satelite tv in spain

horse444

Horse,

Sorry the best we can do is South of France because we do't do Spain as yet.

But everything works fine there how big is your dish?

This should say I am no expert and perhaps this would stand a better chance of getting a good reply on M/H matters . As not sure but I think youhave to have a fairly substantial dish fairly large.

Our dish is 85 cm also

Apparently it is something to do with the "footprint" the sattelite broadcasts and Spain is just outside it. We were told recently that Sky & the BBC have altered the signal size because of the amount of people getting Freeview. BBC Freeview is not supposed to be free outside the UK, and channel 4 & 5 are only free in the uk and you can only get them when you pay a subscription to Sky.

I was told that freeview is available in France because the French decided that it was cheaper to "piggyback" off Sky than put up their own sattelite system, so French broadcasters just pay for a licence to use them. I am not sure of the authenticity of this but it seems practical to me!

We received it fine at La Marina, Alicanti (Feb 06), as we did at Marbella, on the Kathreine system (square dish equivalent to 50cm). Although from the previous posting things may well have changed since then.

One thing to try is to ask what transponder frequency the local installers use to import the Astra 28 signal and switch to that if you are savvy with the installer set up menu. I know this worked for several people who were having trouble - the frequency will reset itself automatically when next used in the UK. Alternatively as a local TV engineer to do it for you whilst there, they are quite used to getting us Brits out of trouble.

Alicante is a little below the edge of the Astra2D footprint. (BBC and ITV broadcast on Astra2D). But it is still possible with an 85cm dish (better with a 1m).

In order to get the dish lined up with Astra it would be better to change the default transponder of your Sky digibox to a frequency broadcast on the southern transponders. I use 12207v as it is about the strongest of the lot and being unencrypted can be seen almost anywhere. (12207v has Sky News Uk and Ireland on it).

To change it simply, on the remote control, press SERVICES then select SYSTEM SET UP then press 0 then 1 then select in that order. On the menu you will see Default transponder – select it. The top line should read 11778. Key in 12207 then go to save settings and select.

By doing this you will find that the signal test under system setup will work. Should you move further north and your digibox picks up the northern transponders it will automatically revert to its original setting so if you then move south again you will have to change the default back to 12207v.

Good luck with it. If you need any further info I wrote a piece for www.motorhometoday.co.uk which you will find under "top tips" headed satellite reception in Spain which you may find helpfull.

We were in La Linea in June and having problems getting anything proper on our sat. system. I mentioned it to our "neighbour", a Dutch guy, 20 minutes later he knocked on our door with enough electronic gadgetry to actually launch a sattelite! Within 5 minutes we were set up and receiving sound and vision. Trouble was it was all in foreign! Only Sky News was in English.

We turned it off until we got back to France, where we found English telly again, and read books and did sudoku, which I can highly reccommend as ideal van entertainment.

For anyone interested I am now on the "hard" level!

Archived