What's your greatest claim to fame?

J9withdogs

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest caraprof

I was responsible for fathering Alexandra Louise Wilkinson, B.Sc. (Hons) aged 21.

My wife and I had given up hope of having a family and decided that I must be firing blanks. Suddenly at the age of 39 my wife announced that she was pregnant. Alex was born when my wife had just turned 40 and she has been a total joy for the last 21 years.

That's my greatest achievement in life!

John H - 2007-10-04 6:04 PM

I bumped into Robert Plant in the Kidderminster shopping centre once B-)

If you go into a certain pub in Wolverley, you can stand next to him at the bar!

I had dinner with Albert Lee on my birthday this year (I have dinner with him quite often, but that sounds boring )

If you haven't heard of him check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Lee

John H - 2007-10-04 6:23 PM

Jan,

I was talking to a Radiotherapist who goes in that pub and she said that every sentence he speaks starts with "when I was touring in the states".

I heard they were thinking of getting back together again?

They are playing the O2 arena (or the Dome as we know it) on 26th November 2007.

Funnily enough Albert was due to play that gig but has pulled out,

Many moons ago I used to be in the Guinness Book of Records, under the Rowing section, as the holder of the fastest single sculls completion of the Lincoln to Boston Marathon (longest rowing race in the word, 34 miles).

A single scull is where you row on your own using two "blades" (oars), rather than as a member of a larger crew each using one oar).

But then the buggers changed and slimmed down the format of the book and dropped loads of records from further publication, including mine.

First University Honours Graduate in our family; and then the first family member to achieve full membership of chartered professional bodies: initially the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development; and then later in my business career I was also elected as a full member of the Chartered Institute of Directors.

Dunno if all these people count as famous, but in my time I've met:

Prince and Princess of Wales (She was just fantastic), Malcolm Rifkind ((it's not nice to insult people)), Sir John Harvery-Jones (what an amazing presence), Michael Schumaker (really nice, easygoing chap), Greg Ridley (base guitarist with Humble Pie) shortly before his untimely death, blah blah blah.....

Lectured a bit at Aston University Business School on Recruitment and Selection Techniques.

Been on UK TV a couple of times (talking bo**ocks of course, as usual).

Then, since retiring from the business world in order to come and enjoy the 2nd part of my life in a MUCH more relaxed style here in Spain:

Have a regular two-weekly news-review show slot on the main English language radio station here on the Costa Blanca.

I guess the biggest musical concert claim to fame was when I played with my big 5-piece rock band, at the biggest Harley-Davidson and biker festival in Spain the summer before last - 30,000 attenders. What a buzz!

Just like almost everyone else, I've made no lasting contribution to pushing the Human Race forwards at all, I've just done (and am doing) the things that have given me personal challenges and enjoyment at that point in my life.

:-D

caraprof - 2007-10-04 6:03 PM

I was responsible for fathering Alexandra Louise Wilkinson, B.Sc. (Hons) aged 21.

My wife and I had given up hope of having a family and decided that I must be firing blanks. Suddenly at the age of 39 my wife announced that she was pregnant. Alex was born when my wife had just turned 40 and she has been a total joy for the last 21 years.

That's my greatest achievement in life!

That's lovely, Frank!Here's me wondering how I've raised my lad single-handedly for 25 years without killing him :D

Presented with an award from the humane society for hauling two people in big trouble out of the River Witham in Boston Linc's, where I moor my boat.

Been married to my shopaholic wife for 30 odd Yrs and still managed to stay solvent, just. :D

Guest caraprof
peter - 2007-10-04 8:43 PM Presented with an award from the humane society for hauling two people in big trouble out of the River Witham in Boston Linc's, where I moor my boat. Been married to my shopaholic wife for 30 odd Yrs and still managed to stay solvent, just. :D

Seriously, well done! How long did you spend on the risk assessment before you went to the rescue and weren't they fortunate that you'd previously done your Health and Safety Department's water survival course!

Archived