mmm show exhibitors

njw

dose any of you think there is a decline of exhibitors at the warners shows lately the last few shows we have been to big names like east coast leisure and o,leary motorhome accessories were not there so i emailed them to ask amd east coast are not doing anymore shows due to cost increase and also o.leary are the same except only doing the york show .as it is said to be the biggest show .most people i have talked to have also commented on them not being there. as we all mostly like to look around there stalls .you can of coarse bye from them online but is not the same as seeing first hand.

I think the main problem is there are just too many shows on the go.

When they first started about 20 years ago there were bargains galore, but those days are long gone.

I spoke with a battery dealer and he stated he had stopped coming to the shows as he could not transport enough batteries to make a profit.

Silver screens no longer attend and I don't remember seeing Taylor made at Newbury.

Don

I also agree.

Having been to the recent show at Peterborough (after 3yr absence), I was amazed to see so many stands selling things that have nothing to do with M/Homes.

I know certain companies that will only go to their more local bigger shows, such as NEC & the York show

Almost got run down by some " ski trike" thingies at Peterborough, what have they got to do with m/homes!!

Thai

I agree with you about the stalls that dont seem to have anything to do with motorhoming, why do they come, equally so much of the stuff that is sold in these so called accessory stalls, you would have to be mad to buy. If you need something like a washing up brush are you really going to buy one at the show for at least 4 times the price you would pay in your local cheapie shop. Its a shame that we never see Olearys now. The other thing that me and the wife were discussing the other day after Newbury was that you used to see things like doors(I was thinking that our door would be better if it had a window in it) , table tops, windows I didnt see any of those things at either Peterboro or Newbury. We never stay at Peterboro anymore as they charge to much for overnight, and we shall not be staying at Newbury again as we had to pay £30, we arrived Sat morning and left Sun pm. If the traders are thinking its to expensive then I should also think that there are people like us that think its to expensive. I did tell a few traders and they said they would pass it on. As it will affect there business.

I stated a few months ago, that in my opinion these shows seem to expensive to camp at. The day admission is O.K. but then you come come to the stalls and the prices are mostly dearer than your own local motorhome supplier and buying on the internet even cheaper. If price of attending keeps on rising they will be seen for what they are, a rip off. chas

Chas

Well they do call it "Rip Off" Brittain don't they.

We just go to the shows to see whats about and what Man toys I should be saving up for.

Rarely we buy as you say, it's cheaper after the show, I suppose the stall holders have to get their stand charges back somehow.

Thai

Interestingly this same discussion came up on another Forum about shows in a completely different area to MH's.

The conclusion there was that with people buying via the Internet far more, the old idea of "Show Specials" is pretty much dead.

In fact one exhibitor came on and said that with the cost of travel, overnight stays for staff, and the cost of a pitch it was more profitable for them NOT to go and just sit at the computer and download the orders.

He actually said the shows were disruptive to normal business and that he only went to "fly the flag".

There are several issues for a small trader with taking stand space at shows. Cost of the stand space which can be anything from a few hundred pounds to several thousand depending on location, size and facilities included (leccy for example). Cost of transporting goods and people to the show. Overnight accomodation for staff. Loss of trade from your normal base 'cos you can only be in one place at a time. Punters who want to buy at "show special prices" which cut your profit margins. I reckon a small business like myself (one man band) would have to sell several thousand pounds worth of goods/services just to break even financially.

There is another purpose of having a show stand however. That of being seen to be in the market place. Many of my customers have commented that they looked for my stand at Peterborough, Newbury, Stratford, Shepton etc but couldn't find it. This leaves me in a bit of a quandary, do I stump up the costs of taking a stand at these shows or not? Another issue is whether the show organisers will take your business, I tried for Peterborough but the organisers would only allow me to trade two products.

D.

Much the same view as myself Dave.

I feel that the days of the shows are all but over as ways and means of producers advertising there product.

The excellent Bailey Caravan website is a great example. I can log on and "virtually" walk round there caravans.

No doubt soon I will be able to put "goggles" and have a real virtual visit (well you know what I mean!) rather than just looking at a revolving picture from the centre of the caravan.

I think the organisers of shows need to appreciate this - if they do not they will see themselves becoming increasingly redundant as part of a companies marketing mix.

CliveH - 2007-05-31 8:07 AM

Much the same view as myself Dave.

I feel that the days of the shows are all but over as ways and means of producers advertising there product.

The excellent Bailey Caravan website is a great example. I can log on and "virtually" walk round there caravans.

No doubt soon I will be able to put "goggles" and have a real virtual visit (well you know what I mean!) rather than just looking at a revolving picture from the centre of the caravan.

I think the organisers of shows need to appreciate this - if they do not they will see themselves becoming increasingly redundant as part of a companies marketing mix.

Clive,

I think many magazines will go the same way eventually, with instant info available on the www the younger generation will just bypass the mags.

Since taking up computing we have scrapped most of our magazine subscriptions.

We would come after a five month trip to find a pile of mags which very rarely got even a glance.

Last night I requested info from a Greek ferry company ref ferries from Corfu to Sarande, Albania the info has arrived already.

I know they are two hours in front of us but its still not bad going especially from a Greek ferry company.

Don

You do just wonder whether the economics don't favour increasing the gate price for visitors a bit, and letting the exhibitors off some of the cost.  There are thousands of visitors, who mainly go to see the relatively few exhibits.  Cheapening life for the exhibitors should increase the attractiveness of the show, by encouraging more exhibitors to take space, and enabling them to improve on their "show special" prices.  With better trade stands, and better offers, more visitors should result, even at a higher gate price, and the organisers gain overall, rather than lose.  Are they perhaps just a bit too short sightedly greedy for their own welfare?  I think they need to get themselves an economist and sack the accountant!

Taylormade were at Newbury & Shepton Mallet but after asking them how long it would take to fulfill an order I got the impression that they had too much on their plate already and didnt rally go out of their way to secure my order. Perhaps it wasnt big enpugh profit wise.

Motorhomer

One of the many problems facing the small business is not having spare capacity to cope with sudden high demands. I had a brief flirtation with this myself in March/April as I had so many bookings coming in I was booked solid for a month in advance, nice situation in some ways but stressful because it makes you worry that you might have to delay people too long and they'll go elsewhere. Now the new registrations peak has been and gone I'm back to a more reasonable 7 to 10 days. Eddie Taylor is quite layed back kfor a Yorkshire man, might you have mistaken his geniality for lack of enthusiasm?

D.

• 1 month later...
michele - 2007-07-07 9:37 AM

Anyone know how the weather is doing up there ? also how the show ground is looking ? an update for everyone is it going ahead?

Michele,

The weather is OK at present :-D :-D Windy/cloudy showers forecast later. Tomorrow the same with rain later. Monday and Tuesday rain forecast.

We are going to the showground on Tuesday to have a "Look see" and maybe take some pics 8-) 8-)

Will keep you updated.

Don

Don thanks . For the people that are not going or can not make it for what ever reason like ourselfs I would love to see any piccys that you may take.

I,m sure people would be interested we see it on the news here but nothing like seeing a real picture to try and get a better picture ? hope that makes sense. And here's my wishes that it all clears up and it goes ahead I know so many are looking forward to it..Good luck.

If the Lincoln show is still on we will be there the postie has just delivered two free tickets for the show from a local newspaper comp we entered can't be bad a good week really last weekend at Brownhills bash at Newark we won £100 M&S vouchers thanks to Caravanguard  and to top it just checked premium bonds on internet and won £50 again but I bet tonights lottery will not be in my favour

Archived