To Wave or not to Wave.

Solentlady

Hi as you know I am new to having a motor home, and am having a great time, never been away so much in my life. We have been reading your threads to wave or not,

so we put it to the test this weekend, we only travelled to Waymouth from Lee on the Solent,

what a lot of miserable people there are out there. One man even gave us the V sign. still I will not let it deter my sunny dispostion. I will keep waving.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest caraprof

You mustn't assume that people who don't share your view are necessarily miserable.

I find it annoying and embarrassing when total strangers, with whom I have no connection whatsoever, suddenly start gesticulating from the other side of the road, as though we are old friends.

It's a free country and I respect your right to wave at me if you must but if I choose not to reciprocate please don't make assumptions about my attitude to other people and my friendliness or unfriendliness levels!

Some of us are still a bit 'stiff-upper-lip' and we deplore this insincere informality where every customer services clerk calls you by your first name, where people leave cuddly toys at the scene of an accident or tragedy, even when they have no personal connection with the victim, and where total strangers feel that they have the right to put an obligation on me by waving at me just because we happen to drive the same kind of mobile home.

I also deplore equally the person who made an obscene gesture at you, that was disgraceful.

Now, having got that off my chest, I wish you well in your new hobby and hope that you have many years of pleasure with it.

Hi Solentlady

We live in Southampton and although we are still awaiting delivery of our much delayed new motorhome (1st September now, or else!!), we are already "wavers". We purchased a Smart Car to trail behind our van and have found MOST Smart Car drivers are "wavers" too. In fact one of my clients commented that "all smart car drivers look happy" - maybe that's the £30 Road Fund Licence, or just the fun of driving one?

We will look out for anybody waving when we eventually get back on the road and will certainly wave back if we see you....

I hope we get as much fun out of our new van as you are getting from yours..... B-)

caraprof - 2007-07-18 12:43 PM

You mustn't assume that people who don't share your view are necessarily miserable.

I find it annoying and embarrassing when total strangers, with whom I have no connection whatsoever, suddenly start gesticulating from the other side of the road, as though we are old friends.

It's a free country and I respect your right to wave at me if you must but if I choose not to reciprocate please don't make assumptions about my attitude to other people and my friendliness or unfriendliness levels!

Some of us are still a bit 'stiff-upper-lip' and we deplore this insincere informality where every customer services clerk calls you by your first name, where people leave cuddly toys at the scene of an accident or tragedy, even when they have no personal connection with the victim, and where total strangers feel that they have the right to put an obligation on me by waving at me just because we happen to drive the same kind of mobile home.

I also deplore equally the person who made an obscene gesture at you, that was disgraceful.

Now, having got that off my chest, I wish you well in your new hobby and hope that you have many years of pleasure with it.

Give it a rest ya silly sod. I read your post in the other waving thread and decided not to respond to it, as; well frankly you amuse me in a creepy sort of way. But as you’ve seen fit to repeat your nonsense I feel compelled to respond as I fear for your sanity.Sane people have an ability to empathise with others, even if we have never met them, this is why the sane amongst us sometimes do things that the less rounded person may see as illogical, such as leaving a cuddly toy at the seen of a tragedy.Please don’t feel obliged to return a wave to anyone you pass on the road, I’m sure that if they had known it was you coming toward them they wouldn’t have waved in the first place.

Guest caraprof

It's nice to know that you're as unreasonable and ill-mannered as usual TC101. I can't really understand why you feel that I am not entitled to my opinion, one which seems to be shared by many others, but there you are.

Which is worse I wonder, me having an opinion that you don't like, or you trying to suppress my opinion because you don't like it?

By the way, I wonder how many people think that I'm not the only 'silly sod' as you so charmingly put it, on this forum. I think that you may well have scooped that title a long time ago!

Please feel free to have another rude rant if it makes you happy. I promise not to respond to you.

Hi Sarah- The wave that exists between motorcaravaners is a gesture of friendship and a feature of reconition of people enjoying the same pastime. Ignore any miserable s*d who does not wave , or is to mean minded to participate in this simple gesture. For every unfriendly one, there are 100 friendly ones, I have come to the conclusion that there are many people about who are not happy unless they can cause unhappiness. Have a good life and bring as much happiness into your pastime as you can. chas

Guest caraprof
chas - 2007-07-18 4:53 PM Hi Sarah- The wave that exists between motorcaravaners is a gesture of friendship and a feature of reconition of people enjoying the same pastime. Ignore any miserable s*d who does not wave , or is to mean minded to participate in this simple gesture. For every unfriendly one, there are 100 friendly ones, I have come to the conclusion that there are many people about who are not happy unless they can cause unhappiness. Have a good life and bring as much happiness into your pastime as you can. chas

I'm sorry but I really object to people like you who assume that because some of us don't like waving, we're some kind of unfriendly monsters. We find it mawkish and silly. Do you wave to everyone who drives the same car as you and if not, why not?

I'm getting a little tired of all of these waving bullies who think that anyone who doesn't agree with their silly and pointless habit is somehow miserable and unsociable.

Has it ever occured to you that these same people who wave are the ones who then totally ignore you when you're on the same site?

Respect our opinions please. As I said earlier, it's a free country and if you insist on waving at me please do so but you should also respect my right not to respond.

Finally, to suggest that because some of us don't enjoy waving that we want to create unhappiness is an absolutely deplorable statement and reinforces my opinion that there are a lot of bullies out there who feel that anyone not going along with their particular custom is somehow beyond the pale.

Shame on you!

Guest caraprof
J9withdogs - 2007-07-18 6:19 PM I don't think you are presenting this forum in a very good light for our newcomers.

You may be right but it was a newcomer who suggested that because we don't wave we are some kind of miserable sods. I hope that we are still free to defend our views.

What's noticeable is that the angriest and nastiest comments are coming from those so-called friendly people who insist on waving at each other! How do you explain that?

Guest caraprof
J9withdogs - 2007-07-18 6:36 PM You are entitled to be miserable, but, likewise, don't vent your spleen at us souls who wave at everyone because we are happy to share a smile.

Thank you for proving my point. Once again a waver accuses us of being miserable because we don't agree with their viewpoint. Once again a waver insults me by accusing me of 'venting my spleen' when all I have done is defend my point of view. It was a waver remember who started this thread by accusing us, very unjustly, of being miserable.

Once again, please explain what it is that makes some of you wavers so unpleasant in your dealings with us who choose not to.

I have made it quite clear that I believe that it's a free country and if you want to wave, please do so. Are you suggesting that I must wave back? Or am I free to make my own choice?

It would be lovely just to have a sensible response without the usual bitter invective about what miserable sods we are.

I now offer a little questionnaire:

Did you ever tow a caravan?

If you didn't then please move on to the next thread.

If you did please answer this question.

Did you wave to every other caravanner who came your way?

If not, why not?

I have to go out now but when I return I'd love to read your explanations.

Oh guys lets give it a rest now .Its really not worth getting het up about is it really ore in life to worry about ..

I can see Franks point though why is it (not just this thread) that everytime some one says something that the main dont agree with then they are wrong >........Human nature is a funny thing ...

If we all lived in glass houses then all our windows would be broke :D

Live & let live ...wave or dont AM I BOTHERED Look at my face does it look bothered ........cathrine tate i luv er :D

Guest caraprof
J9withdogs - 2007-07-18 7:04 PM OK you win, but at least I have a life and I know how to enjoy it. Bye Bye!

You see, you're at it again! I can assure you that if you knew my life and lifestyle you may well be a little envious. I can also assure you that there are far more exciting things going on in my life than waving!

From what I can gather all of this waving is making some of you very unpleasant and inconsiderate of others.

michele - 2007-07-18 7:47 PM

Oh guys lets give it a rest now .Its really not worth getting het up about is it really ore in life to worry about ..

I can see Franks point though why is it (not just this thread) that everytime some one says something that the main dont agree with then they are wrong >........Human nature is a funny thing ...

If we all lived in glass houses then all our windows would be broke :D

Live & let live ...wave or dont AM I BOTHERED Look at my face does it look bothered ........cathrine tate i luv er :D

Yes, but is that really your face we are all looking at or how you would like us to imagine you. Here,s the problem. We all know you are in your mid fifties, but until you post a more up to date picture then those nagging doubts will remain.

Go on Michele, lets see you warts and all, and remember i,ve got a recent photo of you so don,t even think of pulling a fast one. *-)

Howie,

Why would I want to spoil your imagination I mean mid 50ish well if you like it that way I don't mind perhaps that makes me closer to you :D .

Keep dreaming sweetheart one day I will shock you ..

not my fault if you are not at the shows is it now ask Dave dwight if I look 50ish ?? :D

Dear Caraprof

of course you have the right not to wave and it doesn't prove you are miserable. But you do seem to be determined to be offensive to those who do wave and you seem to have a lot of time to write to forums for someone having such a wonderful life. The trouble with waving is that it becomes so easy to offend someone when really you were just trying to read the road signs or wondering what the hell some idiot is up too or the thousand and one other things you have to keep an eye when driving. I do wave when the roads quiet.

DonW

michele - 2007-07-19 12:02 AM

Howie,

Why would I want to spoil your imagination I mean mid 50ish well if you like it that way I don't mind perhaps that makes me closer to you :D .

Keep dreaming sweetheart one day I will shock you ..

not my fault if you are not at the shows is it now ask Dave dwight if I look 50ish ?? :D

:D ?. I,m awfully sorry Michele. You are obviously very sensitive about your age and I should never have mentioned you being in your mid fifties on this forum. Too late to take back what i,ve already posted about you being in your mid fifties, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for mentioning you are in your mid fifties. :-(

:D :D You funny likkle man ...I feel mid 50tys . Maybe you're right I must look mid 50tys but you are only as old as the man you feel ...they say !.

So I better not feel me husband but go out and hope to feel younger :D all over.

DonW - 2007-07-19 12:05 AM

Dear Caraprof

of course you have the right not to wave and it doesn't prove you are miserable. But you do seem to be determined to be offensive to those who do wave and you seem to have a lot of time to write to forums for someone having such a wonderful life. The trouble with waving is that it becomes so easy to offend someone when really you were just trying to read the road signs or wondering what the hell some idiot is up too or the thousand and one other things you have to keep an eye when driving. I do wave when the roads quiet.

DonW

I don,t know Don, but this whether you wave or not seems to have been going on since time immoral. If you pass another m/h out in the wilds then by all means give them a wave and a smile, but as you say, with the volume of traffic on the roads along with everthing else then sometimes its not the sensible thing to do. What I normally do is without taking my hand of the wheel (or my eyes of the road) simply raise my four fingers in acknowledgement. Hopefully this meets with the etiquette expected and avoids those times when someone else has waved to you without you noticing, which the wife then points out leaving you feeling rather mean and unfriendly.

As I said on another same topic thread earlier, if you are reading the road ahead correctly you have ample time to 'wave' as you are aware of any impending or developed hazards. You should have picked up the oncoming m'home at the limit of your vision initially and can 'wave' as it passes whether or not you are actually looking it! At the end of the day 'waving' is a personal thing and dependant on if you want to or not coupled with how YOU interpret the unfolding road conditions. We always wave but do not get annoyed if the other m'home does not returned it

Reards, Mike & Cherry.

Guest caraprof
DonW - 2007-07-19 12:05 AM Dear Caraprof of course you have the right not to wave and it doesn't prove you are miserable. But you do seem to be determined to be offensive to those who do wave and you seem to have a lot of time to write to forums for someone having such a wonderful life. The trouble with waving is that it becomes so easy to offend someone when really you were just trying to read the road signs or wondering what the hell some idiot is up too or the thousand and one other things you have to keep an eye when driving. I do wave when the roads quiet. DonW

I really am confused here! Start this thread from the beginning and read each post. Then tell me who are the ones who are posting offensively. I said all along that I respect people's right to wave and every one of the wavers has posted rude comments about how us non-wavers are miserable people.

As for my life, it couldn't be better. I am virtually retired and yesterday afternoon played golf. Last night I went out to a very enjoyable meeting of an organisation that I'm a member of.

In a few minutes I'm off to Southport with my junior partner to negotiate to buy a successful business and property to add to my already fairly large company and if the weather is nice I'll put the top down on my Mercedes SL500.

And I would add that it wasn't me who began a discussion of whether or not I have a life. I was accused of not having one by one of those friendly wavers!

I am with Caraprof on this one as I find it a bit embarrasing and maybe a bit childish too

Caraprof has not suggested people stop waving just that you shouldnt expect, as if of a god given right, that everyone has to wave back and he is right

Archived