Voices of the First World War

Violet1956

antony1969 - 2017-12-11 2:09 PM

Very brave men who fought in horrendous conditions ... Wonder if you could ask them now 100 years on if all that death was worth the country we live in ... Somehow doubt it ... God bless them

I’ve never under-estimated what they did for me Antony. My maternal grandpa was wounded on his way to the third battle of Ypres and I would rather that you didn’t post comments on this thread that detract from the debt that we owe to him and others who fought in that terrible war especially those who, unlike him, did not come back.

In short, it is inappropriate in my view for you to use this thread in order to express your views on the current state of the UK. We all know what they are and hardly need to be reminded.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-11 4:53 PM

Very brave men who fought in horrendous conditions ... Wonder if you could ask them now 100 years on if all that death was worth the country we live in ... Somehow doubt it ... God bless them

I’ve never under-estimated what they did for me Antony. My maternal grandpa was wounded on his way to the third battle of Ypres and I would rather that you didn’t post comments on this thread that detract from the debt that we owe to him and others who fought in that terrible war especially those who, unlike him, did not come back.

In short, it is inappropriate in my view for you to use this thread in order to express your views on the current state of the UK. We all know what they are and hardly need to be reminded.

Quite.

The Menin Gate ceremony at Ypres is well worth going if you haven't been. Incredible to think it's been carried out every evening at 8pm since 1928 and apart from the Last Post, every evening is different. Visitors from all over the world have attended. A nice little bar/restaurant right opposite the memorial which is useful.

Bulletguy - 2017-12-11 5:19 PM

Quite.

The Menin Gate ceremony at Ypres is well worth going if you haven't been. Incredible to think it's been carried out every evening at 8pm since 1928 and apart from the Last Post, every evening is different. Visitors from all over the world have attended. A nice little bar/restaurant right opposite the memorial which is useful.

Hi Bullet. We went to the Menin Gate ceremony and to others at various war cemeteries thereabouts to mark the centenary of the Battle of Messines in June this year. What lingered in my head was how my grandpa could not have contemplated that his descendants would prosper nor imagine us sitting in a peaceful square in Ypres enjoying a drink to his memory.

Veronica , I salute your grandpa and all who fought and who would rather I am sure have been anywhere else on earth at that moment rather than the hell they faced ... They fought for freedom and in the memory of your grandpa you might do well to remember that ... I asked a simple question regarding the sacrifice they made and you and my stalker seem to have turned it into something different ... That says more about you and him than me in my book ... Thats a shame but hardly surprising

antony1969 - 2017-12-11 5:40 PM

Veronica , I salute your grandpa and all who fought and who would rather I am sure have been anywhere else on earth at that moment rather than the hell they faced ... They fought for freedom and in the memory of your grandpa you might do well to remember that ... I asked a simple question regarding the sacrifice they made and you and my stalker seem to have turned it into something different ... That says more about you and him than me in my book ... Thats a shame but hardly surprising

My grandpa and his compatriots are not accountable for the state of the UK at present Antony. So I continue to plead that you do not imply that their sacrifice was wasted.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-11 5:50 PM

My grandpa and his compatriots are not accountable for the state of the UK at present Antony. So I continue to plead that you do not imply that their sacrifice was wasted.

Veronica ... Plead is a very strong word to use regarding me stopping asking a simple question ... Those brave fellas fought for their children and their futures are you pleading that I don't ask if they could would they think it was worth it ??? ... Please don't insult me with your silliness Im sat here looking at my Grandads medals on my wall

antony1969 - 2017-12-11 6:00 PM

Veronica ... Plead is a very strong word to use regarding me stopping asking a simple question ... Those brave fellas fought for their children and their futures are you pleading that I don't ask if they could would they think it was worth it ??? ... Please don't insult me with your silliness Im sat here looking at my Grandads medals on my wall

Best left to another thread Antony. I don't doubt that your forbears like mine made sacrifices but it seems to me that we would appear to be a bunch of ingrates if we say their sacrifice wasn't worth it. Just wish you had the decency to reserve your remarks for other threads on the current state of the nation. But hey, carry on if you must.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-11 6:20 PM

Best left to another thread Antony. I don't doubt that your forbears like mine made sacrifices but it seems to me that we would appear to be a bunch of ingrates if we say their sacrifice wasn't worth it. Just wish you had the decency to reserve your remarks for other threads on the current state of the nation. But hey, carry on if you must.

Just lay out exactly Veronica what on earth Ive done for you to start throwing insults around regarding my decency towards those who died or where wounded ??? ... I asked a simple question ... An explanation rather than insults might be good ... Decency ... I don't care about any names thrown at me on here by stalkers but how dare you claim the high ground on me and claim I don't show decency towards the brave purely because I asked a simple question ??? ... When you say "carry on if you must" what is that , carry on with what exactly ??? ... Utter tosh

antony1969 - 2017-12-11 7:10 PM

Just lay out exactly Veronica what on earth Ive done for you to start throwing insults around regarding my decency towards those who died or where wounded ??? ... I asked a simple question ... An explanation rather than insults might be good ... Decency ... I don't care about any names thrown at me on here by stalkers but how dare you claim the high ground on me and claim I don't show decency towards the brave purely because I asked a simple question ??? ... Utter tosh

Wearisome though this is Antony I have offered no insult to you. All I have asked is that you look back to what our forbears did for what they thought was best for their country.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-11 7:30 PM

Just lay out exactly Veronica what on earth Ive done for you to start throwing insults around regarding my decency towards those who died or where wounded ??? ... I asked a simple question ... An explanation rather than insults might be good ... Decency ... I don't care about any names thrown at me on here by stalkers but how dare you claim the high ground on me and claim I don't show decency towards the brave purely because I asked a simple question ??? ... Utter tosh

Wearisome though this is Antony I have offered no insult to you. All I have asked is that you look back to what our forbears did for what they thought was best for their country.

Bringing my decency into it when talking about war dead isn't an insult ??? ... What they did back then paved the way for what happens now , to deny it would be plain crazy ... I wonder if any other member had posted my original question if you would have reacted in such a hissy fit way

antony1969 - 2017-12-11 7:36 PM

Bringing my decency into it when talking about war dead isn't an insult ??? ... What they did back then paved the way for what happens now , to deny it would be plain crazy ... I wonder if any other member had posted my original question if you would have reacted in such a hissy fit way

I can't help having my hissy fit as you describe it. I started the thread to alert people to something that might interest them. There's nothing quite like the voices of the soldiers in the Great War to remind us of the sacrifices they made. You tried to turn it into a platform for what you believe is the parlous state of the nation currently. I made my plea to you in the hope that you would avoid conflating their sacrifice with the current state of the nation as you see it. It fell on deaf ears.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-11 7:49 PM

I can't help having my hissy fit as you describe it. I started the thread to alert people to something that might interest them. There's nothing quite like the voices of the soldiers in the Great War to remind us of the sacrifices they made. You tried to turn it into a platform for what you believe is the parlous state of the nation currently. I made my plea to you in the hope that you would avoid conflating their sacrifice with the current state of the nation as you see it. It fell on deaf ears.

Utter tosh ... I asked what those who fought would think Veronica and you start questioning my decency regarding war dead and wounded ... Your embarrassing yourself and their memory when you start pleading for me not to ask what these brave men would make of the state of the nation they fought for , actually I think its disgraceful ... End the conversation please

antony1969 - 2017-12-11 8:07 PM

Utter tosh ... I asked what those who fought would think Veronica and you start questioning my decency regarding war dead and wounded ... Your embarrassing yourself and their memory when you start pleading for me not to ask what these brave men would make of the state of the nation they fought for , actually I think its disgraceful ... End the conversation please

As far as I am concerned the conversation is ended. Go hijack another thread.

I've not bothered to read beyond the first few posts as it appears to be degenerating into a spat.

Suffice to say I am thankful to 'all' those who have served across the decades to enable us to live as we do today.  Those who died, were maimed, those who stayed at home to 'keep the home fires burning' and all the other unsung heroes who did their 'duty'.  Military, Politicians, Joe Public....Tommy Atkins, Uncle Tom Cobbley, Land Army, Voluntary Services etc etc one and all  I salute you, I pass no judgement, I am simply grateful, unquestioningly grateful for what you have done.

Violet1956 - 2017-12-11 8:10 PM

antony1969 - 2017-12-11 8:07 PM

As far as I am concerned the conversation is ended. Go hijack another thread.

Thankyou Veronica ... You ended the conversation then started it again it with a further insult ... This from someone who questions peoples decency B-)

Violet1956 - 2017-12-11 5:38 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-12-11 5:19 PM

Quite.

Hi Bullet. We went to the Menin Gate ceremony and to others at various war cemeteries thereabouts to mark the centenary of the Battle of Messines in June this year. What lingered in my head was how my grandpa could not have contemplated that his descendants would prosper nor imagine us sitting in a peaceful square in Ypres enjoying a drink to his memory.

It's certainly a very moving ceremony and memorable experience. Just before the Last Post played i took time to look at some of the names of the missing on the wall behind where i stood. All ranks from Private to Captain and different nations.

It's worth looking on google images at the many photos of Ypres during 1st ww. Virtually razed to the ground, just bombed out rubble and ruin. It was rebuilt using money paid by Germany in reparations including the Cloth Hall which dominates the centre square. An incredible piece of architecture as is St Martins Cathedral which i really wanted to see inside but when i was there there was some sort of outside broadcast going on with huge television studio trucks parked up, so it had been closed off.

This is a good site about Ypres; http://www.greatwar.co.uk/ypres-salient/battles-ypres-salient.htm

The casualty and death tolls on both sides are truly chilling.

antony1969 - 2017-12-11 2:09 PMVery brave men who fought in horrendous conditions ... Wonder if you could ask them now 100 years on if all that death was worth the country we live in ... Somehow doubt it ... God bless them

A question possibly not couched in the best of terms, as is clearly demonstrated by the responses.  However I take your meaning and it is my opinion that, accepting the way things were back then and accepting that their opinions had not changed....  In other words 'outside looking in', I would hazard a guess that a great many would be rather disappointed in the way the world has gone by not 'learning' from their generations pain.  However that does not, and I would not 'ever' detract anything from their sacrifices.  It is merely an observation that those generations that have gone before, those that have suffered and sacrificed so much yet 'we' ...the collective 'we' still appear in so many ways not to have learned from them.  In that I include 'all' races, colours and creeds.

Peace and harmonious living is a wonderful ideology.  However I fear it is a fools ambition never to be achieved.

Archived