Who to blame

teflon2

The EJC has ruled that paying UK power stations to be on standby for electricity demands during the winter is illegal so if you have a power cut and you are cold and hungry you know who to blame. We can't even have backup power supplies now thanks to the EU. Who on earth wants to remain when a remote parliament can put the elderly and infirm at risk. " no emotions I don't think this is funny."

Is this false news?

If not no doubt the forum's resident crud trawler will come up with a cut and paste google entry - unless of course it is not bad enough news or is not the right sort of political news!

I'm OK thanks, I've got two gas heaters (self igniters - not mains), a camping gas two burner and grill stove, and plenty of battery and gas lights - oh yes - and a 12 v TV - and warm fleecy jimjams - and my love to keep me warm!

teflon2 - 2018-11-15 7:39 PM

The EJC has ruled that paying UK power stations to be on standby for electricity demands during the winter is illegal so if you have a power cut and you are cold and hungry you know who to blame. We can't even have backup power supplies now thanks to the EU. Who on earth wants to remain when a remote parliament can put the elderly and infirm at risk. " no emotions I don't think this is funny."

It was a legal action brought by Tempus Energy which argued the scheme gives an unfair advantage to fossil fuel power generation plants over demand side response (DSR) technologies that are “cheaper and more reliable”.

Under the Capacity Market scheme, generators are offered financial incentives for ensuring power plants are kept on standby and are ready to provide emergency back-up electricity when demand is at its peak.

Tempus Energy added these contracts could run for 15 years in comparison to one-year contracts offered to demand side response companies that are willing to curb their energy use.

It seems they have a point;

The UK Government wasted £180m on standby power stations after overblown warnings of blackouts, according to energy experts from The Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit (ECIU).

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2017/03/180m-wasted-on-standby-power-stations-after-serious-blackout-risk-overstated/

Tracker - 2018-11-15 8:10 PM

Is this false news?

If not no doubt the forum's resident crud trawler will come up with a cut and paste google entry - unless of course it is not bad enough news or is not the right sort of political news!

I'm OK thanks, I've got two gas heaters (self igniters - not mains), a camping gas two burner and grill stove, and plenty of battery and gas lights - oh yes - and a 12 v TV - and warm fleecy jimjams - and my love to keep me warm!

Fill yer boots. ;-)

Tempus Energy believes this ruling should “ultimately force the UK Government to design an energy system” that reduces bill by incentivising and empowering customers to use power cost-effectively while maximising the use of climate-friendly renewables.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2018/11/15/uk-must-halt-capacity-market-payments-after-eu-court-ruling/

https://www.tempusenergy.com/

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-15 8:24 PM

The Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit (ECIU).

A bunch of EU funded climate change warriors *-) .........

"Who We Are

The Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit is a non-profit organisation that supports informed debate on energy and climate change issues in the UK.

Climate change presents important challenges and opportunities to Britons in the decades ahead, while the choices we make on energy have implications for society, the economy and the climate system. We believe that debates on these issues should be underpinned by evidence, and involve the full range of stakeholders.

We support journalists, parliamentarians and other communicators with accurate and accessible briefings on key issues, and work with individuals and organisations that have interesting stories to tell, helping them connect to the national conversation."

"All of our funding comes from philanthropic foundations. We gratefully acknowledge support from the European Climate Foundation, the Grantham Foundation for the Protection of the Environment, the Oak Foundation, the Climate Change Collaboration and, previously, the Tellus Mater Foundation. During 2018, we received £132,000 from ECF, £88,000 from Grantham, £116,000 from Oak, and £10,000 from the Climate Change Collaboration."

pelmetman - 2018-11-16 8:06 AM

A bunch of EU funded climate change warriors *-) ......………………..

Strange this, as I couldn't find the EU (or the UK government) mentioned as a funder of the ACIU, or the ECF. Where did you find the EU funding, Dave? Bang, bang, ouch! Foot? :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-11-16 4:49 PM

Strange this, as I couldn't find the EU (or the UK government) mentioned as a funder of the ACIU, or the ECF. Where did you find the EU funding, Dave? Bang, bang, ouch! Foot? :-D

Well if you care to read my post above again Brian ;-) .........

"We gratefully acknowledge support from the European Climate Foundation"

You will see that bit I hope ........even with your EU myopia *-) .......

Strange this, as I couldn't find the EU (or the UK government) mentioned as a funder of the ACIU, or the ECF. Where did you find the EU funding, Dave?

He hasn't and he can't.....because it's not connected to the EU. Pelmet et al just have an oddball aversion to the letter 'E' they automatically assume every time they see anything with that letter then it must be an EU operation and when they can't find a connection, they'll claim it's covert. *-)

David Icke and Alex Jones are their revered luminaries! *-)

Bang, bang, ouch! Foot? :-D

Exactly.....though he does so many times his feet must be full of holes!

pelmetman - 2018-11-16 4:56 PM

Yes Dave, but if you look up the funders of the European Climate Foundation you will find that it is funded by a number of private organisations, not by the EU. Even with your Europhobic myopia, you have to accept that everything with European in its name, is not linked to the EU. :-D

It was a legal action brought by Tempus Energy which argued the scheme gives an unfair advantage to fossil fuel power generation plants over demand side response (DSR) technologies that are “cheaper and more reliable”.

Under the Capacity Market scheme, generators are offered financial incentives for ensuring power plants are kept on standby and are ready to provide emergency back-up electricity when demand is at its peak.

Tempus Energy added these contracts could run for 15 years in comparison to one-year contracts offered to demand side response companies that are willing to curb their energy use.

The UK Government wasted £180m on standby power stations after overblown warnings of blackouts, according to energy experts from The Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit (ECIU).

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2017/03/180m-wasted-on-standby-power-stations-after-serious-blackout-risk-overstated/

The government was responding to supposed professional advice if that advice had been correct and they had not put in precautions against power failure you would have been one of the first to aim blame. With you they are wrong whatever they do. If this year they are right and because of this ruling we are exposed to power failures and vulnerable people die because of it where will you aim your criticism.

Brian Kirby - 2018-11-16 6:32 PM

Yes Dave, but if you look up the funders of the European Climate Foundation you will find that it is funded by a number of private organisations, not by the EU. Even with your Europhobic myopia, you have to accept that everything with European in its name, is not linked to the EU. :-D

A Europhobe that spends 6 months of the year.............in Spain. *-)

teflon2 - 2018-11-16 6:37 PM

The government was responding to supposed professional advice if that advice had been correct and they had not put in precautions against power failure you would have been one of the first to aim blame. With you they are wrong whatever they do. If this year they are right and because of this ruling we are exposed to power failures and vulnerable people die because of it where will you aim your criticism.

Living out in the sticks i'm used to power blackouts, but i think it's always useful to get the 'bigger picture' and could understand their view after reading the article.

Guest pelmetman

Yeah Brian *-) .......

Like they don't have a slush fund to feed their acolytes? >:-) ............

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-16 6:45 PM

Point of order ;-) ......

It's usually 5 months, and I'm not in the EU .....Spit >:-( ........I'm in the Sovereign state of Spain B-) .......

pelmetman - 2018-11-16 8:20 PM

It's usually 5 months, and I'm not in the EU .....Spit >:-( ........I'm in the Sovereign state of Spain B-) .......

Spain has been an EU member country since 1 January 1986.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-16 9:12 PM

......and Spain became a Sovereign nation in the 16th century ;-) ........

So your point is what? *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-11-16 9:19 PM...………………........and Spain became a Sovereign nation in the 16th century ;-) ........

I suppose it might be that the UK is an equally sovereign nation, and is also a member of the EU. In our case though, you seem to think we should leave the EU because our sovereign status is in doubt. Sauce, goose, and gander? :-D

pelmetman - 2018-11-16 9:19 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-16 9:12 PM

......and Spain became a Sovereign nation in the 16th century ;-) ........

That it's been an EU country since 1986. *-)

Brian Kirby - 2018-11-17 7:18 PM

pelmetman - 2018-11-16 9:19 PM...………………........and Spain became a Sovereign nation in the 16th century ;-) ........

I suppose it might be that the UK is an equally sovereign nation, and is also a member of the EU. In our case though, you seem to think we should leave the EU because our sovereign status is in doubt. Sauce, goose, and gander? :-D

For some obscure reason he appears to believe because it's a sovereignty it cannot possibly be an EU member country! *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-17 10:16 PM

For some obscure reason he appears to believe because it's a sovereignty it cannot possibly be an EU member country! *-)

Its pretty obvious that the EU is trying to usurp Sovereignty of its members by making the nations laws secondary to the EU's *-) ...........

Switzerland is having a referendum over exactly that issue B-) .....

November referendums

The second proposal would explicitly give the Swiss Federal Constitution precedence over international law whenever the two contradict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_referendums,_2018

Yes I know Switzerland like Norway is not a EU member ;-) ........But they are obliged to follow EU rules :-| .........

Maybe that's something the UK should consider once we've left???? >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-11-18 8:32 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-17 10:16 PM

Its pretty obvious that the EU is trying to usurp Sovereignty of its members by making the nations laws secondary to the EU's *-) ...........

I find it somewhat hypocritical for you to bang on about sovereignty when not that long ago your lot branded Gina Miller as 'a traitor' and bombarded her with death and rape threats after she dared to go through our Supreme court to ensure parliamentary sovereignty was followed. Not to mention our own judges being branded "Enemies of the People".

Switzerland is having a referendum over exactly that issue B-) .....

Swiss have always had referendums over everything from banning washing hanging outside on Sundays to trying to get drivers to turn off their engines at traffic lights. All part of the Swiss mentality which many non-Swiss don't understand and even less know about.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-18 3:45 PM

I find it somewhat hypocritical for you to bang on about sovereignty when not that long ago your lot branded Gina Miller as 'a traitor' and bombarded her with death and rape threats after she dared to go through our Supreme court to ensure parliamentary sovereignty was followed. Not to mention our own judges being branded "Enemies of the People".

You do understand the word "Sovereignty" dont you Bullet? *-) ........

"national sovereignty"

synonyms: autonomy, independence, self-government, self-rule, home rule, self-legislation, self-determination,

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-18 3:45 PM

Swiss have always had referendums over everything from banning washing hanging outside on Sundays to trying to get drivers to turn off their engines at traffic lights. All part of the Swiss mentality which many non-Swiss don't understand and even less know about.

So does that make "Their" referendum any less legal than ours? ;-) .........

BTW ........What's your problem with the voter deciding the future of our country? :-| ............

Archived