ferrys

Brian Peters

hi, im new here.

Just wanted some info on the best way to book a ferry when going to europe for a few months touring.

Is it best to book your return ferry in advance or can you just turn up at the docks and wait for a place? I own a Burstner t-star 710(sprinter based) and towing a Smart car on a trailer. any help would be appriciated. :-)

Welcome Brian ,

if you use your search bar you will see lot's of tip's . I ,m not sure so dont take my advice others will know better because we use the shuttle.

I think it best and cheaper ? to do the both bookings at once .

If you hang around long enough you will get better replies from people who know more than I good luck.

I ndont think it's a good idea to just turn up and especially if it's high season when are you thinking of going and where do you live what is your closets port?.

Hi Brian

much cheaper if you book in advance or if you are a member of any of the major clubs they can get you good deals.

Personally I save Tesco coupons and exchange them for Tesco vouchres which give you 4 times the value against participating ferry companies.

Firstly, welcome to the madhouse. Hope you enjoy the company here.

We usually use SeaFrance, and get good prices by booking return crossing at one go, as far in advance as possible.

But we only do 2-3 weeks at a time, so it may work out differently with your longer trips. Even so, I doubt you'd get good prices by just turning up - they've got you as a "captive customer" that way, and what companies call "fluid pricing" usually means "we'll charge whatever we can get away with." That's why they don't publish fares if they can help it.

All I'd say is shop around the Internet, and with each company try a few different times on the dates you want (or even a few different days if you've got that flexibility).

But whoever you sail with, have a great time! We ALWAYS do.

Tony

If you're a member of either the Caravan Club or Camping & Caravanning Club make sure you ask them for a quote as well as MCIA as these are the cheapest ways to get tickets usually.

The earlier you book the cheaper it will be, I booked a couple of trips for May and July back in the Autumn - November I think - and they cost me £60 and £61 return for a motorhome on it's own via the Caravan Club (darn it, I knew there was a reason to stay a member!!!). To do that now would cost at least 3 times that!

Hi,

We turned up at St Malo a day late (we always come home on a Tuesday, and somehow they had booked us for Monday). No problem, just go to the desk and pay a £5 fee. As it was the start of the school holidays, all the traffic was the other way.

If we had turned up at Portsmouth wanting to go to France it would have been a different matter.

During the stormy weather last year, we drove past miles and miles of parked up lorries.....because we had booked in advance. Then caught the ferry 8 hours earlier than we had booked, at no extra charge. Good old Norfolkline.

As I never know when I am going to turn up in Dover or when I will be returning, I just go into Eurochange office in Dover ( near ferry terminal next to Hotel on left where you can park). I have had very good prices and has been better than any pre booking deal I could get.

However admit I once got caught when Tunnel was closed and Ferries were busy and had to pay £85 one way instead of usual £40 to £50.

I could have waited until late evening and got a cheaper fare but on that occassion I did need to get back quickly. (incidently I mainly go out July and back mid August and on days when fares are higher booking ahead)

Eurochange also offer very good exchange rates compared to the banks.

http://www.dovereurochange.com/tickets.html

Hi there my partner and i booked the plymouth santander ferry with three small dogs large motorhome trailer plus smart car outside 2 berth cabin was five hundred pounds but with cost of fuel from france to south of spain we think its ok and you are there within 24 hours we will phone and book from france when we want to come back miht get some offers its cheaper in the week (lol)

Archived