Why

Guest TC01

I’m not picking out this forum in particular but I’ve noticed whilst trawling through forums that some people will reply to a question asked, with:- ‘’ Sorry I don’t know the answer to your question but I’m sure someone who knows the answer will be along shortly’’ Why? Smart arse replies: Sorry I don’t know the answer to your question but I’m sure someone who knows the answer will be along shortly’’

Quite right Twooks. Not much of a confidence builder when you post a message and no one bothers to answer. Even if you cannot help, then it does no harm to show some interest and simply by replying it means someone has the decency to acknowledge your posting. Don,t take Loftys reply to heart Tony. You know what these wind up merchants are like. Howard.

I totally agree Howard,my specialities are long distance walking ,camping ,backpacking etc.I try to help wherever I can.If I can't help I surf the net for websites until I find something that could be of help and then pass it on .But before I start searching I inform the relevent person that I am trying to help,I do this to stop them getting disgruntled with no replies.

This long distance walking sounds interesting Lofty. Not sure how far you mean, but I should imagine you really get to see interesting places and people in detail. When touring, even though we try to stop off and see as many locations and places of interest that we can, we often feel that we are missing so much simply by the amount of driving we do. This may be that we try to take in to many places with only limited time, and you then get the feeling that you are only scratching the surface on what becomes just another whistlestop tour. All I need is a new pair of kneecaps and I would be out there hitting the road as well. Howard.

Hi Ya Mel I Live on the Avenue's.My local pub is the Avenue. I don't have a van ,caravan or motothome. I have an ultralightweight 2 man tent which I use for lone long distance walks,a small 4 man tent for weekend camping and a huge 8 man tent for long holidays. I travelled the world for 14 years courtesy of the Royal Navy,I left the RN in 1990 and and in 1995 took up walking ,I have been walking all over the UK since ,I stll havn't done South Wales,Breckon Beacons etc but thats in the pipeline,and I havn't done south of the humber down to the Thames as it looks boring and flat and no one ever mentions it on walking website's.My favoutite haunt is the Lake district . :-D

Hi Howard ,the longest walk I have done is the Coast to Coast from St Bees in the Lake district to Robinhoods Bay approx 200 miles,the longest days walk was from 20 miles,from Shap to Kirkby Stephen.I don't know how bad your knees are but there are some beautiful easy walks,even in the lake district,Why go to the Lakes if you don't go up the fells. There is a path which comes out of Glenriddin and within 10 minutes(at my speed) there are panoramic views over Ulswater. You could even do the Coast 2 coast in your motorhome ,though I think you might do it quicker than I did it,heres the route. St Bees to Ennerdale Bridge (via St bees head ) 14.25 miles Ennerdale bridge to Rosthwaite.Have a meal in the Scafell Hotel Walkers bar. 14.5 miles Rosthwaite to Grasmere 9.25 miles Grasmere to Patterdale 8.25 miles Patterdale to Shap 16 miles Shap to Kirkby Stephen 20 miles Kirkby Stephen to Keld 12.75 miles Keld to Reeth 11.25 miles Reeth to Richmond 10.5 miles Richmond to Danby Wiske 14 miles Danby Wiske to Ingleby Cross 9 miles Ingleby Cross to Clay Bank Top 12.25 miles Clay Bank Cross to Glaisdale 18.75 ( Have dinner at the LIon Inn at Blakey ) Glaisedale to Little Beck 7.25 miles Little Beck to Robinhoods Bay 12.75 miles Meet lots of people in the evenings , every campsite across was brilliant.The prices in the pubs get cheaper the further East you get !! But the beauty of this is you could travel on roads that are normally only used by local traffic and farmers ! You will visit little places only walkers normally visit and drink some fine local ales ,yum yum I intend to do the walk again in 2008 with my sun who will be 9 then,I can't wait.

Hiya Mel. I,m a bit confused at the moment what with all these postings being moved around. I don,t mind Tonys comments as long as it does,nt get abusive or personal and everyones entitled to their opinion, and as long as he conforms to the high standards set by me and chopper, then he,s more than welcome. I,m not sure what a pongo is but it will take more than a pair of new kneecaps to get me on the road again, although I did do a lot of walking in my younger days which is why Loftys comments caught my eye. Back in 1961 I tramped all over the Atlas mountains with a 70lb pack on my back, and it was here that I had the most memorable experience of my life (second really). We were camped high up in the mountains and were caught in a real thunderstorm. This storm was not above us, but all around, and it was the most awesome thing i,ve ever seen. The noise was indescribable with lightning striking the ground no more than a 100ft away. It was both frightening and fascinating and though this is where my "windy" problem may have started I would not have missed it for the world. Sorry to bore you with these old memories, but I guess we have all got something special that sticks in our minds with re. to places we have been, and this is mine. Anyway, its a real pleasure to hear from you, especially after all the rotten stick we have given you in the past, and I was beginning to think the pair of us were off your Christmas card list. Take care. Howard.

Howard ,please tell us of your exploits. It may be worth putting them in the walking section of this forum. I 've had good and bad days walking.I have been fully trussed up and still got soaked,soggy boots the lot.And yes I have got the best gear that money can buy! I think the best gear to go walking in is NOTHING apart from good boots and good socks,but I think I may be arrested

Iv,e already mentioned some of my exploits on this forum Lofty, and it still amazes me that i,m allowed any postings. Then theres my memory where I have trouble remembering what I was doing yesterday let alone 40 odd years ago. Two places come to mind though, and both in North Wales. Climbing Snowden is one, where due to the weather we were treated to the most colourful scenery you could imagine. Early autumn with the sun,s rays breaking through the cloud over Cadwr Idris (I think) was truly breathtaking, although as anyone who has eaten at the cafe uptop will confirm, home to the lousiest food ever served up on the planet. The Great Orme is the other where we parked in town and walked all the way round and up to the top. Not every walkers choice, but it was just one of those perfect days you get now and then with clear views over the Irish sea and Snowdonia range from the top car park. As I mentioned earlier, most of this is passed by when touring by van, but then again we are talking of two entirely different pastimes. Howard.

I think work on the new Snowdon visitor centre starts sometime next year Lofty but this depends on how much money they raise. I read an article on this some time ago, and apart from a small goverment grant I believe the rest is to be from private donatations. Pity about this, as apart from the food i mentioned you will not find a better place to visit and well worthy of a lottery grant perhaps, although with their strict criteria, anything that may possibly bring pleasure to thousands of ordinary people is never going to see the light of day. The building on top of Snowdon had been there for too many years and was due for demoltion anyway, so its unfair to compare it with its equivalent at Ben Nevis which we visited two years ago. Everything there was geared up to ensure your stay was as pleasant as possible with food, information and other facilities all being top class. Hopefully, when the new visitor centre at Snowdon is finished it will on the same lines as Ben Nevis. Howard.

Hi Howard ,I've been to both visitor centres,its the cafe at the top of snowdon in the railway station thats closed.I climbed Snowdon and Ben Nevis acouple of years ago.When I did Snowdon the snow was up to the roof guttering of the railway station!! But it was a fantastic climb.I did ben Nevis in Mid summer and there was still snow on the top !!

Hi Ya Mel I used to live down Churchill avenue in Cottingham,just off St Margerates Avenue.My Aunty Lives in Cottingham in a massive 3 bedroom bungalow.The people who live accross the road from her have a massive Mercedis camper van which must have cost an arm and a leg.

Archived