rome

clareh

hi all. im just back from a break to rome - 2nd time this year - those of you who have visited will know, im sure, what an amazing city this is. we were blessed with scorching weather yet again, a real bonus for sight seeing, of which is never ending. it wasnt a motorhome trip of course, we had the priviledge of being waited on, nice for a change! much as i love my MH adventures its great to travel alternatively!

im due to have a knee op in a couple of weeks so ive been cramming break-away's in - MH or otherwise - before im incapacitated. i will be off work for approx 6 weeks tho' so you may see more of me on the forums!! (as i anticipate boredom will be hard to handle - i may even welcome your jokes!!!!)

Hi Clare - well met m'dear.

I must confess that at first I thought the title was an instruction rather than a location - but that's just 'cos I've got a twisted mind.

Rome eh? The cradle of civilisation. Gradually being choked by its own poluution, sadly.

The only place with worse drivers than here in Spain!

Architecture awesome. Restaurant and bar prices similar.

Good luck with the op. If you're going NHS just paint a HUGE cross in blue pen on the one you want them to dig into.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Hi Clare. Only been to Rome on rugby trips so limited to what I saw, but a wonderfull place as you say.

Had my knee done 4 years and spent 7 months in a full plastercast. Its at times like this you will realise your full potential and ingenuity when it comes to doing simple everyday tasks such as taking a shower or getting in and out of a car. I,ve no doubt you will overcome these difficulties with ease, but lets hope you have a strong sense of humour. ;-)

ha! youre not wrong....i had previously had the knee operated on several years ago. i laid on the bed to be prepped for the procedure, the surgeon came in with a rather large group of med students and proceeded to glance at my notes before explaining the routine op to them - as he did so he marked the incision and graft sites.......on the wrong leg!!!! of course i promptly told him AND his audience - would be rude not to!! BUT i do infact work for the NHS so im careful not to be too critical (at least not until AFTER the op anyway!!!)

Howie i hear what youre saying....im not looking forward to the restrictrictions and inconvenience of it all. but i need it doing, simple as. truth is it should have been done years ago but i put it off. those were the days...when i would randomly collapse blaming it on one too many vodkas!nowadays i only have to sniff a grand marnier liquer choc and i fall over. thats when i realised the time is right!!!!!! the kneecap has a mind of its own unfortunately! but im looking forward to the intense physio programme and the flexibility it will bring me (there you are.... i do have a sense of humour!!!!) (lol)

Never mind the inconvenience and restrictions Clare. Spent most of my adult life pandering to a bunch of ungratefull bunch of gimme gimme sprogs so time to play the sympathy card to the full. Amazing what you can get away with, and as long as you don,t overdo it you can spend your entire period of incapacitation being waited on hand and foot.

Just a word on the physio side of things. Physiotherapists are to a man (and woman) a hard working, underpaid and undervalued collection of brutal sadists. Your Doctor will advise you on how to exercise the affected muscles when the plaster is applied, and as it only takes a week or two for muscles to lose their "memory" following these instructions to the letter will save you a lot of grief later on.

Hi hope the op goes well, you need to make sure you have plenty of help around you after the op, sounds like you will be out of action for a while, anyway at least you got your trip to Rome in before you went under the knife.

Maybe you can get someone to drive your bus somewhere nice and park you up for a few days to break the boredom.

Please make sure they do the correct knee and good luck.

Thelma :-(

Archived