flat screen TV

ticker

Can anyone recommend a 12 volt flat sceen Tv. There are a wide range of offers but the cheapest is not always the best option. we are also thinking ahead to digital and are contemplating putting an Ariel on our Hymer B Classic. We do have a satellite dish, but it takes a c---s age to set up sometimes. Again any recommendation would be apprieciated. ;-) *-) *-) *-)

PC World have a great little gizmo on offer for £49.99. It fits in a USB port of a Lap Top and in that goes your arial cable. Then via a neat little remote you have about 30 FreeView channels on the Lap Top. Bought one last Saturday - it is called a Pinnacle TV reciever and so far - using it at home it has been great! Took about 20 min to load all the software but it was very easy and simple. Apparently I will be able to load films etc onto my hard drive and simply play them back if I want - as well as being able to use my LapTop as a TV with all the FreeView channels when in the caravan. With LapTops becoming ever cheaper it seems to me that this is a far better option than spending almost as much on just a TV.

Plenty of good tv,s around Ticker and it depends on how much you want to pay and how you plan to use it. We have had a Avtec for four years without any problems but the one thing it lacks is teletext. This can be a bit of a pain when out touring and no tv guide to be found. I,ve seen a few of these products for sale Darcy and agree they look ideal for what we want. The only doubt is that looking direct at our pc screen is o.k. but even at a slight angle the picture is difficult to make out. Wether this applies just to our own laptop or there is a completely different setup between computor and tv screens I don,t know, but given the seating arangements in our van this could be a problem. Howard.

I use an Avermedia Hybrid digital/analogue/FM radio receiver card with my laptop. It plugs into the cardbus slot and with a decent aerial can receive digital freeview channels. If the signal is too weak for digital I can select analogue, tune it in and we can usually get a good enough picture to watch a programme. We place the laptop on a small folding table between the cab seats and make the offside dinette into a settee, then we settle down with a glass of something pleasant, sprawled out on our matching settees, to watch our programme. We also use the laptop for DVD viewing as well as all the other uses. One useful feature of the TV card is that it turns the laptop into a personal video recorder and, as long as there is ood signal, the recorded quality is indistinguishable from the original. I'm just installing a small pair of additional speakers and a stereo amplifier into the 'van as the laptop's speakers are too small and the sound is too quiet. D.

I can see how the screen positioning could be a problem with a Laptop. It is interesting to see how I position my screen for normal use - like now. I do not look at it straight on but have the screen leaning back a bit. We have had no trouble watching it so far and myself and my wife have been sitting a fair distance apart (not a problem!!! - just our "normal" seating arrangements!!!) all we had to do was angle the screen so it was not vertical to our line of sight but just a tad leaning back away from us. Looking forward to trying it in the caravan.

Archived