Where did you all buy your M/H from

michele

Brownhills newark for me you can all see we live in Essex

just interested to see the milage people will travel ?.

It would help if people state where they live roughly .

was it worth it the travelling or hard ?... for us a big mistake to far to go to keep getting it repaired ..brownhills have in the past very kindly sent someone to get it and bring it back ...BUT so much is wrong I can't keep expecting them to do that for us .On the otherhand you don't expect as many things as we have wrong with a new vehicle do you...Or do you ?

Hi, We got ours from Geoff Cox in Derby , we are in Kettering, Northants, quite a drive but no problems yet, only a month old so don't hold your breath.

I don't mind going back there , lovely area to stay, and just down the road from Ikea and the Denby pottery factory shop. Think the services and Hab checks could cost a little more than they should though !!!!

Mandy

Hi Michele, we bought ours privately from a couple in Stonehenge (well a nearby village). As we live in Shropshire it was a fair trek. A local friend of mine has gone to Hearne bay (sp?) this week to collect his new motorhome (Auto Trail Grande Frontier).

D.

we bught our's from Geoff Cox in derby, had to wait a while for delivery mainly because i wanted a few upgrades but no problems they couldn't have been more helpful. they kept regular contact all the way through, even offered my deposit back when delay seemed too long. carn't speak for servicing as i have it done locally but so far (touch wood) nothing has gone wrong. called at premises a couple of times & they make you feel very welcome (lol) (lol)

First and second Auto Sleepers came from Cleveland Motorhomes who looked after us very well. We then ventured into Italian coachbuilts, couldn't afford A Ss so went to Don Amott for the first one and Pullingers for the second. Pullingers were very good. We then thought we could afford an A Class- a Frankia no less! So that was up to Spinney, another company who looked after us well. Our Rapido, we now wanted low level beds, the old legs couldn't manage the Frankia ladder to the top bunk, was bought privately. As you see we went the rounds!

Empress

In 1999 we'd been living here in Essex for nearly 2yrs. We'd had a few years absence from motorhoming, doing other kinds of hols with the kids. Then came the moment when they announced they'd be making their own hol plans. "Are you sure?" I said. "Is that your final answer?" So we bought a copy of MMM, and saw PULLINGERS OF HALSTEAD were advertising this 2-berth home-conv 1989 Transit with "bodywork req attn." They're only an hour away from us, so we went to look. Bodywork wasn't too serious, so we knocked them down to £3500 & never looked back.

Previously, when we lived up north, we usually found the van we needed locally. Furthest we ever went was from Millom to Manchester (anyone remember Jacks Bros?). Although we didn't actually go there from home: called on our way home from Spain in an ancient Glendale that was starting to fall apart - but that's another story.

We did once SELL a van to an American. He wanted to keep one "over in Europe" and had a friend send him the MMM classified pages - but again, that's another story.

Tony

Hi, bought our from Barrons in Wrexham, we live close to Chester so not to far from Wrexham, it was 5 years old with 19,000 miles on the clock, we have had excellent service of them, and there is a garage directly across the road from them with all the facilities for the M.O.T etc who also gives very good service, so all in all not a bad package. Carol.

Michele

I think the problem is more with your van than your dealer.  If you buy a van, and more or less nothing goes wrong with it, it doesn't really matter how far away the dealer is, because you never go back!

Having said that, quite a few do require some kind of annual inspection - for water ingress warrantys etc - so maybe once per year back to the dealer you bought from.

However, the key to (relative) happiness must be to choose the make very carefully, checking the maker's (and just as importantly dealer's) reputation, for quality in the areas that matter to you.  It doesn't guarantee total satisfaction, there is too much manual work in motorhomes for that, but it does lessen the chance of faults in the first instance, and increase the chance they'll be competently dealt with in the second! 

Somewhere in here is also the little matter of pre-delivery checks, and whether dealers do them properly.  However, I'd still far sooner have the van that leaves the factory pretty well A1, than the van the dealer has to spend hours toshing over!

The solution, as with so much concerning motorhomes, is research, and getting those choices right.  The problem, is that until you have one, and use it, you don't really know what you're trying to get right.  Sadly, I think by now you've just about managed to work that out! 

What's that thing about experience being the best school, but the one with the highest fees!  It's true, though, in't it?

We got our vans as follows:

Commer Autosleeper pop-top - country village about 40 mins drive away.

Transit ex-ambulance (to convert) - Bradford (I think!)

Elddis Autoquest 320 - Withernsea, about 40 mins away

Swift Suntor 590RS - Brownhills - about 90 mins away

Rapido 709F - Brownhills again

Rimor Sailer 645 - RDH at Sutton in Ashfield - about 90 mins away

From experience I wouldn't go too far as if warranty work needs to be done it would be a pain, it's bad enough with a 90 mins drive each way!

:-S

Guest JudgeMental

Sweden, and waiting to pick up new one from Belgium.

40mins from Ostend 90mins from Calais.

Hey judge and I thought I had far to go.? I think you beat us all.

And prey tell what will you do if and when anything is wrong with the unit .

you know the times when its wrong and people say go back to the dealership?. *-)

Also this is our third and this unit we have had before .

the list included

Rain getting in from on top of unit where sat nav was put in resulted in rain blowing the pace box.

Avic reversing camera pack up since asap in reverse only

No blind in bathroom all came away

No shower door its off the rail becaus eof wrong size screws used so you can't shut it... the list is endless ...But you just give up in the end back & forward ?... what will you do when it's the dealership things ..At the mo it's mildrew on the blinds another trip ...i say at the mo its blind but as yet most of abve hasn't been fixed

Hi Michele

first motorhome we bought in Uk (an Autosleeper) from West Country Motorhomes near Cheddar, mainly I guess as the deal was done at Shepton Mallet Show, and dealer good offer on old vehicle, and reasonably convenient location for us, about 150 miles away. When you live in Cornwall you have to travel for almost anything...! Found them good, and any problems also easy to srt out direct with A-S at the factory.

The present one from Rapido UK at Wokingham, as they were the 'best' dealer for these vehicles, and again, living in Cornwall, the journey to Wokingham is better than to the other dealer then at Newark! (not the only reaons!!) So to get to them is around 250 miles each way, but having said that, the service is excellent.

Now new vehicle on order is from Chelston, Somerset, and is 130 miles away. Whilst we had a better offer for trade-in from another dealer in Hull, the journey distance/ time was far too great, and I'm not sure the after- sales would be any better, so for us, the nearer the better.

Hum ? I am beginning to regret it myself after all the last time they collected it this should of all been done .

I /We have just not got the time argument or ENERGY to fight getting older. Just want an easy life no probs ...To much I suppose . Tum te tum

Guest starspirit
Over 35 years, Cornwall Motor Caravans (4), Plymouth Motor Caravans, Martins Exeter, West Country Motorhomes, Alan Kerr Paignton, Marquis Plymouth, Don Amott Derby, Barry Motor caravans, Bromley Motor Caravans and about 10 private purchases.

Randonneur - 2007-03-10 3:48 PM

Jack's Bros., wasn't that the one at Swinton. We lived close by on the same road at Kearsley near Bolton. They also used to rent motorhomes out but were very expensive as I remember.

That's the place Sylvia - on the A666 (make of that what you will!).

We came back from a France-Andorra-Spain-France-Belgium-Holland trip in 1991, in a 1977 Transit Glendale (which had only cost us £1600 a couple of years before). I'd done a few bodge-up repairs on the way (eg using the tray from the oven to put the vehicle battery on, as the battery tray had rusted away!), and all sorts of things were going wrong with it, so en route home to Cumbria we called in a few dealers, including Jacks. They had a much more recent Glendale, on a diesel Bedford, and we took out HP for it. On paper we got a £700 PX! - but I know that was really just a discount as the old wagon had no value to them.

Good people, pleasure doing business with them, but sadly closed down a few years later.

Excellent van (if not too lively - normal diesel!). That was the one we sold 4 years later to an American.

Tony

I don't know if you would remember, but when you came from Jack's back onto the motorway towards Bolton, on the righthand side there was a pub painted pink (the Moss Rose), we had that pub for 2 years from 1978 to 1980. The address was No.1. Manchester Road.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I travelled a long way. I'm not too interested in sawing the last ha'penny in half and am more concerned with having good and convenient service and warranties that can be honoured locally.

However.............  I was just about to order a new 'van from my localish dealer when I spotted a one-line advert for the same model, with the extras pack that I wanted, at a saving of £6000. I phoned the dealer who told me that he'd been offered an end-of-season, get-some-cashflow-deal as long as he didn't advertise it in a big way and upset the trade. He'd one left out of the four he bought so I put my name on it and the next morning drove down to the middle of the fens in Huntingdon and bought it!

I didn't feel too guilty about letting down the local dealer as I'd done all my research at the NEC and hadn't put him to any trouble apart from quoting a price.

I can't remember how far it was but it must have been nearly 200 miles each way.

As I said, I'm not bothered about paying a few quid extra if the service and location is right - but six grand is six grand!

Guest Frank Wilkinson
michele - 2007-03-10 9:55 PM Yes guy's but what do you think about the travelling when it all go's wrong . That's what I want to know do you mind ?the travel turn it into a day out ????

I think that I was reasonably clear on that. I wouldn't travel a long way to save three or four hundred quid as it's important to have servicing locally. But in my case it was £6000, so there is no contest.

It's even worth me not having my 'van serviced by a main dealer. I can get the vehicle serviced locally as it's a Renault Master and have the habitation done annually by a company that I know that  services 'vans at your home.

This may invalidate the habitation warranty but if I have to pay for minor repairs in the remaining two years of the guarantee I'll still be quids in.

I'm not saying that I'll do that. I may take it down to the Fenland dealer, stay overnight on his site and have it done properly but I'll worry about that in December when it's due!

Hi,

We purchased ours privately from a chap in Barnstable, Devon which is approximately 250 miles from where we live, We got what we felt was a good deal as it was only 7 months old with 7000 miles and we saved just over £15,500 on the delivery price so we felt the 500 mile round-trip was worth it

Brian

Hi Michele,

We have ordered ours from Lowdhams in Nottingham which is a 300 mile round trip. Still, they have an aire-type arrangement where customers can stay for free while servicing etc is done. They also have a policy of recommending that customers stay over on the night that they collect the van so any questions or issues can be handled before they leave. I was encouraged by that approach to customer service.

We had little choice originally, as the Southern Knuas dealer did not have a demonstrator at the time and did not expect one for 3 months. I met a Lowdhams rep, Diana, at the London show and she was very helpful. She ensured that the right demonstrator was available on the day we went. We were impressed with the size and variety of demonstrators they had from various manufacturers which gave us plenty of scope to do the final comparision with our chosen van. Diana could not have been more helpful or patient during our visit. We were there from 11.00 until 17.00 and we were left alone as much as we wanted, but there was always someone to answer questions when we wished and to keep us topped up with tea. The staff asked lots of questions of us as to how we intended to use the van and seemed genuinely to be trying to give good advice.

Negotiations were very cordial and we felt we had left with a good deal.

I had done several searches on the company on the net before we went to see them and there was little serious critiscism of Lowdhams on line and some praise, but that's all we could find. As we really wanted a Knaus, we just had to accept the travel involved

Bob

I bought mine locally. Went to Brownhills but did not like the stories I read and the attitude of the snotty little salesman I spoke to. Pioneer Caravans in Peterborough have looked after me since day 1 and carried out all the little niggles I have had with the new van.

Archived