexit plan is that you can’t fix stupid.

If you can’t take a joke you shouldn’t have come to London right now, because there is political farce everywhere. In truth, though, it’s not very funny. It’s actually tragic. What we’re seeing is a country that’s determined to commit economic suicide but can’t even agree on how to kill itself. It is an epic failure of political leadership.

The entire Brexit choice was presented to the public in 2016 with utterly misleading simplicity. It was sold with a pack of lies about both the size of the benefits and the ease of implementation, and it continues to be pushed by Conservative hard-liners who used to care about business but are now obsessed with restoring Britain’s “sovereignty” over any economic considerations.

The notion that the U.K. will suddenly get a great free-trade deal from Trump as soon as it quits the E.U. is ludicrous. Trump believes in competitive nationalism, and the very reason he is promoting the breakup of the E.U. is that he believes America can dominate the E.U.’s individual economies much better than when they negotiate together as the single biggest market in the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/02/opinion/brexit-news.html

Guest pelmetman

Still spreading Remoaner propaganda Bullet *-) .........

So how has Brexit affected your pocket? ;-) .........

It's made bog all difference to mine B-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-03 9:34 PM

You were not effected by the sharp rise in fuel costs after the referendum then or the rise beyond inflation in a lot of shopping costs? The crappy exchange rate with the EU that was around 1.41 the summer before the referendum dropping to 1.10 has not affected you then?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-04 12:24 AM

You were not effected by the sharp rise in fuel costs after the referendum then or the rise beyond inflation in a lot of shopping costs? The crappy exchange rate with the EU that was around 1.41 the summer before the referendum dropping to 1.10 has not affected you then?

The pound euro spiked just before the referendum *-) ...........

Its now back at levels where its been in 8 of the last 10 years ;-) .........

So it's not affected me anymore than it did then :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-04 8:17 AM

So you are denying that the pound crashed not just against the Euro but against the Dollar which led to rises in prices on all sorts of stuff you use everyday? Whichever way you try and dress that up it has effected you unless you live in a field and just eat grass. Its had an effect on everything from services, to fuel, energy, food, cost of decent beer from lovely Europe, Dairy, software even.

Barryd999 - 2019-04-04 12:32 PM

So you are denying that the pound crashed not just against the Euro but against the Dollar which led to rises in prices on all sorts of stuff you use everyday? Whichever way you try and dress that up it has effected you unless you live in a field and just eat grass. Its had an effect on everything from services, to fuel, energy, food, cost of decent beer from lovely Europe, Dairy, software even.

The 1.41 Euro rate you are talking about was a short term rate caused by the economic crisis in the Eurozone. If you are saying the Pound 'crashed', then at that time the Euro was crashing and burning. It was a close run thing that it did not disappear. If you remember, some member states were discussing reverting back to their former currencies. Sorry to rain on your parade with a few facts.

747 - 2019-04-04 1:03 PM

The 1.41 Euro rate you are talking about was a short term rate caused by the economic crisis in the Eurozone. If you are saying the Pound 'crashed', then at that time the Euro was crashing and burning. It was a close run thing that it did not disappear. If you remember, some member states were discussing reverting back to their former currencies. Sorry to rain on your parade with a few facts.

Remind me (as I said) what happened to the pound against the dollar also as a direct result of the vote to leave?

We saw an almost immediate hike in prices across the board as I pointed out. Ive not seen any of that recede since have you? So to say you were not effected is just bonkers. Its just yet more being in denial or just oblivious.

To fight the rising costs in food for example manufacturers and producers have got crafty and are actually adopting "Shrinkflation" techniques using either cheaper ingredients and / or less product in the same packaging.

Every time the country shifts closer to no deal the pound slides and every time it looks like that will be averted it rises. That should tell you something.

Economists predict that if we do leave and especially with no deal we could see a further 20% drop in the value of the pound. Then you will have the double whammy of everything (and I mean everything) being more expensive but with thousands of jobs lost as well no doubt. Remind me what the good bit is again?

Food costs up, fuel costs up (which means everything goes up), utility costs up.....but i'm not selfish to think only about my pocket, there are other people out there i think about such as those now without jobs and facing losing their homes. In some cases entire families who worked at the same place which Brexit has torn apart and trashed.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-04 3:01 PM

Food costs up, fuel costs up (which means everything goes up), utility costs up.....but i'm not selfish to think only about my pocket, there are other people out there i think about such as those now without jobs and facing losing their homes. In some cases entire families who worked at the same place which Brexit has torn apart and trashed.

Blah blah blah *-) ..........

My reports from the UK coalface are obviously different to yours ;-) .......

As they're saying they just as busy as ever B-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-04 2:54 PM

747 - 2019-04-04 1:03 PM

Remind me (as I said) what happened to the pound against the dollar also as a direct result of the vote to leave?

We saw an almost immediate hike in prices across the board as I pointed out. Ive not seen any of that recede since have you? So to say you were not effected is just bonkers. Its just yet more being in denial or just oblivious.

To fight the rising costs in food for example manufacturers and producers have got crafty and are actually adopting "Shrinkflation" techniques using either cheaper ingredients and / or less product in the same packaging.

Every time the country shifts closer to no deal the pound slides and every time it looks like that will be averted it rises. That should tell you something.

Economists predict that if we do leave and especially with no deal we could see a further 20% drop in the value of the pound. Then you will have the double whammy of everything (and I mean everything) being more expensive but with thousands of jobs lost as well no doubt. Remind me what the good bit is again?

Remind me ;-) .........Did the euro not tank as well? :D .........

How did that happen with Trump in charge? 8-) ........

Perhaps we need our own Trump? >:-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-04-04 5:32 PM...……………………………...Remind me ;-) .........Did the euro not tank as well? :D .........

I hate to point this out, Dave, but the Euro is the currency of the EU Eurozone, which Trump does not control, and the US Dollar, which Trump does control, is also losing value. Don't know where that gets us, but just for clarity! :-D

pelmetman - 2019-04-04 5:30 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-04-04 3:01 PM

Blah blah blah *-) ..........

My reports from the UK coalface are obviously different to yours ;-) .......

As they're saying they just as busy as ever B-) ........

Can you rewrite this into something more comprehensible and factual rather than inane tweet like gibberish? :-|

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-04 5:56 PM

pelmetman - 2019-04-04 5:32 PM...……………………………...Remind me ;-) .........Did the euro not tank as well? :D .........

I hate to point this out, Dave, but the Euro is the currency of the EU Eurozone, which Trump does not control, and the US Dollar, which Trump does control, is also losing value. Don't know where that gets us, but just for clarity! :-D

So the dollar is dropping too? ;-) ...........So where's the problem? :D ........Just for clarity? (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 8:53 AM

So the dollar is dropping too? ;-) ...........So where's the problem? :D ........Just for clarity? (lol) ......../QUOTE]

So just for clarity, UK = mainly Brexit, US = mainly Trump (via China), EU = mainly Brexit + Trump (via China). :-D Next?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-05 11:30 AM

So the dollar is dropping too? ;-) ...........So where's the problem? :D ........Just for clarity? (lol) ......../QUOTE]

So just for clarity, UK = mainly Brexit, US = mainly Trump (via China), EU = mainly Brexit + Trump (via China). :-D Next?

So where's the problem? ;-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 12:11 PM

So the dollar is dropping too? ;-) ...........So where's the problem? :D ........Just for clarity? (lol) ........

You just asked that, and I've told you above where the problem/s is/are. What isn't clear?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-05 4:44 PM

You just asked that, and I've told you above where the problem/s is/are. What isn't clear?

I thought you lot were saying the dollar being so high was causing us problems? ;-) ..........

Now you're saying it's not? :D ...........So there's no problem is there? (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 9:27 PM

I thought you lot were saying the dollar being so high was causing us problems? ;-) ..........

Now you're saying it's not? :D ...........So there's no problem is there? (lol) ........

Dave, you're focusing on the symptoms, not the disease (i.e. "the problem")

Currencies fluctuate all the time, it is the underlying causes of the fluctuations that are the problem, and I have answered in those terms. The problems are Brexit (uncertainty), and Trump (specifically his trade war with China - which is doing actual economic damage).

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-06 11:48 AM

Currencies fluctuate all the time, it is the underlying causes of the fluctuations that are the problem, and I have answered in those terms. The problems are Brexit (uncertainty), and Trump (specifically his trade war with China - which is doing actual economic damage).

So Brexits just "another" uncertainty ;-) .......and certainly not as bad as the financial crash :D ......

I reckon a Corbyn government would be worse than just another uncertainty >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2019-04-06 3:11 PM

1 So Brexits just "another" uncertainty ;-) .......

2 and certainly not as bad as the financial crash :D ......

3 I reckon a Corbyn government would be worse than just another uncertainty >:-) .......

1 Of course it is, but it is a uniquely political, and wholly unnecessary, UK fabricated uncertainty.

2 You know with certainty what the economic outcome of Brexit will be? Your knowledge is worth millions. I suggest you immediately notify the British media of that, and rush back to UK to collect your fortune! :-D

3 Party politics, so not interested.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-06 4:01 PM

3 I reckon a Corbyn government would be worse than just another uncertainty >:-) .......

1 Of course it is, but it is a uniquely political, and wholly unnecessary, UK fabricated uncertainty.

2 You know with certainty what the economic outcome of Brexit will be? Your knowledge is worth millions. I suggest you immediately notify the British media of that, and rush back to UK to collect your fortune! :-D

1.....Saving the country billions may seem like a fabricated uncertainty to you 8-) ........

2.....Given the accuracy of your expert predictions so far......I'm happy to take my chances B-) ......

3.....Eh? :-S .......So a deffo risk of Corbyn crashing the economy is nothing compared to Brexits hypothetical risk? (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

pelmetman - 2019-04-06 4:13 PM

1.....Saving the country billions may seem like a fabricated uncertainty to you 8-) ........

2.....Given the accuracy of your expert predictions so far......I'm happy to take my chances B-) ......

3.....Eh? :-S .......So a deffo risk of Corbyn crashing the economy is nothing compared to Brexits hypothetical risk? (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

1 Changing the subject suggests you know Brexit will be economically damaging, but don't want to say so.

2 So you don't know the economic outcome of Brexit, and your claim is false.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-06 6:06 PM

pelmetman - 2019-04-06 4:13 PM

1 Changing the subject suggests you know Brexit will be economically damaging, but don't want to say so.

2 So you don't know the economic outcome of Brexit, and your claim is false.

1.....Seeing as our gdp is better than Germany's......I dont think so :D .......

2.....I know there's a GLOBAL recession coming and we're in better position than most EU countries to weather it ;-) ......

3.....Vote Corbyn then.......I ain't bothered.......I've got an escape plan and no kids >:-) ......

pelmetman - 2019-04-06 6:16 PM

1.....Seeing as our gdp is better than Germany's......I dont think so :D .......

2.....I know there's a GLOBAL recession coming and we're in better position than most EU countries to weather it ;-) ......

3.....Vote Corbyn then.......I ain't bothered.......I've got an escape plan and no kids >:-) ......

As we have already established you dont even understand what GDP is, but for the record.

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/germany/uk

Archived