brexit again

Barcobird

aandy - 2019-08-13 9:39 PM

Barcobird - 2019-08-13 9:06 PM

I've not really been following the 3 month issue as it does not affect me, but is it the case that nobody will be able to stay longer under any circumstances, or just that those wishing to do so will need a visa?

Don't think they will be issuing visas (lol)

In my opinion this is a very sorry state of affairs, it is going to cost the UK billions of wasted money, Mr Grayling!!! for one example, It will create more and more problems as we proceed and this is all down to Cameron and Johnson who should have been straight from the start and all the facts should have been presented BEFORE the referendum !!! :-(

I wasn't looking for opinions on the merits or otherwise of leaving the EU, just an answer to a simple question.

Due to my incompetentes and irritation of another member I have now moved this to chatterbox *-)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barryd999 - 2019-08-14 11:39 AM

Whats amazing is that even after over three years some motorhomers still do not realise that out of the EU the maximum stay you will be allowed in Europe is 90 days in any 180. No Visas, ifs or buts, thats it.

Exactly !!! and although apparently the 90 day rule has always been law it has never been enforced, exit Brexit and see things change :-(

Are you sure? Spain has already said it will still wecome UK citizens whatever happens. I cannot see them enforcing the 90 day rule (or Portugal for that matter.

Of course the French will be their usual bolshy, anti-British selves (I mean the Government, not the people). I can see them being jobsworths. 8-)

747 - 2019-08-14 2:03 PM

Are you sure? Spain has already said it will still wecome UK citizens whatever happens. I cannot see them enforcing the 90 day rule (or Portugal for that matter.

It's a UK rule, not EU which is what many aren't quite getting (though some are aware but disingenuous). I spent years battling it out with my GP and MP.

The Spanish proposal is for expats and based on there being recipicracy for Spanish folks residing here, so on the basis of this announcement it doesn't bode well.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/get-ready-to-charge-eu-citizens-under-no-deal-brexit-nhs-bosses-told-xgb9dsf5g#

Guest pelmetman
Barcobird - 2019-08-14 11:44 AM

Whats amazing is that even after over three years some motorhomers still do not realise that out of the EU the maximum stay you will be allowed in Europe is 90 days in any 180. No Visas, ifs or buts, thats it.

Exactly !!! and although apparently the 90 day rule has always been law it has never been enforced, exit Brexit and see things change :-(

Why should they change? :-S ...........

Do they enforce the rules on the Russians, South Americans, Moroccans etc who as far as I'm aware are not even part of the Schengen zone or the EU :-| .........

Cant say I'm overly fussed if they don't want me to spend thousands there over the winter, I'll start going to the Caribbean for the winter instead B-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-08-14 4:08 PM

Exactly !!! and although apparently the 90 day rule has always been law it has never been enforced, exit Brexit and see things change :-([/quote

Cant say I'm overly fussed if they don't want me to spend thousands there over the winter, I'll start going to the Caribbean for the winter instead B-) ........

You going in the motor home ?

(lol)

Guest pelmetman
Barcobird - 2019-08-14 4:18 PM

Exactly !!! and although apparently the 90 day rule has always been law it has never been enforced, exit Brexit and see things change :-([/quote

You going in the motor home ?

(lol)

Nah :D ...........I've seen the way they drive 8-) .........

Because you voted to end your own freedom of movement. Remember, you told everyone you knew what you were voting for.

Do they enforce the rules on the Russians, South Americans, Moroccans etc who as far as I'm aware are not even part of the Schengen zone or the EU :-| .........

Russia, SA and Morocco etc will have their own rules on how long their citizens are allowed to remain out of their country.

(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol) *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-08-14 4:53 PM

Because you voted to end your own freedom of movement. Remember, you told everyone you knew what you were voting for.

Nope.......I voted to leave the EU and become a Sovereign Nation like Russia, Morocco and those in South America ;-) ........

So why do you think Spain should treat us differently to those countries? :-| ..........

Please try and muster a sensible answer for once :D .........

Guest pelmetman

]Cant say I'm overly fussed if they don't want me to spend thousands there over the winter, I'll start going to the Caribbean for the winter instead B-) ........

(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol) *-)

You should try it ;-) .........

I reckon Cuba would be right up your Communist street >:-) .........

Of course the French will be their usual bolshy, anti-British selves (I mean the Government, not the people). I can see them being jobsworths. 8-)

Oh yes I am sure. Trust me as a long term traveller I looked into this in some detail well before the referendum and after. There are loads of travel forums where overstaying in Schengen has been discussed at length and there is no way to do it and people are fined, deported and can be refused entry in the future if they breach the rules. Im not making this up, these are first hand accounts I have come across. Some countries are more lenient than others in how they will treat you if caught ranging from a fine of a few hundred Euros to over a thousand and in some cases being slung in jail and then fined and deported but there is no getting away from it, 90 days is your limit. What would happen to your motorhome if caught is also another question if your deported.

pelmetman - 2019-08-14 9:43 PM

Nope.......I voted to leave the EU and become a Sovereign Nation like Russia, Morocco and those in South America ;-) ........

Read this; https://www.chathamhouse.org/publication/britain-eu-and-sovereignty-myth

and all of this; https://bruegel.org/2017/02/questionable-immigration-claims-in-the-brexit-white-paper/

So why do you think Spain should treat us differently to those countries? :-| ..........

Please try and muster a sensible answer for once :D .........

I've given you sensible very clear answers to this question many times before but you just cannot grasp it can you? Either out of being blatantly stubborn or disingenuous i don't know though i suspect both. Forget Russia, Morocco or wherever else as none of those countries either concern or apply to you. They have their own laws/rules which are of no concern to you at all unless you decide to go and live there.

You are a British citizen. UK has a 90 day rule regarding exit and re-entry. It matters not a jot if Spain or wherever says, "oh feel free to hang around here as long as you like....we aren't interested", because you are not a resident. Your resident country is UK and you know full well, though continually being disingenuous, about the 90 day rule. That 'clock' starts ticking the minute you exit UK until the time you re-enter through UK immigration....and that's the point at which it's applied. Not somewhere in the middle of the Spanish outback....in Britain at UK immigration control.

It's not me making the rule up or even my choice. It's in black and white and i spent over two years battling between GP and MP over it.

If you want to continue doing what you do, but legitimately rather than attempting to circumvent rules you now find don't suit you, my suggestion would be to relocate to Spain with full habitual residency and cut ties properly with UK but you may well find you've left that too late.

Barryd999 - 2019-08-14 10:56 PM

Oh yes I am sure.

I'm not wishing to sound pedantic but ... you do realise that Flamborough Head is not across the English Channel? :$

Oh yes I am sure. Trust me as a long term traveller I looked into this in some detail well before the referendum and after. There are loads of travel forums where overstaying in Schengen has been discussed at length and there is no way to do it and people are fined, deported and can be refused entry in the future if they breach the rules. Im not making this up, these are first hand accounts I have come across. Some countries are more lenient than others in how they will treat you if caught ranging from a fine of a few hundred Euros to over a thousand and in some cases being slung in jail and then fined and deported but there is no getting away from it, 90 days is your limit. What would happen to your motorhome if caught is also another question if your deported.

I know loads of lads that go to Thailand for extended periods ... Two of them go for 6 months each year ... You know what they do when the 90 day visa is nearly up they simply pop across the border and bingo ... It really is that simple and they dont have motorhomes to do it in either to make it more convenient ... More Remoaner whinging for me , though it does give their new found concern for Ireland a break and chlorinated chicken of course ... Yawn

jumpstart - 2019-08-15 8:47 AM

So what is the overstay penalty then?

As bulletguy states I don't necessarily think there will be a problem milling around Europe (not so much anyway) but the problems couod start when you get back to The British port where they could implement the 90 day law.

I remember touring Europe in a car as a teenager, ( there was border control in those days), we had no problems anywhere (except Gibraltar a British colony but that's another story !) until we got back to Dover. It was the the third degree and they took half the car apart.

So in my opinion don't expect a soft Brexit from the British authorities.

Guest pelmetman
Barcobird - 2019-08-14 11:09 PM

After seeing the news tonight it now seems doubtful there will be a Brexit. You can't just walk away from a contract, if you do it will end up in court. What a bloody mess this government is in !

I remember seeing on the news numerous times that No Deal is dead :D ..........

BTW its Mrs May government that created the mess ;-) ...........

Fortunately we now we have a proper Brexiteer in charge B-) .........

Barcobird - 2019-08-15 9:14 AM

As bulletguy states I don't necessarily think there will be a problem milling around Europe (not so much anyway) but the problems couod start when you get back to The British port where they could implement the 90 day law.

I remember touring Europe in a car as a teenager, ( there was border control in those days), we had no problems anywhere (except Gibraltar a British colony but that's another story !) until we got back to Dover. It was the the third degree and they took half the car apart.

So in my opinion don't expect a soft Brexit from the British authorities.

As said I read up on this considerably as I think did Brian Kirby. It was going to be something that effects me a fair bit as most of our trips over the water are 4-6 months in duration. I joined various travel forums from outside of Europe and there were many confirmed first hand cases of people being caught while in country and fined for overstaying and in one case (Holland I think) someone was locked up in jail until they decided what to do with them. You are generally immediately deported and in some cases can be banned from returning. I would suspect you could wing it but as said you may come a cropper at the border when you leave. Then there is stuff like insurance etc to consider. You cant just leave for one day and come back either like Mr Birdbrain is suggesting. You have to wait another 90 days outside of Europe.

Trust me there is no "legal" way around it.

Guest pelmetman

A sound thrashing with wet lettuce leaves :D ..........

747 - 2019-08-14 11:45 PM

Oh yes I am sure.

I'm not wishing to sound pedantic but ... you do realise that Flamborough Head is not across the English Channel? :$

Yeah but if you manage to stay more than 90 days here they give you a medal. 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-08-15 9:31 AM

Trust me there is no "legal" way around it.

Really? *-) ..........

"After arriving in Spain

Within 30 days of arriving in Spain, all non-EU/EEA and Swiss citizens who want to stay for longer than three months must apply for a residence card/permit (Tarjeta de Residencia or TIE). You have to apply at the Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or police station in the province where you’re living.

You’ll need a valid passport/travel ID, colour passport photos and a completed application form, plus proof of your address, bank statements, medical insurance, and other documentation relating to your own situation, such as an employment contract, proof of university enrolment or academic qualifications.

This temporary residence permit allows you to stay in Spain for between 90 days and five years, and can be renewed."

https://www.expatica.com/es/moving/visas/visas-and-immigration-102354/

P1010899.JPG.21e424b51acab53edca9e4be0bd07678.JPG

pelmetman - 2019-08-15 9:31 AM

Barcobird - 2019-08-14 11:09 PM

After seeing the news tonight it now seems doubtful there will be a Brexit. You can't just walk away from a contract, if you do it will end up in court. What a bloody mess this government is in !

I remember seeing on the news numerous times that No Deal is dead :D ..........

BTW its Mrs May government that created the mess ;-) ...........

Fortunately we now we have a proper Brexiteer in charge B-) .........

Which way did you vote then ? (lol) (lol) (lol)

Archived