pegs

Forester

Last week we were at a site where they had hard standing hook ups. I wanted to try my new awning out but could not do it fully due to the flags that we parked on, so therefore is my question; what are the best sort of pegs & is there a specific drill/bit that is used to drill the flags so we can put our pegging rubbers on?

chopper

Guest caraprof
Drilling flags is not recommended. You will be far better using superglue. Of course, when you move you will have to take a number of flags with you as your pegs will be stuck to them, but in future, the weight of the flags will then keep your awning down and you'll never need to push in a peg again.

Guest caraprof
Forester - 2007-06-11 3:09 PM can you post a picture of how you do yours?

Sorry, but I've never actually done it. I'm not so stupid as to park on flags!

caraprof - 2007-06-11 3:54 PM
Forester - 2007-06-11 3:09 PM can you post a picture of how you do yours?

Sorry, but I've never actually done it. I'm not so stupid as to park on flags!

Oh super mouth when the site HAS HARD STANDING ONLY  & there are plenty around if you would have bothered asking. It is a very simple question that i have asked if you cannot answer it proper dont bother.

michele he's back to normal see.

Guest caraprof

I'm fully aware that some sites are only hard standing but that has never been a problem for me. I'm a filthy rich businessman and I simply slip the warden a hundred quid.

He then persuades himself that the pitch is due for renovation and he digs out the flags for the duration of my stay.

It's much better than messing about with drills and superglue. Who comes up with these stupid ideas?

All this stuff about awning pegs seems the least of your worries if you want to park on flags - I want to know HOW YOU GET THE VAN UP THE FLAGPOLE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

And anyway, isn't parking on flags a bit of an insult to the countries whose flags they are?

Tony

Tony Jones - 2007-06-11 10:41 PM

All this stuff about awning pegs seems the least of your worries if you want to park on flags - I want to know HOW YOU GET THE VAN UP THE FLAGPOLE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

And anyway, isn't parking on flags a bit of an insult to the countries whose flags they are?

Tony

This question was asked in all seriousness Tony and if you have nothing positive to offer may I suggest you remain silent.

Hi Wayne. Rather than mess around with drills or superglue why don,t you buy half a dozen of those stone statues you see at garden centres. Ideal for what you want, and if you get the ones of the small boy having a piddle not only will it look artistic but you also have those handy appendages to tie the guy ropes on to. Hope this helps.

Wayne ,

Franks only playing just like the rest of us....seriously i don't know what to suggest to you. the only time we dne a similar thing for the kids in the garden we had to secure to flags my husband did drill them and conter sunk a funny ??? anyway it held the guide ropes and bits it worked a treat .

The kids couln't stubb there toe as he sunk them in... :D

Trying to drive pegs into a hard surface will not be possible in most cases Chopper. The only thing I can suggest is that you weigh the skirt down with something that can be filled with water and folds up for easy storage. Can,t think of anything at the moment but maybe someone has seen or tried something similar and can let you know.

Fiamma used to offer awning skirt weights ( nothing to do with the female gender) check out thier comprehensive website. You can of course obtain rock pegs which are hardened steel designed for rocky hard ground ( not concrete) can be bought on ebay. ( is it all worth it) chas

There has been a large explosion at a house in Bolton this morning,(no one hurt) I'm wondering if its Franks house when he's had a go at pitching his awning on hard ground and drilled into a pipe so he could advise me what to do!!!!.

chas - 2007-06-12 6:03 AM Fiamma used to offer awning skirt weights ( nothing to do with the female gender) check out thier comprehensive website. You can of course obtain rock pegs which are hardened steel designed for rocky hard ground ( not concrete) can be bought on ebay. ( is it all worth it) chas

Well it depends on what you want, the site we have just come from was realy great, 2nd time there, spotlesly clean, fishing (nice carp) kiddies play area. Boiling water & toilets/showers that are clean no matter what time you use them. But alas all hard standing pitches

Hi Wayne- If you really like the site and intend to use it often, then I can only suggest that you fabricate yourself up some 2x1 timber strips the length of the 3 sides of the awning and fit the peg out rubbers to that with small plastic clips and screws and allow the timber to run on longer enough so you may then anchor it down where there is a joint in the flags with a hardened peg or standard peg if the flag gap is wide enough. This timber gear could then always go with you when you know your going to that site. chas 8-)

howie - 2007-06-11 10:59 PM

Tony Jones - 2007-06-11 10:41 PM

Hi Wayne. Rather than mess around with drills or superglue why don,t you buy half a dozen of those stone statues you see at garden centres. Ideal for what you want, and if you get the ones of the small boy having a piddle not only will it look artistic but you also have those handy appendages to tie the guy ropes on to. Hope this helps.

Hi Howie,

How about motorgnomes?

Bob

Shhhhhhh ... you've not supposed to tell everyone what Howie really is!!!!!! He gets very tetchy on the subject although, of course, being the good sport he is he'll try to bluff that it's not bothering him ... just don't pinch his fishing rod or pointy hat. :D

If you pair have quite finished with your cutting wit and humour perhaps we can now get back to the more serious question posed by Chopper on how to secure his awning on paving or hard standing.

I still think those statues I mentioned earlier would be ideal for what he wants. Heavy, ornamental, and when the seasons over they could still brighten up the garden through the winter months, and as long as he makes sure none of them have more than half a lob on, making sure the guy lines stay on should present no problems at all. Bob may not agree, but what do do you think Melanie.

Guest caraprof

Please tell me that all of this hasn't been one big TC101-type of spoof? When he asked about drill bits for drilling holes through the flags of his hard standing he cannot have been serious!

My superglue idea seems to have been taken seriously and now Howie's garden gnomes are taking on a life of their own!

Come on Forester, tell us that all this was a bit of a laugh!

Spoof can be stranger than fiction sometimes Frank. A few months back on the main forum some guy was blowing his top because the brand new motorhome he had just bought did not have rear seat belts and his dreams of taking the grandchildren away for weekends with him and his wife were in tatters. Checking that the van had these seatbelts before he bought it would have helped perhaps.

In Waynes case he has found a site that really suits them to a tee. The problem is that its all hardstanding making it difficult to peg out the awning for his grandson to sleep in. Drilling holes in the paving would not have been my prefered option either, but seeing as you are the one that upset him then your only redemption is to come up with a workable solution.

Wayne,

How about sandbagging it Ok don't laugh but it may be an idea after all its got to be fairly cheap and the good waether is supposed to be coming now SOON ...Anyway I wonder if perhaps some of these weekends that you go away on may be able to help you out after all there was plenty of sandbags around in the war as they are quite heavy it shouldn't blow away ! Silly ???? maybe worth a look at hope this helps ;-)

michele - 2007-06-13 3:01 PM Wayne, How about sandbagging it Ok don't laugh but it may be an idea after all its got to be fairly cheap and the good waether is supposed to be coming now SOON ...Anyway I wonder if perhaps some of these weekends that you go away on may be able to help you out after all there was plenty of sandbags around in the war as they are quite heavy it shouldn't blow away ! Silly ???? maybe worth a look at hope this helps ;-)

Hiya giggles. We dont actually use sand in the bags as they would be to heavy to transport around or, to dear to fill up at each event, we fill them with hay. Have you typed in re the pegs? after some detective work its what a lot of caravaners use as they use hardstanding pitchers a lot. so problem resolved. & yes it was worth a look at. This weekend we are at Rennishaw Hall Sheffield camping within the hall grounds (free).  

Archived