Water pump

Mick B

I have just been prepping the van for a trip away this weekend and noticed a problem with the water pump. the van is a Fiat Swift Capri 520.

When the power is on (either mains or battery) the water pumps runs constantly. I can not work out why as three weeks ago onthe last outing all was well. can any one suggest a fix.

Not sure that you can fix it maybe I,m wrong but its a switch and maybe its gone kapoot ! if the switch has gone this would cause the pump to keep going ..It must work on a vacume and when you open the tap this senses it ..Sorry others will probably prove me wrong ..

Good Luck with it

Guest peter
You've either got a leak, got air in the system (open a tap), got an empty tank or the pressure switch is faulty, or the pick up pipe in the tank is not in the water and is sucking air. If water is coming out of the taps then it is probably the switch. The pump always runs for a few seconds to charge the anti pulsation cylinder, but should stop when the set pressure is reached.

Assuming you have the Fiamma three chamber type pump with integral pressure switch I would say its most likely that the switch has packed up. I recently had to change a pump for a customer because of exactly this problem and I spent several hours trying to sort the switch to no avail. I could not see anything wrong with it but it would not switch off unless you tapped the switch.

D.

From memory Swifts at that time had a variable pressure switch located near the pump. In my 1998 Sundance I often had to tweak it to stop the pump from running when taps were closed. It made a difference when the battery voltage was down as well.

Hope this helps...

Archived