This Forum or the FA Cup Final?

Usinmyknaus

Football eh? For me, no contest. If grown men of limited education can derive a generous living from participating in a mildly diverting children's amusement, good luck to them. I've nothing against it, I just can't be bothered watching them do it!

Don't get me wrong, live and let live, if footballists want to watch, that's fine by me and I respect absolutely their right to do so (there are two downstairs as I type) but I'd much rather spend the time on here. It's been a very pleasant few hours and I haven't had to give up the computer once!

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2007-05-19 6:37 PM

Football eh? For me, no contest. If grown men of limited education can derive a generous living from participating in a mildly diverting children's amusement, good luck to them. I've nothing against it, I just can't be bothered watching them do it!

Don't get me wrong, live and let live, if footballists want to watch, that's fine by me and I respect absolutely their right to do so (there are two downstairs as I type) but I'd much rather spend the time on here. It's been a very pleasant few hours and I haven't had to give up the computer once!

Bob

I've been flitting to and fro from the PC to Sky Sports 1,2 & 3 (FA Cup, Test Match, Irish Open golf)

With lovely weather after a week of heavy drizzle I've been out and about with hubby and the dogs, walking, enjoying the village gardens, fresh air, river wild life. Then I watched our chooks scratching around for worms etc., before a belly full of fish and chips: that's hubby, me and the dogs, chooks made do with a few salt-free chips.

What's football .......... ;-) only joking!

Lizzy - 2007-05-19 7:41 PM

With lovely weather after a week of heavy drizzle I've been out and about with hubby and the dogs, walking, enjoying the village gardens, fresh air, river wild life. Then I watched our chooks scratching around for worms etc., before a belly full of fish and chips: that's hubby, me and the dogs, chooks made do with a few salt-free chips.

What's football .......... ;-) only joking!

And isn't it nice and quiet out and about with so many people in watching the box. Good time to go shopping too.

Bob

RonB - 2007-05-19 8:32 PM

I watched the cup final for about twenty minutes and then decided it would be more interesting to mow the lawn!

My 2 resident footballists stuck with what they claimed was a very boring match ........ only to see their team lose at the last minute.

Bob

derek500 - 2007-05-19 5:47 PM

Usinmyknaus - 2007-05-19 6:37 PM

Bob

I've been flitting to and fro from the PC to Sky Sports 1,2 & 3 (FA Cup, Test Match, Irish Open golf)

Given that they got the "wrong" result I bet my 2 resident experts wished they had done something else too.

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2007-05-19 5:37 PM

Bob

Leave it out Bob. While everyones banging on about a new generation of unfit and overweight youngsters you not only advocate more time at the keyboard but condemn sport as well.

Our local runs sports teams covering cricket, football, rugby and boxing etc.

We raise all our own funding and most requests for financial aid from the local authorities bring the response of flogging off more pitches and playing areas that result in property development and a profusion of greased palms.

The youngsters that sign on with us have that natural aggression and energy that makes sport the ideal outlet, as well as the benifits of learnig teamwork, discipline and the facts that in adulthood, unless you compete, there are actually losers.

O.k, so not everyones into sport which is fair enough, but keeping kids of the streets and out of trouble deserves as much support as it can get and nothing does this so well as the recreational pastimes i,ve mentioned.

Don,t go taking offence Bob, but I feel strongly about this and its something I put a lot of time and effort into.

howie - 2007-05-19 11:29 PM

Usinmyknaus - 2007-05-19 5:37 PM

Bob

Leave it out Bob. While everyones banging on about a new generation of unfit and overweight youngsters you not only advocate more time at the keyboard but condemn sport as well.

Our local runs sports teams covering cricket, football, rugby and boxing etc.

We raise all our own funding and most requests for financial aid from the local authorities bring the response of flogging off more pitches and playing areas that result in property development and a profusion of greased palms.

The youngsters that sign on with us have that natural aggression and energy that makes sport the ideal outlet, as well as the benifits of learnig teamwork, discipline and the facts that in adulthood, unless you compete, there are actually losers.

O.k, so not everyones into sport which is fair enough, but keeping kids of the streets and out of trouble deserves as much support as it can get and nothing does this so well as the recreational pastimes i,ve mentioned.

Don,t go taking offence Bob, but I feel strongly about this and its something I put a lot of time and effort into.

No offence taken Howie. Nor would I ever wish to give any. Actually, I strongly agree with you I think football and indeed all sports are great at local level, especially for youngsters. When my lad played in his local team I was there at every match to support him (even though I don't much like football myself.) I even took on a post as a club officer for several years 'cos I felt I should help the organisation which was providing the facility for my lad.

My tongue in cheek comments were directed at the professional game which I think is rather cynically manipulated by the marketeers to milk money out of loyal fans. But that's just a personal opinion (did you see the costs of various season tickets on BBC breakfast this morning?) I acknowledge that millions of people get pleasure from football and that it generates extraordinary loyalty. For example a footballist colleague sought to explain his passion to me. He has supported a Yorkshire based team through thick and thin (mainly "thin" apparently) for 27 years, yet he has never been to a live game and he has lived, since birth in a small town on the extreme south coast of England. He has cultivated the same passion in all his children but they too have never been able to physically see their team. Extraordinary.

Incidentally, I audited a league team once and what they were achieving through a "Community" scheme was very impressive. They could reach young people and adults with problems where official agencies would have struggled and probably failed.

Bob

Howie

I've a foot in either camp. I'm a very keen footie fanatic and always have played on a sat and sun until some 10 years ago, when a knee ligament injury did my activity in!!

As kids we were always encouraged to play sports, at our school, this was everyday for a minimum of 1hr.

Winter was always, Rugby, soccer & XCountry running.

Summer was always cricket & athletics.

Many schools now selling off their fields for housing development, which I see as a shame. It then relies upon good spirited people like you to make up for sports activities.

I do support one or two of our local youth teams, which are run by the parents from our local hostelry.

These are the good ones, then we have the usual kids hanging around on swings in the local park and making a nuisance of themselves. What happens on a Friday, Bobby turns up in van & all they do CCTV them!!

Keep up the good work.

Thai

Hi Bob. Glad you took no offence at my posting, and though my sentiments remain the same certainly no personal criticism of you or anyone else was intended.

The trouble is that once this land is sold of Brian then it cannot be replaced. Despite its crocodile tears, this goverment is still selling it off at a alarming rate and regardless of any future promises will no doubt continue to do so.

We,ve already lost two playing fields in the last four years and in their place we now have a selection of four bedroom "executive" houses, which makes a complete mockery of the much need affordable housing Prescot kept banging on about and the main argument on how it went through. :-(

Archived