Well done stupid Puritans.........

Guest pelmetman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds a rather too daft to be true. Is it the truth, the whole truth and nothing but Dave? You never can tell from a report in the media. Perhaps the RNLI cannot disclose the entire content of the disciplinary action and what is was for and their inability to do so is being exploited.

Violet1956 - 2018-05-03 10:51 AM

Sounds a rather too daft to be true. Is it the truth, the whole truth and nothing but Dave? You never can tell from a report in the media. Perhaps the RNLI cannot disclose the entire content of the disciplinary action and what is was for and their inability to do so is being exploited.

"...It's absolutely true because I read it in the Daily Mail..."

?

Typical of the Wail yet more inaccuracies in favour of publishing a screechy header which is utter nonsense.

I've supported the RNLI for years but you don't even need be a supporter to know volunteers cannot be sacked as they have no contract of employment, only the few full time employees the RNLI has can be dismissed. They have actually been 'stood down' pending an investigation and here is the RNLI statement which the Wail didn't publish;

https://www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/news/local-news/2569000/whitby-rnli-lifeboat-volunteers-stood-down-over-sexual-material/

Sadly the petition has been taken down in fear of breaking t&c's. I hope the RNLI see some sense over defining "inappropriate material of a sexual nature" and reinstate immediately....otherwise newsagents will end up selling The Sun and Star in brown paper bags and topless sunbathers will be banished from the beaches.

But it doesn't sound as if it's just about the "mugs" though, does it BG..

They also mention, quote:

".. associated social media activity directed at an RNLI staff member".

They then to on to mention "We cannot allow bullying, harassment or discrimination..."

So without knowing what this "social media activity" was, it's neigh on impossible to judge..

(..not that it would stop the "I don't/can't read past a headline" types)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2018-05-03 3:10 PM

They then to on to mention "We cannot allow bullying, harassment or discrimination..."

So without knowing what this "social media activity" was, it's neigh on impossible to judge..

You mean like folk being nasty to each other on the tinternet? ;-) ..........

Well that's this forum stuffed >:-)..........

It seems to me that there is much more to this than silly mugs exchanged as Secret Santa presents. Nevertheless, “sexual material” be it depicting men or women in a sexually provocative manner is almost invariably inappropriate in the workplace in my view. You’re there to work, be it in an employed or a voluntary capacity. You can choose to buy the Daily Star and its ilk but your place of work should be one in which you are not allowed to display images that reduce the subject of that image to a mere sexual object unless perhaps it a brothel or Soho type venue. I have no difficulty in accepting that such businesses or venues display what their clients expect. It is quite a different thing to work in or visit premises that are nothing to do with the sex trade or entertainment. There are people depicted in these “sexy” images that often share the gender of your work colleagues and/or clients so there is no room for any implied suggestion that to you they are potential “eye candy”, or not as the case may be. I rejoice in the fact that the days when I would take my car into a garage and be confronted by a whole host of women in various states of undress adorning the walls are long gone. I don’t believe that is being puritanical it is just common sense and decency, reflecting that you accept a colleague or client of the opposite gender as more than “a piece of meat”.

Violet1956 - 2018-05-03 3:43 PM

Nevertheless, “sexual material” be it depicting men or women in a sexually provocative manner is almost invariably inappropriate in the workplace in my view.

Sounds like you haven't seen the pictures on the mugs.

;-)

Apparently the image on the mug according to one report had the head of an employee photoshopped on it. (lol)

There must be more too this though if its gone legal.

I like the mug idea though. I know what I am sending Antony and Dave for Christmas now at least.

I dunno if I agree about the calendars in garages Veronica. How far do you go. When I worked in an office the girls had screen savers of hunky blokes (diet coke add?). Some of the blokes had the latest super model or whatever. Who cares? Workplaces are very much in danger of becoming a bit sterile if you ask me.

pepe63 - 2018-05-03 3:10 PM

I noticed that Pepe and i read "staff member" as 1) an individual and 2) management, so i'm doubtful it was crew. However if there has been online social media abuse at a serious level then that's an issue for the police to deal with.

Violet1956 - 2018-05-03 3:43 PM

It seems to me that there is much more to this than silly mugs exchanged as Secret Santa presents. Nevertheless, “sexual material” be it depicting men or women in a sexually provocative manner is almost invariably inappropriate in the workplace in my view. You’re there to work, be it in an employed or a voluntary capacity.

You may be right as i can't for a minute believe anyone could get in a tizzy over that mug......or can they?! Personally i found it amusing and it certainly didn't 'do' anything for me other than give me a laugh!

I don't think we are going to agree on the 'sexually provocative' bit either Veronica as you will see far more naked flesh on beaches up and down UK. Whether any of that is 'sexual' or 'provocative' is a matter for every individuals mind!

You might have a case to argue on that when wacko Jacko was performing his crotch grabbing and thrusting routine on stage and currently singers like Ariana Grande who perform in skimpy outfits......and who is her core audience? Kids.

Barryd999 - 2018-05-03 4:10 PM

Apparently the image on the mug according to one report had the head of an employee photoshopped on it. (lol)

I like the mug idea though. I know what I am sending Antony and Dave for Christmas now at least.

I dunno if I agree about the calendars in garages Veronica. How far do you go. When I worked in an office the girls had screen savers of hunky blokes (diet coke add?). Some of the blokes had the latest super model or whatever. Who cares? Workplaces are very much in danger of becoming a bit sterile if you ask me.

It's kind of a thin line between what is acceptable in private and public. I am certainly not advocating a sterile environment as far as sexual attraction between individuals in the workplace or any sphere. But you boys should know that putting up posters or having mugs of semi-naked women lying around will not increase your chances of success. It rather smacks of desperately punching above your weight in most cases and the same no doubt applies to the women with the George Clooney screensavers.

(lol)

Violet1956 - 2018-05-03 4:23 PM

It's kind of a thin line between what is acceptable in private and public. I am certainly not advocating a sterile environment as far as sexual attraction between individuals in the workplace or any sphere. But you boys should know that putting up posters or having mugs of semi-naked women lying around will not increase your chances of success. It rather smacks of desperately punching above your weight in most cases and the same no doubt applies to the women with the George Clooney screensavers.

(lol)

Years ago we had a calendar 'issue' in one dept i worked which was manned entirely by men, no female workers at all. The girly calendar's were ordered to be removed, yet in the next block which had mixed male/female workers, one of the women had a calendar of 6 pack hunks on the wall. Why should male workers have had to put up with displays of such disgusting filth?! 8-)

Double standards! ;-)

Bulletguy - 2018-05-03 4:58 PM

(lol)

Years ago we had a calendar 'issue' in one dept i worked which was manned entirely by men, no female workers at all. The girly calendar's were ordered to be removed, yet in the next block which had mixed male/female workers, one of the women had a calendar of 6 pack hunks on the wall. Why should male workers have had to put up with displays of such disgusting filth?! 8-)

Double standards! ;-)

The short answer is that the male workers shouldn't have to put up with it Paul.

Violet1956 - 2018-05-03 5:17 PM

(lol)

Double standards! ;-)

The short answer is that the male workers shouldn't have to put up with it Paul.

Oh Lordy ... Would a semi-naked beach hunk offend Paul on the beach ... No quite the opposite I bet so why should a picture on a wall of a semi-naked fella upset him unless he was a serial wet whinger

On reviewing all of the comments on this thread I am taken back to a time when I shared an office with a bloke who regularly put up pictures of “Page 3” girls behind his desk. I did not feel threatened or demeaned by it, in fact I gave him the central part of a Queen album I had bought that had the naked girls on bicycles with gorgeous bottoms because I knew how much he would appreciate it, and all in all, he was an intelligent and decent bloke who was bound to detect the sense of irony in my gift. That was as it was in the late 70s but this is now. I struggled to accept at that time that a woman’s most important attribute for most of my male colleagues was her physical appearance. Not having any possibility in winning on that front I chose to seek to exceed their achievements on the work front and prove my worth in other ways. It’s been a hard slog so I am particularly sensitive to any behaviours in the workplace that reduce women to sexual objects, to be judged in part or in whole as to how they compare with “super models”. May be some of you on here just won’t get it but I hope you will. It is something that applies not only to ordinary women but also to the beautiful. The latter have often suffered even greater difficulty in proving that it is their brains that are worthier of recognition than their appearance and the former have often had to be far better than their male counterparts in order to succeed in their endeavours.

Here endeth the feminist lesson from my particular viewpoint. Would that there were more women on here to add their sixpenneth. I don’t seek to suggest for a moment that I speak for all women and lest it be thought that I hate all men I don't and nor do I believe that I am so minging that I have an obvious axe to grind. I shall seek confirmation from the George Clooney I have indoors on that front!

;-)

(lol)

Double standards! ;-)

It never bothered any of us really but it was obviously questioned why us blokes in an all male section had been banned from sticking page three calendars up, but women in a mixed sex environment with their 6 pack pump up boys on the wall were ignored! :-S

Bulletguy - 2018-05-03 5:48 PM

(lol)

Double standards! ;-)

It never bothered any of us really but it was obviously questioned why us blokes in an all male section had been banned from sticking page three calendars up, but women in a mixed sex environment with their 6 pack pump up boys on the wall were ignored! :-S

Given your love of running off to those in charge as you do on here didn't you complain ??? ... Maybe you should have wrote to your local MP ... Again ... I think this is a made up story

Violet1956 - 2018-05-03 5:37 PM

On reviewing all of the comments on this thread I am taken back to a time when I shared an office with a bloke who regularly put up pictures of “Page 3” girls behind his desk. I did not feel threatened or demeaned by it, in fact I gave him the central part of a Queen album I had bought that had the naked girls on bicycles with gorgeous bottoms because I knew how much he would appreciate it, and all in all, he was an intelligent and decent bloke who was bound to detect the sense of irony in my gift. That was as it was in the late 70s but this is now. I struggled to accept at that time that a woman’s most important attribute for most of my male colleagues was her physical appearance. Not having any possibility in winning on that front I chose to seek to exceed their achievements on the work front and prove my worth in other ways. It’s been a hard slog so I am particularly sensitive to any behaviours in the workplace that reduce women to sexual objects, to be judged in part or in whole as to how they compare with “super models”. May be some of you on here just won’t get it but I hope you will. It is something that applies not only to ordinary women but also to the beautiful. The latter have often suffered even greater difficulty in proving that it is their brains that are worthier of recognition than their appearance and the former have often had to be far better than their male counterparts in order to succeed in their endeavours.

Here endeth the feminist lesson from my particular viewpoint. Would that there were more women on here to add their sixpenneth. I don’t seek to suggest for a moment that I speak for all women and lest it be thought that I hate all men I don't and nor do I believe that I am so minging that I have an obvious axe to grind. I shall seek confirmation from the George Clooney I have indoors on that front!

;-)

Hell's bell's at this rate we will have to close the National Gallery cos it can't be art if it shows naked flesh.

The lunatics are definitely in charge of the asylum. :D *-) :D

malc d - 2018-05-03 8:10 PM

It's always struck me as odd that women spend millions on making themselves look attractive and yet so many of them are so put out when it works.

;-)

Millions Malc? And pray do tell what you think what amounts to “works”. Without further clarity it may sound a bit like you come from the “she asked for it” brigade although I doubt that a man of your calibre is a member of it.

Archived