Tory Rebels rock the boat about Brexit

StuartO

They want Parliament to have a meaningful vote before the Country is commited to Brexit - and therefore they don't want to Government to set the Brexit date into law, making it inevitable?

Much of the fuss about Brexit and the endless speculation about the negotiations doesn't seem to me to be useful and I'm hanging on to giving Thersa May the benefit of my doubts about her tactics.  She has got the EU to move on to talking about future trading arrangements and the "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" provides a useful safeguard against what might otherwise be hostages to fortune.

At the same time I see the sense in giving Parliament a "go/nogo" vote once negotiations have been completed.  Parliament should be able to send the decision back to the people (i.e. another Referendum) if they think it necessary - and we withdraw Article 50 (or delay Brexit Day) as needed to accommodate this.  If we withdraw our Article 50 notification (as we seem to have the option to do right up to the last day) we can always lodge it again the day after.

Or am I missing something?

StuartO - 2017-12-14 1:47 PM Or am I missing something?

What's missing is knowing the reaction of the EU if we say no to the deal.Some MPs seem to think that if we don't accept it, we just send Theresa back to Brussels " to get the deal improved ".That's possible I suppose but I wouldn't bet on it.Just remember that at one time our government didn't think the public would choose to leave the E.U. so it's best not to take too much for granted. :-|

StuartO - 2017-12-14 1:47 PM

She has got the EU to move on to talking about future trading arrangements

Except it isn't the EU that has moved.

Boris has gone from 'you can whistle for it' to 'honour our committments'

Which means his £250 million a week rebate. has moved to a E50billion divorce settlement for a start -

The Tories have just bought themselves votes with our money, like they did with the DUP. :-S

But of course the Tory press present it differently *-)

Guest pelmetman

Looks like the Remoaners are doing their level best to ensure we get a sh1t deal *-) .........

I bet the dumbo's even think we'll change our minds if they manage to force another referendum >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2017-12-14 5:48 PM

Looks like the Remoaners are doing their level best to ensure we get a sh1t deal *-) .........

I bet the dumbo's even think we'll change our minds if they manage to force another referendum >:-) ........

Hilarious! You Turkeys voted for Christmas.....we didn't.

It's also a tad rich coming from a deserter who skedaddled out of the country he pretends to "love" so much. *-)

Anything that reigns in the leash of the Fruitloops that are running the show at the moment has to be a good thing really. Davis is an idiot. TM is about as decisive as a Rabbit in the headlights and Boris. FFS! Where do you start? I bet they are laughing their tits off in Euro land. Look at what the silly ingleeese have sent to negotiate with us. (lol)

The more options we have on this thing the better really. Who knows a year from now even Dave Pelmet might have changed his mind and want a second referendum. Maybe not and if so then so be it. Like any path you go down thats going to have dramatic change with so many constantly changing variables you need to have options, not have something entrenched in law when you have no idea what the state of play will be a year from now, thats bonkers but then again the people running the show are exactly that.

Archived