iNSURANCE QUOTES

michele

Hi all ,

having a problem getting a little Kango 1500 diesel insured for my daughter whom you all know is an apprentice Farrier.

Have tried Direct line no good

Have tried NFU no good not 25

Have tried Tesco's no good not 21

Have tried Zurich no good not 25 it go's on like this. Whilst I understand that some silly people spoil it for the rest its a shame because she get's up at 5 and leaves, Home at 8.30 9ish every night 5 days a week .

She only ever goes to work in it (Car) has not the energy to go galevanting at weekends and at the worst takes the dogs to epping Forest ?. why oh why do they penalise all the youngsters I thought slow chugger put her tools in the back the dogs and her car is falling apart slowly so would like to get rid now in order to keep her apprentership .

really worried that it will pack up as she is doing 100 miles every day round trip ...Can anyone help with an Insurance company that would help young sensible drivers who are not going to pack the 6 mates in the back and go joy riding . God wish they would give some young people some credit ... help please guys I,m willing to phone anyone for help.

You could try 'e' Van insurance on the web at www.evaninsurance.co.uk . I've just insured my Kangoo 865D for £200 TPFT. I am 37 though with full NCD, but they were the cheapest i found and the online quote was very easy to use. Good luck

P.s I have comercial van insurance as i'm an electrician, that may work well for your daughter too. (^)

CIS ("the Co-op") covered my son when he first passed his test - driving instructor suggested them as a lot of his pupils were accepted by them when turned down by others. Includes UK & Euro breakdown cover too. Few years ago though, so don't know what they're like now.

Tony

Insure her car yourselves, and add her to your insurance as a named driver? 

Someone has been advertising recently that you can add a second driver to an existing policy, and they begin to earn their own no claims discounts.  Norwich Union?  Anyone remember?  I wasn't paying full attention - again!

Brian ,

firstly this is a very grey area and we will not break the law your onner :D

I have the car its insured by Direct line with her as a named driver but at the risk of purcuner ? advantage . It is now time for her to have her own insurance quite rightly because she is using mine all the time and that is not what the insurance is set up for (ie she should not be the main drive which she is little cheat .So have tried very hard to get a van but having no luck ..have tried as suggested above by sorry forgot the name .Anyway evan insurance got right to the end of the quote and hey zilch tried to phone them but no luck... I think i,m going to give up .

What a shame trying to keep her safe & legal these boy & girl racers have a lot to answer for . Because I want her to only have 2 seats a the dogs she is penalised because idiots have loaded theyre mates in the back and wrapped it round a tree ...Umh .But I can let her have a 5 seater car and show off to her mates giving them all a lift(not that she does but if inclined to be that way whats to stop her killing the lot....million's of pounds and heart ache later .....The worlds gone mad or the country has gone to the dogs...which I,m not sure :-(

Michele

Best bet to save you a lot of hassle and ringing around is to contact a broker, they deal with loads of insurance companies and if they can't find someone to insure her then I don't think anyone can ... it's in there own interest to get her insurance otherwise they don't get paid!

Mic from Hell, why don't you just Google motor insurance on your putor. There are several sites which will give you 30 quotes in 30 secs once you've completed a questionaire. You can then pick the one which suits best. I did it for my daughters when they just passed their tests and sorted it out in an evening. I think it was Compare .co.uk or something like that.

Hi Michelle

I agree - best not to insure your daughters van unless the ownership is registered in your name and she is a named user.

Insurance companies are wise to parents insuring the car but not owning it. Result? - a disputed claim.

Mel is on the right track re a broker and I suggest you try Adrian Flux. BUT - do not go for their monthly payment plan as it is a loan at about 29% APR and even if you cancel the policy - you still have to pay the loan!

Cheaper to us certain credit cards or set up a short term overdraft! But Adrian Flux as a broker is hard to beat in my opinion (personal and professional)

Co-op is OK - but when my son had an accident which was the other persons fault (drove into the back of my sons car whilst he was stationary at traffic lights!) - they could not be bothered to fight his claim and put a lot of pressure on my son (an apprentice Thatcher whose mate is an apprentice Farrier!) to accept 50/50 - i.e. for my son to accept half the blame!!!!!

It took me being very stroppy with them and threatening to take it to the ABI for them to back down and go for 100% third party fault.

The consequences of 50/50 is a nice cosy cartel of shared costs for the insurers and little or no paperwork for either side.

The consequences for admitting a 50/50 when it is NOT your fault is sky high premiums next year and loss of any NCB.

Hope this helps!

Hi Michelle,

Our 34 yr old son was in the same boat, had either had Company cars or drove on his partner's insurance. He recently aquired his own car and contacted a company called Academy, they are somewhere in your neck of the woods, and the quote from them was astonishing. They are on the Internet, it would be worthwhile giving them a ring. He got fully comp on a Peugeot 106 with both of us able to drive it as well for £240 (I think).

We enquired last year for insurance for him and it was nearly £1000 and he has not got any endorsements or accidents.

michele - 2007-05-10 5:58 PM Brian , firstly this is a very grey area and we will not break the law your onner :D I have the car its insured by Direct line with her as a named driver but at the risk of purcuner ? advantage . It is now time for her to have her own insurance quite rightly because she is using mine all the time and that is not what the insurance is set up for (ie she should not be the main drive which she is little cheat .So have tried very hard to get a van but having no luck ..have tried as suggested above by sorry forgot the name .Anyway evan insurance got right to the end of the quote and hey zilch tried to phone them but no luck... I think i,m going to give up . What a shame trying to keep her safe & legal these boy & girl racers have a lot to answer for . Because I want her to only have 2 seats a the dogs she is penalised because idiots have loaded theyre mates in the back and wrapped it round a tree ...Umh .But I can let her have a 5 seater car and show off to her mates giving them all a lift(not that she does but if inclined to be that way whats to stop her killing the lot....million's of pounds and heart ache later .....The worlds gone mad or the country has gone to the dogs...which I,m not sure :-(

Sorry Michele, I was assuming "her" car, was merely the one she uses, not one that is actually registered in her name.  I wasn't intending to imply you could insure a car not technically belonging to you.  Sorry I didn't make that clear!

To add her to your insurance you'd have to be the legal owner, and insurer, of the car.

I think where lots of people become confused is ............................

They insure a car in the adults name

The kids end up driving it constantly

that is fraudulently bending the rules ? I dont want to do this .

I would like her to have her own insurance her own NCB and be safe & legal.

Oh god trust me I,m not making sense am I.

If I buy a van .

I insure her as a named driver

I insure it .

Then I give to her constantly that is wrong if you see what I mean

I think you are dead right Michele.  However, I believe it is possible to insure a number of vehicles on one policy, any of them being drivable by any of the named drivers.  I have no experience of this, and I am not refering to company insurances, but families with several cars do not always have each car insured in the name of their respective owner.  In most cases the disadvantage is that the cars earn the NCD individually, but only the policy holder benefits from the discount.  Thus, for example, you daughter wouldn't earn a NCD in her own right, although she would be legally entitled to drive any of the vehicles.

However, I'm sure I've seen an ad somewhere that says one insurer will, in effect, assess each driver's risk individually so that named drivers build up their own NCD over time.  I assume the insurances are "grouped" under one insurer, and subject to one premium, and so earn some kind of block discount, but are treated as though they were individual insurances for the purpose of calculating each driver's risk and the overall premium.

I think the best advice above was to talk to an independent insurance broker, and get him to root out what is available.

Archived