mobile phones

handyman

mobile phones  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Theres many of my friends who have them but never charge them, they hand out their number when they get the novelty but once the battery runs out thats it!

My mum 82 has one as she walks her dog 3 miles a day and we made her get one, not convinced she takes it with her though, we wanted her to keep it in her car for at night but not sure she does that either.

I don't use mine very often and texting drives me nutty, 10 years ago I could text on a phone faster than I can type on here, now it takes me half and hour to send a sentence almost.

I have a friend with 5 children ranging from 35 to 7 and she just won't have one, I think we can all guess why though, lets just say she has a car and only works part time. It does come as a surprise though when anyone under 50 doesn't have one, its just another expected accessory now adays, bit like a computer or microwave and of course car.

Will be an interesting thread this

Mandy

Guest Tracker

We have one each but rarely use them because, being a bit old fashioned, we believe that talking should be done face to face when possible and phones are for communication.

For communication they are invaluable and if ever you heed help away from home the mobile phone is very often the only key to access it.

I had one as soon as it became realistic, (not like the original brick) the first phone was great, one phone call and the battery was flat, you had to charge it daily.

our home phone is ex directory, so i only give my mobile number out to people i don't know (this includes banks, and any other company who insist that they need it) this way i don't get any nusance calls.

pete

My Mother, aged 81, doesn't have one. But that's only because she is a complete technophobe. She freely acknowledges how practical they are. On a personal note, I rarely get through a day without mobile/txt usage. That's pretty sad (In my opinion) but no matter how I try to avoid the thing, I cant. Having said that, it's bailed us out on more than one occasion.

Martyn

we used the internet for sending free texts when we were away for 1 year travelling. You got 20 a day for free, i think it was with yahoo.

5 years ago it cost 60p a text, so it was a nice saving, and you could keep in touch with peoples mobiles.

speaking of 'bricks' OH got one for work - there was a pool of them issued for specific reasons as I recall. It was designated as a 'car phone' which was just as well because the 'battery' thingy was about the same size and weight as a car battery. It was state of the art absolute cutting edge technology at the time. :-> :-> :-> :D :D

fyi - Orange operate an overdraft facility of £2.50 for when you run out of credit - probably works out at about 8 minutes but better than nothing.

B-)

I was 'ordered' by my son to get a mobile earlier this year as he was concerned about me being out of contact when driving. I bought a cheap 'pay as you go' and have spent no more that £15:00 on calls to date. I do not use it for conversations but more as a radio to receive/transmit. Message, therefore, are 'clear, concise and to the point'.

I.e. Hi, E.T.A. 20 mins. See you then, bye!'

Which is good for me as I am a great practiser of verbosity normally. (as you may well have noticed!)

Regards Mike

Archived