VE DAY

Violet1956

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my late mums first boyfriends (she liked smart dressed men in uniform! :D ) she took home to meet her parents. Her dad took one look and ordered him out of the house and told my mum she was never to see or speak to that lad ever again. My mum burst into tears wondering what she'd done wrong. It turned out the lad was one of Mosley's "Blackshirts"! 8-)

She didn't have much luck with her second boyfriend either. He went off to join the RAF but never returned from war.

My mum worked as a Red Cross nurse and i remember her telling me her and her friends loved to go to a dance in their time off. None had stockings so they used to use black boot polish to draw a line up the back of their legs! They only got their hands on real stockings when the Yanks came into the war but by that time she was married.

Guest pelmetman

.......and 72 years on Germany is still issuing threats 8-) .........Deja vu eh? :D ......

Violet1956 - 2017-05-08 4:45 PM72 years today Victory in Europe was being celebrated. Gives me a feeling of gratitude to all those who served including my parents, sadly no longer with us. Veronica

You and me both then Veronica........my gratitude seems to grow more each year.  Watching, or trying (and occasionally having to leave the room) through tears in my eyes the film 'Kajaki' on BBC2 last evening clearly demonstrated why I am forever grateful and humbled by the service and dedication to duty of those who serve to deliver us the freedoms we accept as 'normal' today.  

I served 28 years and thank God I never had to go through what those guys, and thousands like them went through. 

God bless those who have gone before and those who serve today.
To those who paid the ultimate price......RIP.....and thank you.

I think the Merchant Seamen on the Arctic Convoys had the worst job of the war. But were ignored in Churchill's VE Day Speech, and denied medals, because by that time Churchill wanted to fight Stalin, who they had saved.

Churchill also ignored Bomber Command in his VE Day Speech, because their carrying out his orders in bombing civilian targets had become an embarrassment to him. :-(

John52 - 2017-05-08 8:45 PM

RogerC - 2017-05-08 8:21 PM

They weren't paid, they weren't conscripted, they had Her Majesty's Armed Forces against them, and gave everything to win what freedoms you and I enjoy today https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterloo_Massacre

Yes John. What a terrible time in our history that was but today is not about them is it? It is about their descendants who like my mother who was from Manchester and was still living in dire poverty at the time of WWII and signed up to serve her country at the age of 19. She saw many young men she knew die whilst serving in the WRAF and then she saw my father return from Malta half starved. She, my father and others of her generation made sacrifices and suffered great losses that most of us have never be called upon to make so I will remember them today and always.

Veronica

RogerC - 2017-05-08 8:21 PMTo those who paid the ultimate price......RIP.....and thank you.
They weren't paid, they weren't conscripted, they had Her Majesty's Armed Forces against them, and gave everything to win what freedoms you and I enjoy today https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterloo_Massacre

You can't resist can you!!!  You can even ruin a perfectly non provocative thread with your sickening comments....
https://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMy0wNzY2NzAyNDRhMWQzOWJh.png
in addition:
http://combiboilersleeds.com/images/pathetic/pathetic-3.jpg

P.S.  I'm sure my poor departed uncle who was one of the first into Bergen-Belsen and had the unenviable job of 'photographer of record' would love to meet you just before he laid you on your ungrateful back....unfortunately the mental scars he was left with ended when he took his own life having never spoken of his experiences.

Tell me you have ever made a sacrifice or served to protect anyone other than yourself because from your posts you are the most despicable individual it has ever been my misfortune to come across.

Violet1956 - 2017-05-08 8:58 PM

Yes John. What a terrible time in our history that was but today is not about them is it? It is about their descendants who like my mother who was from Manchester and was still living in dire poverty at the time of WWII and signed up to serve her country at the age of 19. She saw many young men she knew die whilst serving in the WRAF and then she saw my father return from Malta half starved. She, my father and others of her generation made sacrifices and suffered great losses that most of us have never be called upon to make so I will remember them today and always.

Veronica

I was expecting a load more Ad hominem from RogerC warrior mentality, so its a nice surprise to read your civilised reply :-D

John52 - 2017-05-08 9:26 PM
RogerC - 2017-05-08 9:05 PM would love to meet you just before he laid you on your ungrateful back...
Good to know he was fighting for my freedom of speech *-)

You choose because to me both apply to you....and your 'smiley' really doesn't do anything other than reinforce your sickening attitude:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/miscellaneous-choice-self_esteem-self_loathing-contempt-beneath_contempt-jcon119_low.jpg

and I see you are unable to answer the question:

Tell me you have ever made a sacrifice or served to protect anyone other than yourself?    ...... because from your posts you are the most despicable individual it has ever been my misfortune to come across.

To Veronica....my apologies for the ruination of your thread.  I was hoping that a certain 'poster' here would for once desist in his continued attacks on those who the greater majority of the country and elsewhere hold dear.  I apologise for not ignoring that despicable individual and somewhat ruining your most sincere thread.

RogerC - 2017-05-08 9:46 PM

your 'smiley'

It is not a smiley because it isn't smiling

RogerC - 2017-05-08 9:46 PM Tell me you have ever made a sacrifice or served to protect anyone other than yourself?

I can see you are running out of material for your Ad hominem.

But this is not about me.

You mention saving the concentration camp victims - survivors who made it back home found their homes had been given to someone else who told them to 'go back where they came from'

I served 28 years

I don't know whether you did it for the pay, the adventure, learn a trade, world travel, or all of those things.

I know you didn't do it to maintain my freedom (of speech) - you have made that clear enough

John52 - 2017-05-08 10:12 PM
RogerC - 2017-05-08 9:46 PM your 'smiley'
It is not a smiley because it isn't smiling
RogerC - 2017-05-08 9:46 PM Tell me you have ever made a sacrifice or served to protect anyone other than yourself?
I can see you are running out of material for your Ad hominem.But this is not about me. You mention saving the concentration camp victims - survivors who made it back home found their homes had been given to someone else who told them to 'go back where they came from'

Not a smiley?  Do some research....look up 'smiley' on Google you ill informed idiot.   (seeing as you so clearly miss them and love using 'Ad hominem' is that sufficient to satisfy your need to write 'Ad hominem' again?)

You said:

"You mention saving the concentration camp victims...... 

I did?  Where did I say that then?  Finding it difficult to read are we?... or is it too much to understand such a short post all at once?

...Please take note THIS topic is about demonstrating thanks and consideration....for a celebration of the ending of the war in Europe not a vehicle for you (and unfortunately responded to my me) to spout your usual soapbox rubbish.

So for once PLEASE leave a thread alone.  It is not all about who can 'twist' a topic the most.  It most certainly isn't about you and your sickening attitude towards things others hold dear....so please for once....just once:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41aUIdzovTL._SX300_.jpg

RogerC - 2017-05-08 10:48 PM

"You mention saving the concentration camp victims...... 

I did?  Where did I say that then?  Finding it difficult to read are we?... or is it too much to understand such a short post all at once?

here;

RogerC - 2017-05-08 9:05 PM

uncle who was one of the first into Bergen-Belsen and had the unenviable job of 'photographer of record' would love to meet you just before he laid you on your ungrateful back..

And when he had got what he wanted from them - their photographs, he apparently left them to find their own way home and find someone else in their home who told them to go back where they came from.

John52 - 2017-05-08 10:56 PM
RogerC - 2017-05-08 10:48 PM"You mention saving the concentration camp victims...... 

here;
RogerC - 2017-05-08 9:05 PM uncle who was one of the first into Bergen-Belsen and had the unenviable job of 'photographer of record' would love to meet you just before he laid you on your ungrateful back..
And when he had got what he wanted from them - their photographs, he apparently left them to find their own way home and find someone else in their home who told them to go back where they came from.

You really are one sick individual.  The photographs were for the war crimes investigation and other official post war reasons.  As you clearly have not the slightest idea of the aftermath......those incarcerated could not go 'home', assuming there was a home left to go to, because they were too weak, there was sickness and disease within the camps that meant they had to be held isolated from the rest of the population....typhoid, typhus and tuberculosis being the main causes of sickness.  

Now if you have nothing pleasant to say please give it a rest.

RogerC - 2017-05-08 10:48 PM

Not a smiley?  Do some research....look up 'smiley' on Google you ill informed idiot.   >

Google search for 'smiley comes up as 'smiling face'

This is what I posted ' *-)

This is a smiley :-D

RogerC - 2017-05-08 11:07 PM
John52 - 2017-05-08 10:56 PM
RogerC - 2017-05-08 10:48 PM"You mention saving the concentration camp victims...... 

here;
RogerC - 2017-05-08 9:05 PM uncle who was one of the first into Bergen-Belsen and had the unenviable job of 'photographer of record' would love to meet you just before he laid you on your ungrateful back..

You really are one sick individual.  The photographs were for the war crimes investigation and other official post war reasons.  As you clearly have not the slightest idea of the aftermath......those incarcerated could not go 'home', assuming there was a home left to go to, because they were too weak, there was sickness and disease within the camps that meant they had to be held isolated from the rest of the population....typhoid, typhus and tuberculosis being the main causes of sickness.  

Now if you have nothing pleasant to say please give it a rest.
Some concentration camp victims did get home - and found their homes had been given to someone else who told them to go back where they came from.

would love to meet you just before he laid you on your ungrateful back...

This is what I wrote, and you are trying to change the context of by claiming the emoticon I used was a smiling face.

I only hope the moderators leave your ad hominem personal attacks on me in place, because they are like water off a ducks back to me, and show the weakness of your arguments when you have to descend to that level.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-05-09 7:38 AM

This is what I wrote, and you are trying to change the context of by claiming the emoticon I used was a smiling face.

I only hope the moderators leave your ad hominem personal attacks on me in place, because they are like water off a ducks back to me, and show the weakness of your arguments when you have to descend to that level.

How very Jeremy Corbyn *-) .........

No doubt he to wonders why folk aren't prepared to agree with his pacifist views ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2017-05-09 8:00 AM

No doubt he to wonders why folk aren't prepared to agree with his pacifist views ;-) .........

Oh I think Jeremy Corbyn knows why that is. Its because they prefer to believe what they read in the Daily Mail *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-05-09 8:11 AM

Oh I think Jeremy Corbyn knows why that is. Its because they prefer to believe what they read in the Daily Mail *-)

Well if it makes you and Corbyn feel better to believe that so be it ;-) ........

Fortunately that means Labour are destined to only ever rule in La la land B-) .......

Apologies to everyone else but....

It wasn't so many months ago that you were telling us all that we shouldn't have even got involved in WW2, as the Nazis invading Poland, "wasn't our fight"..!?

(it was amongst one of your many "bl**dy foreigners.. coming' over 'ere " motivated posts)

So how do you square your previous view, with your comment above..?

(It'd also be interesting to hear RogerC's view on your- we shouldn't have got involved- approach..?)

I would've thought that the likes of VE Day is not just a time to remember the "military" causalities/sacrifices but also a time to think of the many thousands of civilians who would've also perished..be it in a concentring camp or whilst just sheltering down in their family homes... :-S

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2017-05-09 8:49 AM

Apologies to everyone else but....

It wasn't so many months ago that you were telling us all that we shouldn't have even got involved in WW2, as the Nazis invading Poland, "wasn't our fight"..!?

(it was amongst one of your many "bl**dy foreigners.. coming' over 'ere " motivated posts)

So how do you square your previous view, with your comment above..?

(It'd also be interesting to hear RogerC's view on your- we shouldn't have got involved- approach..?)

I would've thought that the likes of VE Day is not just a time to remember the "military" causalities/sacrifices but also a time to think of the many thousands of civilians who would've also perished..be it in a concentring camp or whilst just sheltering down in their family homes... :-S

I'm all for defending ourselves if attacked ;-) .........I'm not so keen on sticking our noses into other folks business :-| ..........

As for WW2 wasn't that all about stopping Europe from being dominated by Germany?........well that worked didn't it >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2017-05-09 9:26 AM

pepe63 - 2017-05-09 8:49 AM

I'm all for defending ourselves if attacked ;-) .........I'm not so keen on sticking our noses into other folks business :-| ..........

Okay, so re; WW2, you hold the view that we were, quote: " sticking our noses into other folks business" ....?

Interesting...

I bet if the likes of John52 had posted such a view, he would've been jumped on and torn into for being a "loony La La land leftie" who was "disrespecting" those who had died during the conflict... :-S

Archived