Whats happened to Jam

kelly58

One thing I enjoy is Jam on Toast and Marmalade on Toast , but what has happened to my tasty treat ? Nowadays  its more like a Chivers Jelly in a jar . You used to be able to spread it nicely on your buttered toast now it just rolls around and falls off the bread its just a wobbly glob . Is it me or is it just a cheap alternative to proper food ?

kelly58 - 2012-08-18 8:41 AM

One thing I enjoy is Jam on Toast and Marmalade on Toast , but what has happened to my tasty treat ? Nowadays  its more like a Chivers Jelly in a jar . You used to be able to spread it nicely on your buttered toast now it just rolls around and falls off the bread its just a wobbly glob . Is it me or is it just a cheap alternative to proper food ?

make your own like my wife does, we have got jars and jars of the stuff in the utility room.

Perhaps you need to buy a different brand: there are quite a lot of choices. This is not a 1960's eastern block country where one could probably only buy 'Red Jam'.

We like the jam / marmalade from Lidl.

Be adventurous: go shopping ......... :-S

Harvey

Some spreadable butters have gone the say way.

Manufacturers have probably changed the contents. Read the label to see if it says anything anywhere such as "Now more spreadable" or 'New, improved recipe". Also, jams should be made from crushed fruit which is why they are difficult to spread. Some manufacturers reduce the crushed fruit content to reduce costs. You have to watch the jam is nor labeled a preserve or jelly as these are different.

Best bet is probably try a different brand - try going up market. Ot home made!

Define 'upmarket'? We buy our marmalade from Waitrose but even here in the last month or two, it has become very runny. Pu tit on the toast and it just runs off the edge, very disheartening when it drops in your lap.

I suspect they are all cutting back on the true ingredients to cut costs. As for making your own, we used to but as we do not have a garden anymore we would have to buy the fruit and I rgret life is getting too short for things like that, plus we are getting lazy in our dotage.

Read the labels, decent jam should contain about 50% fruit ie strawberries 10kg, sugar 10kg and nothing else. Really Fruity jam is often labled 'Extra Jam'

Maribel brand from Lidl is labled 63% fruit:-) as is Bon maman widely available elsewhere.

I would not be sacrilegious and mention that a certain supermarket, purveyors to the upwardly inclined, are capable of selling an inferior product, couldn't possibly otherwise how could they justify their mark-up :D

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2012-08-18 5:43 PM

Whats happened to Jam ? , nothing Paul Weller left and formed The Style Council

I get funny looks now in my Rover sterling when I play the Sex Pistol's at full blast ( not that I can do it now as I've blown the speakers) *-) .....................I think its the driving gloves :-S.........or maybe the flat cap :D

pelmetman - 2012-08-18 11:04 AM

Proper food is making your own :-D

SUE

Kathy and I will have some off you when you're next down this way Sue - Bring sample jars of all your main products! :-D

Easy on the sugar though, as I'm trying to abort this food-baby that I appear to have become about 6 months pregnant with..................

Guest pelmetman
JohnP - 2012-08-20 8:27 PM

A school teacher friend of mine had a job making wooden pips to go into raspberry jam during the war

8-) 8-).............I'm glad I never believed a word my teachers said :D

Guest pelmetman
JohnP - 2012-08-20 8:53 PM

He wasn't my teacher, he was a work colleague. He taught Maths

Still a teacher 8-)................did his sums add up? :D

We make our own using fruit mainly from our garden plus wild damsons and green gauges. Only problem is that our kids have now cottoned on to this and we have to make enough to keep 4 families going all year!

We used to make our own marmalade from scratch but we now use the pr-prepared tins of fruit from Lakeland. Makes very good marmalade even if you only follow the instructions on the tin. In our case we make lemon marmalade, add two grated up ginger roots, to give it a bit of a kick, and replace 20% of the sugar with runny honey. Makes it worth getting up in the morning for! If you want to be flash at Christmas time stir in a few flakes of edible gold leaf. It's not as expensive as it sounds.

We eat our main meal in the evening so at mid-day my wife makes some nice healthy sandwiches for us. When she's out I follow Paddington Bears lead and make two marmalade sarnies with home made whole meal bread that is made with five different types of seeds, chopped nuts and a little honey. Manor from heaven could hardly taste better.

Guest pelmetman
JohnP - 2012-08-21 8:40 AM

From one "yellow belly" to another, I gather that you were unhappy at school.

Not a yellow belly John ;-)...................unless there's such a thing as a Cockney yellow belly :D...........we semi retired here 8 years ago B-)...............all my work is down Souf, they wouldn't pay my prices up here 8-)

As for school................Couldn't leave quick enough, not that I was there much in my last years..........gotta grade "A" in truancy (lol) (lol).............

There are loads of brambles on the bushes opposite our place, I'd love to go and pick them but I'm too busy sorting our our MH ready for exchanging it next week.

Whilst on holiday we did sample some nice marmalades, jams, curds etc. The best by far was the raspberry curd (similar to lemon curd but made with raspberries!), it was made with butter and was absolutely gorgeous, no pips at all, just full of flavour. Also, there's a chap who occasionally visits us to buy odds and bods for his camper, he makes his own preserves which he sells at craft fairs etc - last time he was here he gave hubby a jar or orange curd ... wow - beautiful tasty and easily addictive!

• 6 years later...

Hi, guys! I just want to know, have you heard about cannabis butter/oil? Its a thing now. I read that Medical marijuana is a very old medicinal herb that has been used for thousands of years to treat a great variety of ailments. Cannabinoids, have been shown to have anti-bacterial, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and anxiety reducing properties that have helped a great deal in several illnesses. Like this article https://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/purple-urkle/. I created recipe of infused classic canna-jam. Cannabis is not bad as we thought. Just moderate use and it's good to our body.

Classic Canna-Jam

3 cups sugar

1/4 cup lemon juice

4 cups fresh fruit of your choice

1/4 cup canna-honey

Archived