White Kid, Brown Kid Channel 4 10pm tonight

Bulletguy

Looks a worthwhile watch on a challenging topic.

Documentary following two teenage girls from very different worlds as they try to become friends in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, which is one of Britain's most racially segregated places.

The film shows how 16-year-old Siobhan and 17-year-old Farhana cross this racial divide to step into each other's world for the very first time, revealing a story that highlights the complexities of integration. As they face up to their differences, they find themselves navigating both family and community concerns.

Tracker - 2017-09-04 8:46 PM

Not for me thank you.

Why do people feel the need to post on a thread to say they are not interested.

How long would forum threads be if everyone who wasn't interested in the subject posted to say so?

There's probably a movie showing at the cinema I'm not interested in.

Should I phone the cinema and tell the manager I won't be going because I'm not interested *-)

Conversely why should someone use the forum to promote what he believes to be worth watching, and therefore by association believes that I should watch too?

There are plenty of TV guides and an abnoxious amount of self advertising on TV but as I see it nobody has the right to promote on this forum who watches what?

But if they do have that right to post their opinion then others have the right not to agree with it?

We all watch TV for different reasons, some like the political bias and tendency for over sensationalism, some like to be educated - me - I just want to be entertained, thank you.

Tracker - 2017-09-05 10:14 AM

Conversely why should someone use the forum to promote what he believes to be worth watching, and therefore by association believes that I should watch too?

There are plenty of TV guides and an abnoxious amount of self advertising on TV but as I see it nobody has the right to promote on this forum who watches what?

But if they do have that right to post their opinion then others have the right not to agree with it?

We all watch TV for different reasons, some like the political bias, some like to be educated - me - I just want to be entertained, thank you.

So why even click on a thread titled 'White Kid, Brown Kid Channel 4 10pm tonight'

I'm not interested in football. If I see a thread with a title about football match on TV should I open the thread and post on it to say I'm not interested in this programme *-)

Or should I just leave it to disappear off the front page if no-one's interested B-)

Oh, I see now, silly me, I should never have allowed my curiosity to let me open a thread posted on the open forum.

I'm sorry, but from reading your postings, it seems that a selective some are allowed to post their opinions but nobody else is?

If my opinion does not concern you why spend so much time trying to convince me that I should not post it?

I too am no great lover of what the TV calls 'football', especially all the waffle and programme length padding from the 'experts', but that does not stop me having a quick look whenever the mood takes me!

Tracker - 2017-09-05 10:57 AM

I'm sorry, but from reading your postings, it seems that a selective some are allowed to post their opinions but nobody else is?

Wrong way round Richard - I'm not the one complaining at the OP for posting his opinion. :-D

Last I heard about football was someone saying it was 'inappropriate' for supposed sportsman Gary Lineker to be lining his pockets promoting junk food (Walker's Crisps) I had to disagree with them. Since so called 'football' these days is all about fleecing the punters to make money,

Gary Lineker selling overpriced junk food to kids represents so called 'football' perfectly :-D

John52 - 2017-09-05 11:59 AM

Wrong way round Richard - I'm not the one complaining at the OP for posting his opinion.

That's odd, neither did I.

I simply posted my own view, with you will note, no complaint, as a response to the OP and without your intervention the whole thing would have slipped peacefully beneath the waves, where it belongs!

Shall we let it slip into oblivion now?

Turned out to be very interesting. Racial divisions up there seem more down to parents than teen youth. That said, both girls (16 years old) came from very respectable families and despite "white girls" parents being divorced, she had regular contact with her father who played a key role in her life and he also appeared in the programme. Both "brown" and "white" girls fathers found they shared a common interest in boxing and the mothers, home cooking.

Both girls liked shopping and makeup (nothing new there then!), although "white girl" (imo) slapped on way too much eye makeup which she didn't really need but i suppose it's a confidence thing at the moment.

Though it got off to a difficult start with more nerves than anything, it ended with both girls saying they wanted to keep in contact and become friends, the mother asking the Asian mother to show her how to cook their foods, and the "white girls" Dad inviting "brown girls" Dad over to his house for a hot tub evening.

"White girls" mum made an interesting comment at the beginning where she said the problem is nobody tries to mix and said, "years ago it was just the same with Protestants and Catholics who wouldn't speak or associate with each other".

Very interesting is a subjective term and depends to a very large extent on whether the viewer is interested in the subject matter, or not.

I wonder how many people did not find it interesting enough to watch, and I wonder what the numbers of the population that had their TV on last night did or did not find it interesting enough to watch?

More statistics please!

Tracker - 2017-09-05 3:41 PM

Very interesting is a subjective term and depends to a very large extent on whether the viewer is interested in the subject matter, or not.

I wonder how many people did not find it interesting enough to watch, and I wonder what the numbers of the population that had their TV on last night did or did not find it interesting enough to watch?

More statistics please!

I'm sure Channel 4 or the company commissioned to make it would be able to tell you.....but you'd be annoyed if the figure was pretty good and claim bias.

http://www.windfallfilms.com/show/7017/white-kid-brown-kid.aspx

Alternatively of course you could always contact BARB, the body which collates viewing figures from all channels. I'm amazed you are so curious as to who may or may not have viewed, and who did or did not find a programme interesting which you'd openly declared as a topic "not for me thanks"!!! Quite funny really.

So....for the stat obsessed, here you go. Click on Contact Us;

http://www.barb.co.uk/about-us/how-we-do-what-we-do/

You choose to misunderstand again and attempt to put words in my mouth that I did not say, a practise beloved by those who would deposit their own views on others.

I really don't care how many people watched it and it would not annoy me if it was high, but then again given the type of crud that it had to compete with for viewing no claims however spurious would surprise me!

Please don't bother adding links to reinforce your ideas on my account as I have no intention of following them, I really don't care enough!

But it seems to have got you all wound up and that alone made me smile!

Tracker - 2017-09-05 7:12 PM

I really don't care how many people watched it and it would not annoy me if it was high, but then again given the type of crud that it had to compete with for viewing no claims however spurious would surprise me!

So why ask??? *-)

Tracker - 2017-09-05 3:41 PM

As for "the type of crud it had to compete with for viewing".....hmm.....let's have a look.

BBC1: News at Ten, BBC2: Newsnight, ITV: News at Ten, Channel 5: documentary about Tia Sharp murder, BBC4: history documentary about Spain and the Inquisition.

"Crud"? :-S

Oh and the links were not posted to "reinforce" anything. Simply showing how you could get the answer to your question.

Bulletguy - 2017-09-05 9:11 PM

So why ask??? *-)

As for "the type of crud it had to compete with for viewing".....hmm.....let's have a look.

BBC1: News at Ten, BBC2: Newsnight, ITV: News at Ten, Channel 5: documentary about Tia Sharp murder, BBC4: history documentary about Spain and the Inquisition.

I can't remember, but probably because someone provoked me to provoke them!!

I rest my case, crud incorporated strikes again with the news being a repeat of earlier so called selective news broadcasts and the rest of no great interest when all you want is entertainment and a relaxing laugh late at night prior to nighty nights time.

antony1969 - 2017-09-06 6:33 AM

Richard ... When you offer a very polite refusal to watch a suggested TV programme and it then results with this drab trash thread with one poster even boringly looking up lists as to what else was on TV then your hopes of a Chatterbox revival are Im afraid a long , long way off

Antony I don't know about that, but it made for a smile and a laugh at the antics of those who would impose their views on others.

I would have been perfectly happy to leave it at that but I am not going to be told what I might or might not watch by anyone - except the wife!!!!

Always look on the bright side of life!

And never be afraid to use the TV remote off button!

But I don't suppose this will be the end of it!

To watch or not to watch, that is the question?

Perhaps someone might start a new poll to see how many Forumites watched it?

Bulletguy - 2017-09-06 2:00 PM

"........a laugh at the antics of those who would impose their views on others."

An ironic though most fitting choice of words you quoted in response to that poster! (lol)(lol)

Thanks, yes I thought so too, but at least this time he and I seem to agree!!!

Seems an incredibly boring scenario to me....both girls from 'respectable'( a euphemism for middle class?) families is surely not representative of the majority of youngsters in this country likely to have 'racial' issues.  Also I don't see the parallels with Prodies and Catholics either.  That was a conflict of religious standing going back decades, even centuries whereas the Brown/White kid thing is primarily a conflict based on colour with cultural and religious and lack of integration issues forming part of the greater divide.

Possibly makes for a topic for debate but the programme sounds less interesting than watching paint dry.

RogerC - 2017-09-06 3:53 PMSeems an incredibly boring scenario to me....both girls from 'respectable'( a euphemism for middle class?) families is surely not representative of the majority of youngsters in this country likely to have 'racial' issues.  Also I don't see the parallels with Prodies and Catholics either.  That was a conflict of religious standing going back decades, even centuries whereas the Brown/White kid thing is primarily a conflict based on colour with cultural and religious and lack of integration issues forming part of the greater divide.

Possibly makes for a topic for debate but the programme sounds less interesting than watching paint dry.
Going on past experience of what the OP says he's watched on the box then I'd say paint drying sounds very , very appealing ... Dulux always dries faster than Crown

antony1969 - 2017-09-06 5:50 PM

Going on past experience of what the OP says he's watched on the box then I'd say paint drying sounds very very appealing ... Dulux always dries faster than Crown

I really recommend watching the grass grow as well worth doing as watching blackbirds pull on worms is so much more rewarding than watching flys land on wet paint!

Or you could try watching the carpet fade in bright sunlight, but that's no good if you live up Norf where it rains too much!

I've not tried it but would welcome anyone else's experiences of watching their toe nails grow?

Bulletguy - 2017-09-05 2:44 PM

Turned out to be very interesting. Racial divisions up there seem more down to parents than teen youth. That said, both girls (16 years old) came from very respectable families and despite "white girls" parents being divorced, she had regular contact with her father who played a key role in her life and he also appeared in the programme. Both "brown" and "white" girls fathers found they shared a common interest in boxing and the mothers, home cooking.

Both girls liked shopping and makeup (nothing new there then!), although "white girl" (imo) slapped on way too much eye makeup which she didn't really need but i suppose it's a confidence thing at the moment.

Though it got off to a difficult start with more nerves than anything, it ended with both girls saying they wanted to keep in contact and become friends, the mother asking the Asian mother to show her how to cook their foods, and the "white girls" Dad inviting "brown girls" Dad over to his house for a hot tub evening.

"White girls" mum made an interesting comment at the beginning where she said the problem is nobody tries to mix and said, "years ago it was just the same with Protestants and Catholics who wouldn't speak or associate with each other".

I watched it on catch up BG. Wasn’t too impressed TBH. A bit superficial and contrived in my view. The producers chose a white girl who was presented as if her whole life was about painting her face, watching TOWIE and going out partying with her mates and a Muslim girl who was under the very strict control of her parents and couldn’t think for herself. I felt sorry for both of them. The extremes in the manner in which they had been brought up seemed to have prepared each of them badly for life in very different but equally depressing ways.

Veronica

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2017-09-07 11:37 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-09-05 2:44 PM

I watched it on catch up BG. Wasn’t too impressed TBH. A bit superficial and contrived in my view. The producers chose a white girl who was presented as if her whole life was about painting her face, watching TOWIE and going out partying with her mates and a Muslim girl who was under the very strict control of her parents and couldn’t think for herself. I felt sorry for both of them. The extremes in the manner in which they had been brought up seemed to have prepared each of them badly for life in very different but equally depressing ways.

Veronica

Thank you Veronica for confirming what I thought it would be ;-) ......

Tokenism TV for the PC brigade *-) ........

No doubt that's why it appealed to our resident Muslim apologist :D .........

Archived