What changes after Jan 31st

John52

We will still be bound by EU rules and regulations.

All that changes is we no longer have a seat at the table or any say in the rules and regulations we are bound by.

(So we will need to employ more people in Brussels to try and find out second-hand what is being decided for us in the closed meetings, instead of hearing it directly by being in on them.)

Unless I am missing something fundamental here?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will all be a bit of an anti climax. The word Brexit or discussing it has been banned by the Tories. They have even banned themselves from appearing on the news or in public especially the Prime Minister. They will now try and bury it for a bit and themselves and the normal service of running around like headless chickens trying to figure out what to do next will resume probably early December. We will just have to wait or talk about something else until then.

John52 - 2020-01-25 7:55 AM

We will still be bound by EU rules and regulations. All that changes is we no longer have a seat at the table or any say in the rules and regulations we are bound by.

Pretty much it in a nutshell. We 'achieve' third country status and become a vassal state.

(So we will need to employ more people in Brussels to try and find out second-hand what is being decided for us in the closed meetings, instead of hearing it directly by being in on them.)

Unless I am missing something fundamental here?

Brexpress and the Daily Fail will make stories up......no change there then. Mass production of unicorns? Johnson will go into the printing business after the last of his magic money trees die?

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-25 3:55 PM

This is fun. Does anyone know what the collective noun is for a bunch of losers and whingers?

Brexiteers......who seem more bitter and angry than ever now. :-|

Realising they can no longer blame the EU, Corbyn, 'Remoaners', climate change, the weather, leaves on the line and God knows what else for their woes, along with now being held to account for everything they fail to deliver on or goes tits up....hmm, perhaps thats what is making them so bitter and angry. (lol)(lol)

Wetting myself with laughter!

Then you need some incontinence pants.

This is fun. Does anyone know what the collective noun is for a bunch of losers and whingers?

Years ago I followed the advice of Warren Buffet to his wife and put 90% of my savings and pension in the S&P500. Just checked https://markets.ft.com/data/etfs/tearsheet/summary?s=CSP1:LSE:GBX and it hit another record high this week.

So when you've changed your pants can you tell me what I personally have lost from Brexit that you haven't *-)

747 - 2020-01-26 8:49 AM

I hope you sent President Trump a thankyou card for boosting your savings. ;-)

My savings have risen despite Trump, not because of him.

Trump moves markets with his Tweets indicating where he is going to stoke up a Trade War next.

The only way I could benefit from Trump would be if he told me about his Tweets before he posted them.

John52 - 2020-01-26 8:56 AM

Years ago I followed the advice of Warren Buffet to his wife and put 90% of my savings and pension in the S&P500. Just checked https://markets.ft.com/data/etfs/tearsheet/summary?s=CSP1:LSE:GBX and it hit another record high this week.

So when you've changed your pants can you tell me what I personally have lost from Brexit that you haven't *-)

Jolly good job that you didn't invest in 2000 then, because by 2010 you'd have lost half of your money. Thank you though for highlighting the successes of the Trump administration in boosting the economy and thank you for your faith in the capitalist system, proven to be the best for raising everyone's standing of living. Very decent of you.

As for what you have lost personally, how the hell I am expected to know what you and others have lost or gained personally? You are very dim sometimes. Although it did give you another opportunity to boast about your investing prowess, or luck, as most people would call it.

What you and other lefties on here have lost though is the general election, where my side absolutely wiped the floor with your side. What you and others on here have lost is your battle to keep the UK in the failing empire that is the EU. On occasions you also appear to have lost your mind, considering some of the garbage that you write.

John52 - 2020-01-26 4:56 PM

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-26 11:02 AM

how the hell I am expected to know what you and others have lost or gained personally?

So when you call us 'Losers' you've no idea what you are talking about as usual :D

You must have missed the last paragraph of my post. When did I ever mention your personal financial losses? Losing the EU and losing the election has addled your brain. I know you must be upset but try to get over it.

What happens is that from 23:00 GMT on that day the UK becomes a Third Country and we, as citizens of that country, for the first time since 1 Jan 1973, become restricted to spending a maximum of 90 days in any 180 day period inside the EU/Schengen zone for tourism/holiday purposes. Isn't that enough? :-S

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-26 5:50 PM

What happens is that from 23:00 GMT on that day the UK becomes a Third Country and we, as citizens of that country, for the first time since 1 Jan 1973, become restricted to spending a maximum of 90 days in any 180 day period inside the EU/Schengen zone for tourism/holiday purposes. Isn't that enough? :-S

Apart from the exodus of Brexit voting Brits now fleeing to Spain because "living in an EU country is more beneficial". :-S

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-26 6:50 PM

I can cope and I have a house in France.

Bulletguy - 2020-01-26 5:59 PM

Apart from the exodus of Brexit voting Brits now fleeing to Spain because "living in an EU country is more beneficial". :-S

But, as stated in the clip, they only gain that right (irrespective of how they voted! :-)) if they are granted residency, and stay in the country that grants them that privilege. Those of us who merely visit, lose our present right to spend unlimited time in the EU/Schengen zone.

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-26 6:20 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-01-26 5:59 PM

But, as stated in the clip, they only gain that right (irrespective of how they voted! :-)) if they are granted residency, and stay in the country that grants them that privilege. Those of us who merely visit, lose our present right to spend unlimited time in the EU/Schengen zone.

Well as you know i've had a very different experience of the '90 day rule' and discovered it's always been there, just never enforced...at least not at the border. What staggers me though is the sheer arrogance and hypocrisy such as the guy from Liverpool. I empathised with the elderly couple in the clip who now see their planned dreams of retiring to Spain likely to be ruined.

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-26 6:14 PM

But, do you already have residency in France?

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-27 5:12 PM

No and I'm not applying. I only use it now about three times a year for a month or two and my family uses it more than my wife and I do. I don't rent it so there are no financial implications. Brexit will make little difference to second-home owners. People will still buy houses as many homes are already owned by people from outside the EU. Those living permanently will eventually have to obtain a carte de séjour, as will those staying for longer periods.

Of course the Schengen 90 Day rule will only apply if there is no deal. It is likely that part of the new deal will be longer access, as people such as me contribute enormously to the French economy and in many cases have halted the decline of a large number of French villages.

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-30 10:56 AM

Brian Kirby - 2020-01-27 5:12 PM

No and I'm not applying. I only use it now about three times a year for a month or two and my family uses it more than my wife and I do. I don't rent it so there are no financial implications. Brexit will make little difference to second-home owners. People will still buy houses as many homes are already owned by people from outside the EU. Those living permanently will eventually have to obtain a carte de séjour, as will those staying for longer periods.

Of course the Schengen 90 Day rule will only apply if there is no deal. It is likely that part of the new deal will be longer access, as people such as me contribute enormously to the French economy and in many cases have halted the decline of a large number of French villages.

8o|

That's a new one on me. As far as I am aware unless we stay in the single market which includes free movement of people the 90 day rule applies deal or no deal.

Barryd999 - 2020-01-30 12:10 PM

That's a new one on me. As far as I am aware unless we stay in the single market which includes free movement of people the 90 day rule applies deal or no deal.

I repeat in this, my last post!

'It is likely that part of the new deal will be longer access, as people such as me contribute enormously to the French economy and in many cases have halted the decline of a large number of French villages.'

In other words, if you have a second home home in France the French government may well grant extended stays. If they don't it's still no problem. You apply for residency as do the Americans and Australians who have a house in France.

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-30 11:24 AM

people such as me have caused the decline of a large number of French villages

There. Fixed that for you ;-)

Why do you think villagers should be grateful for second home Cretins jacking up property prices out of their reach, and contributing sod all to the Community *-)

John52 - 2020-01-30 11:37 AM

FunsterJohn - 2020-01-30 11:24 AM

people such as me have caused the decline of a large number of French villages

There. Fixed that for you ;-)

Why do you think villagers should be grateful for second home Cretins jacking up property prices out of their reach, and contributing sod all to the Community *-)

I bet the French love him. (lol)

Schengen rules are Schengen rules. I certainly have seen nothing that indicates deal or no deal we will get any kind of special treatment as regards extended stays within the Schengen group of countries.

Archived