Using Sex Workers in Haiti

StuartO

I'm struggling to see whether the political correctness we're seeing displayed on this news item is sufficiently respectful either of the rights of the Haitian sex workers to ply their chosen trade unmolested or of the freedom we're all supposed to enjoy these days to express our personal sexual orientation and lifestyle.

Assuming that the Oxfam workers/volunteers were using the prostitutes during their leisure time and paying for them with their own money, even if that was their salary from Oxfam, what have they done wrong?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StuartO - 2018-02-11 2:15 PM

Assuming that the Oxfam workers/volunteers were using the prostitutes during their leisure time and paying for them with their own money, even if that was their salary from Oxfam, what have they done wrong? 

Nothing as far as I can see.

I suppose there is a suspicion they are giving out the aid in return for favours.

Its miniscule compared to the taxpayer funded foreign aid that politicians are chucking around when they go abroad to be treated like Royalty . - But, unlike Oxfam, politicians don't have to worry about donations drying up because taxpayers have no choice but to 'donate'...

Like we had no choice but to send £5 billion to Ireland in advance of the Royal visit,,,

John52 - 2018-02-11 2:45 PM
StuartO - 2018-02-11 2:15 PMAssuming that the Oxfam workers/volunteers were using the prostitutes during their leisure time and paying for them with their own money, even if that was their salary from Oxfam, what have they done wrong? 
Nothing as far as I can see.I suppose there is a suspicion they are giving out the aid in return for favours.Its miniscule compared to the taxpayer funded foreign aid that politicians are chucking around when they go abroad to be treated like Royalty . - But, unlike Oxfam, politicians don't have to worry about donations drying up because taxpayers have no choice but to 'donate'...Like we had no choice but to send £5 billion to Ireland in advance of the Royal visit,,,

So predictably boring.  It really is a shame that you are unable to post anything without including your anti royal bile.

RogerC - 2018-02-11 2:59 PM
John52 - 2018-02-11 2:45 PM
StuartO - 2018-02-11 2:15 PMAssuming that the Oxfam workers/volunteers were using the prostitutes during their leisure time and paying for them with their own money, even if that was their salary from Oxfam, what have they done wrong? 
Nothing as far as I can see.I suppose there is a suspicion they are giving out the aid in return for favours.Its miniscule compared to the taxpayer funded foreign aid that politicians are chucking around when they go abroad to be treated like Royalty . - But, unlike Oxfam, politicians don't have to worry about donations drying up because taxpayers have no choice but to 'donate'...Like we had no choice but to send £5 billion to Ireland in advance of the Royal visit,,,

So predictably boring.  It really is a shame that you are unable to post anything without including your anti royal bile.

True though innit.Thats why you can only reply with ad hominen as usual.

StuartO - 2018-02-11 2:15 PMI'm struggling to see whether the political correctness we're seeing displayed on this news item is sufficiently respectful either of the rights of the Haitian sex workers to ply their chosen trade unmolested or of the freedom we're all supposed to enjoy these days to express our personal sexual orientation and lifestyle.

If the Oxfam workers involved in this were truly charitable they would give these sex workers money or other help for nothing.

Barryd999 - 2018-02-11 3:36 PM

Whats more worrying is you have pollys like serial idiot Priti Patel now saying we should cut funding to charities like Oxfam. Yep! Thats really going to help the people in need isnt it?

Agree-she is an idiot. I doubt that Oxfam is the only charity to have rogue staff or volunteers. It is so difficult these days to find a charity you can trust with your cash.

StuartO - 2018-02-11 2:15 PM

I'm struggling to see whether the political correctness we're seeing displayed on this news item is sufficiently respectful either of the rights of the Haitian sex workers to ply their chosen trade unmolested or of the freedom we're all supposed to enjoy these days to express our personal sexual orientation and lifestyle.

I had to Google search to find out what news item it was you were on about.

Whilst prostitutes should have a right to ply their chosen trade it seems not so in Haiti as it's illegal so that seems clear enough. Oxfam’s country director in Haiti, Roland van Hauwermeiren, who, according to the report, admitted using prostitutes at the villa rented for him by Oxfam with charitable funds, was allowed to resign. He should have been sacked.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/09/oxfam-pressed-over-claims-haiti-aid-workers-used-prostitutes

Barryd999 - 2018-02-11 3:36 PM

Whats more worrying is you have pollys like serial idiot Priti Patel now saying we should cut funding to charities like Oxfam. Yep! Thats really going to help the people in need isnt it?

We have record number of hospital admissions for malnutrition and people sleeping on the streets in England. We don't need to pay 6 figure salaries to Oxfam employees to get aid to the people in need in our own back yard. I give it to the local church foodbank where everyone is a volunteer so 100% is going to people in need.

Violet1956 - 2018-02-11 3:29 PM

If the Oxfam workers involved in this were truly charitable they would give these sex workers money or other help for nothing.

Well if its their own money and they are buying a service....

I get the argument that prostitutes may not want to do it and only do it for the money

But the same argument could be used for any job, and I see no sympathy for the unemployed turning down jobs they don't like.

I doubt if it helps prostitutes by taking away their choice, by taking away their opportunity of work.

John52 - 2018-02-11 5:13 PM

Violet1956 - 2018-02-11 3:29 PM

Well if its their own money and they are buying a service....

I get the argument that prostitutes may not want to do it and only do it for the money

But the same argument could be used for any job, and I see no sympathy for the unemployed turning down jobs they don't like.

I doubt if it helps prostitutes by taking away their choice, by taking away their opportunity of work.

C'mon John. If other desperate people on Haiti seeing prostitutes suffer less than they do what are they likely to do? I am beginning to wonder if some of the males of the species confuse what it is like for a woman to face a choice of prostitution or destitution with freedom of choice.

pelmetman - 2018-02-11 6:34 PM

In a truly equal world I should be able to sell my body for sex to :D .........

Trouble is I reckon I'd starve :-( .........

Me too Dave. If I had the misfortune to be on Haiti when disaster struck I would have nothing to sell to the people who claimed they had come to help me.

Bulletguy - 2018-02-11 4:06 PMI had to Google search to find out what news item it was you were on about.Whilst prostitutes should have a right to ply their chosen trade it seems not so in Haiti as it's illegal so that seems clear enough. Oxfam’s country director in Haiti, Roland van Hauwermeiren, who, according to the report, admitted using prostitutes at the villa rented for him by Oxfam with charitable funds, was allowed to resign. He should have been sacked.

For goodness sake this is Haiti....a third world sh1thole as lawless as it is possible to get amidst other quite civilised countries/islands.

Just because Papa Doc and Baby Doc have moved on nothing has really changed there so I fail to see the relevance, or indeed newsworthiness in a report that aid workers, irrespective of appointment, used prostitutes.

RogerC - 2018-02-11 8:08 PM
Bulletguy - 2018-02-11 4:06 PMI had to Google search to find out what news item it was you were on about.Whilst prostitutes should have a right to ply their chosen trade it seems not so in Haiti as it's illegal so that seems clear enough. Oxfam’s country director in Haiti, Roland van Hauwermeiren, who, according to the report, admitted using prostitutes at the villa rented for him by Oxfam with charitable funds, was allowed to resign. He should have been sacked.
For goodness sake this is Haiti....a third world sh1thole as lawless as it is possible to get amidst other quite civilised countries/islands.Just because Papa Doc and Baby Doc have moved on nothing has really changed there so I fail to see the relevance, or indeed newsworthiness in a report that aid workers, irrespective of appointment, used prostitutes.
As quoted in the article i linked i expect it's the fact they appear to have used (abused) the charities premises, or at least the director had. A charity which does excellent humanitarian aid work all over the world but relies on public donations. What they do in their private life outside of work is their business, but ceases to be once they begin using facilities not owned by them.

StuartO - 2018-02-11 2:15 PMI'm struggling to see whether the political correctness we're seeing displayed on this news item is sufficiently respectful either of the rights of the Haitian sex workers to ply their chosen trade unmolested or of the freedom we're all supposed to enjoy these days to express our personal sexual orientation and lifestyle.

FYI prostitution is illegal in Haiti and it is believed some of the prostitutes may have been under age. Then we have the allegation it was sex parties held in a house supplied by Oxfam.If it was legal and with adults I would say no problem, but I think some seem to think that Oxfam directors should be held to a higher standard.

Bulletguy - 2018-02-11 8:52 PM
For goodness sake this is Haiti....a third world sh1thole as lawless as it is possible to get amidst other quite civilised countries/islands.Just because Papa Doc and Baby Doc have moved on nothing has really changed there so I fail to see the relevance, or indeed newsworthiness in a report that aid workers, irrespective of appointment, used prostitutes.
As quoted in the article i linked i expect it's the fact they appear to have used (abused) the charities premises, or at least the director had. A charity which does excellent humanitarian aid work all over the world but relies on public donations. What they do in their private life outside of work is their business, but ceases to be once they begin using facilities not owned by them.

So Oxfam has power of censorship 24/7 over all and anyone they provide accommodation for is that it?

I’d go further BG. It is not acceptable for any aid worker to go to a country and exploit some of the most vulnerable and desperate to satisfy their lust. Engaging in the most intimate of human contact with someone who treats you like a piece of meat to be used and then cast off has to be one of the most miserable and dehumanising forms of all social interaction.

Oxfam had allowed three men to resign and sacked four others for gross misconduct after they were found to have hosted “Caligula” style sex parties involving Haitian prostitutes in the aftermath of 2010 earthquake.

An internal report into the incident uncovered by The Times, which was circulated in 2011, was unable to rule out that under-age women had been solicited.

And the same person was head of operations in Chad where similar sex parties are alleged to have taken place.

Violet1956 - 2018-02-11 9:04 PM
I’d go further BG. It is not acceptable for any aid worker to go to a country and exploit some of the most vulnerable and desperate to satisfy their lust. Engaging in the most intimate of human contact with someone who treats you like a piece of meat to be used and then cast off has to be one of the most miserable and dehumanising forms of all social interaction.
Never had intimacy with a piece of meat ... Love to know how that works ... Your talking for a lot of prostitutes and condemning the actions of those that use them and suggest you know how they view and treat the prostitutes ... How d'ya know all that ... Never had to use a prostitute being a looker myself but I do know lads that have used them in many places throughout the world and what you describe is a million miles away from what they tell me ... You talking from experience or just how you imagine it may be

.....but you judge by your own Western standards which is an unfair judgement.  Did you know that in Ukraine for example the prostitutes that frequent the hotels (in Kiev at least) are mostly married and do what they do because they want to (it pays very well apparently) and with their husbands knowledge and agreement?  I know because I have met a few whilst staying there......not I might add through employing their services.

Engaging in the most intimate of human contact with someone who treats you like a piece of meat to be used and then cast off has to be one of the most miserable and dehumanising forms of all social interaction.

8-) May I ask how do you know it was like that?

But even if it is that bad, if they choose to do it the alternative must be worse.

So I can't see how its helping them to take their choice away from them.

RogerC - 2018-02-11 9:02 PM
So Oxfam has power of censorship 24/7 over all and anyone they provide accommodation for is that it?
That's not what i said at all. I said; "What they do in their private life outside of work is their business, but it ceases to be once they begin using facilities not owned by them"To put it more bluntly. Would you expect to use your employers property for purpose of entertaining some prostitutes? Somehow i don't think you'd be in their employment very long, do you? You'd take her to an Hotel.

Archived