TomTom satnav.

crob

I have just bought a TomTom One Europe satnav device, and I am struggling a bit with downloading POI’s. Being a “golden oldie” I am not that very much into modern technology, but I try hard! The device came with many POI’s on it, including, for example, Cinemas. When I looked at this POI, the nearest one to where I live was 30mls away – there are several 5-8mls away. So I went to the download site (www.poihandler.com) and downloaded their Cinemas POI.’s. I can now see on my device those cinemas near to me, but I now have TWO Cinema POI’s on my device – the one that came with it, and my newly downloaded one. Ideally I would like to delete the original POI and have just my downloaded one, BUT I can’t find that option on the TomTom. If I select “Delete POI”, either an individual entry or the whole category, it only allows me to delete my newly downloaded one.

Does anyone know how to delete those POI’s supplied originally with the device, or is it not possible, please?

My next step will be to copy the Western Europe maps from the supplied CD to a new SD card, and I will then need to download the POI’s relevant to the countries that I am interested in. I may then have a similar problem to the above. Any tips about this, please?

Thank you.

Colin Robinson.

(?)

The TomTom POIs are all contained in the file POI.dat and can't be amended. Any additional POIs that you want to add are stored in seperate files, two for each POI one is an ov2 file for the data and the other a bmp file for the icon.

Therefore if you add your own POI and name it 'Cinema', then two will show on the list, your one, and the default Tomtom.

The TomTom POI.dat file for the Western European seamless map is pretty poor with many missing catagories. Also I'm not keen on the map as it doesn't show water, e.g rivers, canals etc. I do however value it for international route planning.

I have the Western Europe map on a 1gb card and I also have individual country maps on a 2gb card. The TomTom poi.dat files are much more detailed on the specific country maps.

Archived