US intelligence officer whose warning over white supremacy was ignored

Bulletguy

Ten years ago, the Department of Homeland Security sent American law enforcement agencies an intelligence briefing warning of a rising threat of domestic rightwing extremism, including white supremacist terrorism.

The economic recession and the election of America’s first black president would create fertile ground for rightwing radicalization, the 2009 report concluded. Military veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, in particular, would be attractive targets for recruitment.

Republican politicians and conservative pundits reacted with outrage and demanded a retraction. The report was politically motivated and unfairly demonized conservative views, they argued. “Americans are not the enemy, the terrorists are.”

The head of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) publicly apologized. The small team of domestic terrorism analysts who had produced the report was disbanded, and analysts were reassigned to study Muslim extremism, according to Daryl Johnson, the career federal intelligence analyst who had led the team. By the next year, Johnson says, he had been forced out of the DHS altogether.

Since then, Johnson has watched a rising tide of white nationalist terror attacks around the world. This year, he published a book, Hateland, on American extremism.

The political fiasco surrounding the report created a chilling effect in the law enforcement and intelligence community. It indicated that this topic is radioactive and you better stay away from it. If you pursue it, there’s going to be hell to pay: that was the message. People did lose their jobs. Good analysts were harassed and retaliated against. People saw what happened to me and my team. They knew that if it happened to Daryl, the Eagle Scout Mormon goody-two-shoes, it could happen to them.

When one of these mass shootings happens and it’s linked to anti-immigrant zealotry, or hatred of Muslims, is calling it out for what it is. By arguing “this person is mentally ill” or “this person is a crazed gunman” or “this person has committed a hate crime”, you’re doing a disservice to the victims and their families and to the nation by not acknowledging it’s terrorism.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/07/white-supremacist-terrorism-intelligence-analyst

Guest pelmetman

I see Bullets right wing hate agenda has gone to Defcon1 8-) ..........

Corbyn must deffo be on his way out >:-) .........

P1010899.JPG.b0b4e4bc772c69b0ab325cd6218bbcd3.JPG

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-08-10 5:10 PM

pelmetman - 2019-08-10 3:15 PM

What part of the US Intel officers comments are you struggling with?

I'm not ;-) .......

I'm just pointing out that you're getting boring with your right wing hate agenda *-) .......

It's time to face facts Bullet.......your Islamic chums will always be top of the pile when it comes to spreading hate :-| .....

They've been at it since the 7th century 8-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-08-10 5:19 PM

I'm not ;-) .......

Yes you are.

I'm just pointing out that you're getting boring with your right wing hate agenda *-) .......

I can see from your comments you've not read one word of that article. What would an intel officer with years of experience analysing domestic terrorism know what he's talking about when an ex puff 'n pelmet maker knows it all eh? *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-08-10 5:32 PM

I'm not ;-) .......

Yes you are.

I can see from your comments you've not read one word of that article. What would an intel officer with years of experience analysing domestic terrorism know what he's talking about when an ex puff 'n pelmet maker knows it all eh? *-)

When I spend time reading guff you spend all night researching ;-) ..........

I will know....... I no longer have a life...... or the will to live it 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-08-10 5:35 PM

I'm not ;-) .......

Yes you are.

I will know....... I no longer have a life...... or the will to live it 8-) ..........

Care to try again with a bit more substance than tweet like gibberish?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-08-10 5:48 PM

I'm not ;-) .......

Yes you are.

Do you not spend the early hours on strange websites researching and then posting on here when most sensible folk are asleep or p*ssed? ;-) .............

P1010899.JPG.d6742a6fb0f29421a55ea065c3b5f21d.JPG

pelmetman - 2019-08-10 6:19 PM

I'm not ;-) .......

Yes you are.

Do you not spend the early hours on strange websites researching and then posting on here when most sensible folk are asleep or p*ssed? ;-) .............

Lets be honest he sees no one during what he classes as daylight hours ... Family contact is zilch , so his family as much as hates us is me und you Dave ... Ye I know its sad

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2019-08-10 6:29 PM

I'm not ;-) .......

Yes you are.

Lets be honest he sees no one during what he classes as daylight hours ... Family contact is zilch , so his family as much as hates us is me und you Dave ... Ye I know its sad

I wonder if we can claim carers allowance? :D ...........

I'm not ;-) .......

Yes you are.

Do you not spend the early hours on strange websites researching...

It's reported in msm.....not off one of those wacko nutjob extremist right wing conspiracy websites you and your girlfriend frequent. *-)

...and then posting on here when most sensible folk are asleep or p*ssed? ;-) .............

Which makes you daft as well as p1ssed........seeing as it was posted at 3pm. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-08-10 8:26 PM

........seeing as it was posted at 3pm. *-)

Which is unusual for you ;-) ............

Obviously you've learn't to save your browsing until you wake up after lunch :D .........

Archived