bouncy pickup

mark lambert

hello

I know this is a motorhome forum but i was hoping someone on here may have an answer to my question. I have a double cab pickup as my work and family transport, unfortunately the ride is extremely bouncy and gives a very hard ride when there is no weight in the pickup bed. Is there a way of trying to calm the ride down a little/lot. Would air suspension do the trick or would that mainly keep the pickup level. I could change the pickup for a different vehicle but it is just too handy. Any ideas?

regards

mark

I doubt if anything is going to help with the "bouncy" ride Mark when not loaded, and they are still commercial vehicles, with the suspension to match regardless of how you use them. Short of keeping a few sandbags for ballast then i,m afraid you,ll just have to put up with it.

Fiat campervans are criticised for having a harsh ride, but you should try driving a basic van, which regarding your problem should carry a health warning.

howie - 2007-09-27 11:25 PM

I doubt if anything is going to help with the "bouncy" ride Mark when not loaded, and they are still commercial vehicles, with the suspension to match regardless of how you use them. Short of keeping a few sandbags for ballast then i,m afraid you,ll just have to put up with it.

Fiat campervans are criticised for having a harsh ride, but you should try driving a basic van, which regarding your problem should carry a health warning.

I totally agree with the health warning howie! wheres me back brace 8-)

The problem is most likely to be that the suspension fitted as standard is actually set up for the vehicle being loaded.

This results in the hard bouncy ride you describe.

One alternative that I know works is to fit softer springs (assuming the vehicle has coil springs this is an easy job) and then fit "helper" air bags inside the coil springs. These can be inflated manually via an air line or you can pay more and have a compressor fitted on the vehicle with switches in the cab.

When loaded you inflate the bags more to compensate for the load weight

When not loaded you deflate the bags to about 5lb/sq inch just to keep them "turgid" (what a great word!) and in the right place.

Have a look at Air Lift Helper Springs at

www.oecintonational.com

From my experience these things are worth it - the vehicle will be more capable when loaded and far nicer to drive both when loaded and not loaded.

Guest starspirit

I had a Hillman Imp many moons ago and that had a tendency to go straight on at sharp bends when driven enthusiastically - chronic understeer - except it would sometimes 'hop' as the front wheels lost grip.

Two paving slabs under the bonnet helped a lot - as did a more moderate driving style, so the ballast theory might well work.

I don't know about yours but my van rides better laden than empty.

Two thoughts on tyres (you've probably been there already, but......)

1. If you've got OEM tyres on it, the big, wide knobbly jobs, they'll accentuate the bounciness a LOT.

Talk to your local tyreshop about lower profile, narrower, roadgoing tyres - they'll not look as butch, but they'll cost you a lot less, and the ride they deliver wil be more car-like.

Friend of mine in the UK had a big Ford pickup and complained of the same problems as you - changing his tyres for smaller smooth-treaded roadgoing ones made (apparently) a huge difference.....to both the ride and his wallet when he changed them thereafter.

2. Check the air pressures in your existing tyres, and ensure that you aren't running them at a pressure suitable for vehicle fully loaded. Maybe try taking 5 or 10 psi out of them just to see what effect that has on the handling.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Thank you all for your replies. The suspension is ok, not worn out , just very hard due to it being a commercial vehicle. I have altered the tyre pressures to 26 psi, but again, commercial springs. I think the only option is to have the softer springs fitted and some airride suspension, so thanks again for all the suggestions.

regards

choppa

Archived