Wobbly Fiat

howie

Hi. Not a vibration but a proper wobble coming through the steering at about 35-40mph especially going uphill. Its on a 2003 lwb van conversion (26k) and getting progressively worse.

Tracking and balancing ok and looking for advice on where to go from here. I,m sure there was a thread some time ago covering this subject but I can,t find it, so i,m not sure if the problem was resolved or not. Any ideas.?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a similar problem some years ago with a Talbot Express. Balancing,tracking etc failed to cure it. Eventually it needed new front discs,these were fitted,lo and behold problem solved.

What I do not know is whether the problem was caused by rust build up,warping or what ? An expensive solution and needs investigation before splashing out the cash

Guest peter
Have you checked the wheel nuts?. Next check track rod ends for play, if theres any play here it will make tracking a waste of time. Check lower wishbone bushes for play with a big bar pushed under it to spot movement, any is too much, bearing in mind they are made of rubber so will flex a bit but there should be no movement between the bush rubber and metal insert. The last one can be very dangerous and not easy to spot until it's quite bad. Check tyres for distortion or carbuncles and correct pressures. Check steering rack is not loose on it's mountings. Check play in wheel bearings. If it's not one or more of the above, then I don't have a clue.

Howie,

Had the same problem with my Hymer 2004 vintage below 35 mph smooth as a baby bum above 45mph as smooth as a she mouses belly but anything in between caused the false teeth to fall out and Muttley the dog would not retreive them.

The cause of the problem outer c.v. joint partially seized, this happened on a trip to Scotland and got it fixed when I got back home to sarf Essex. Get it looked at asap as my garage said I was lucky that I did not cause any damage to the transmission. All I need now is more obedient dog or some extra strong glue for my teef.

John D.

If fings don't change they will stay as they are!

Thanks guys and plenty of possible causes to go on. Wheel nuts ok, and front discs look good. I,ll arrange with my local garage to check on the cv joints, bushes and track rod ends, but first I want to make sure its not just the tyres. These were fitted less than 3000 miles ago and may be the problem. I,ll swop them with the rears tomorrow and see if there,s a difference. Hopefully its just a bulge or defect on the sidewalls and though not the most expensive, they were not that cheap either. Only 5 months old and I still have the reciept so some joy there perhaps. Looks like a process of elimination, and i,ll let you know how I get on.

Guest starspirit

We had a similar problem on a Talbot Express several years ago and although we never did find out what it was, two new tyres on the front cured it, at the suggestion of our friendly MOT tester at the time.

The CV joints were checked at MOT time and were declared OK as were all the steering and suspension joints and brakes etc.

The old tyres were not badly worn and were in balance and I don't understand why but it did work.

Then make yourself usefull for once and check how much adjustment there is on the drivers seat of that van of yours. We are looking at rear lounge models, and the problem is always getting enough leg room as the wardrobe or shower comes up tight against the seat.

Off to swap those wheels around now. :-S

Guest starspirit

There is plenty of room in the Starspirit as there is a gap of about 3" between the top back of the drivers seat and the Loo which is big enough to store the table, which was a pain in the bum in the wardrobe.

All sorts of other useful kit like wellies and waterproofs which are so essential for any UK holiday are stored at the bottom of this gap which is about 11".

I'm 5'11" and have plenty of fore and aft room.

The seat does not have a swivel so the driving position is better for me too.

If you want to discus the relative merits of the van perhaps we should start a new thread or someone might get funny about hijacking again!

Mel B - 2007-03-15 7:59 PM

howie - 2007-03-14 11:06 PM

Please stick with thread Mrs B. or one will pop round and stick one,s thumb right up your nose. 8-)

I didn't say ANYTHING for once!!!!! 8-)

Not you Melanie, the other Mrs B.

Gave it a run this morning after swopping front and rear wheels around, and though its a lot better I can still feel a slight vibration. I think the problem is with the rims/tyres but i,ve booked it in next week to have everything else checked out as well. Not one to worry to much over such things, but as this may involve safety issues (and the cost of cv joint failure) then best to get it sorted now. Thanks for your input, and i,ll let you know as soon as the problem is found.

Guest starspirit

Sometimes tyres are oval - either circumferentially (is that a word?) or cross sectionally (is that a word two?) - either through being made that way or deformed through standing.

This will only become apparent when spun up on a wheel balancer (might need the guard cover up to notice it?) and only then if the operator is bright enough to spot it, which many are not.

If so the wheel may balance up OK on the machine but will not be in balance on the vehicle.

Only cure - new tyre

Since you've only just become aware of this, has your van been standing for some time?  If so, and the problem is improving, it may be the tyres have just developed "flats" where they have stood.  If that is the case, they should work out as you drive along and warm the tyres through.

It is also possible, if the van has been standing, it is also a part siezed CV.  The grease dries and migrates away from parts of the joint.  If the boot has been damaged, some of the grease will have been lost.  Driving redistributes what is there, and it gradually gets worked back around the joint.  However, there is a lot of wear during those first few miles and the joint can end up damaged.  It'll seem to settle down after a while, but it may give trouble later, when you try a long trip.  It may be worth getting the boots inspected and slipped back to inspect what is going on within.  If the boot has been damaged it must be replaced and the joint may be suspect.  However, lets hope not.

Archived