spare wheel carrier

Mick H.

I'm looking to get the spare wheel out of the garage of our hymer and sling it underneath.I've seen in the new caravan club mag.June 2007. page 140 an ad. for a spare wheel carrier made by 'General & tube Engineering, Manchester.anybody got any views on spare wheel carriers in general and this one in paticular.Thank you in anticipation of some excellent replies.

Hi Mick. This firm have advertised for years in the ccc mag so they must be doing something right. "No drilling, easy to fit. fits all known chassis, fully adjustable and all for less than £40. Worth a try surely.

Firstly I would say I think the undeslung cradle you're talking about is designed for trailer caravans not motorhomes. The chassis is quite different on the two types of vehicle. Secondly I would say leave the spare in the garage (that's the one in the back of the motorhome not the one at home) 'cos if you ever need it it'll be much easier to get at in there than under the chassis. I also think you might have problems finding space for it under the chassis of a Hymer.

D.

davenewell@home - 2007-06-06 7:10 AM

Secondly I would say leave the spare in the garage (that's the one in the back of the motorhome not the one at home) 'cos if you ever need it it'll be much easier to get at in there than under the chassis.

D.

I agree with Dave - don't do it! I took the spare OUT from under the back of Hannibal, fed up with wrestling with it on the hard shoulder of continental motorways. (My solution isn't relevant to your Hymer, but I did a bit of metal-butchery with a grinder to make the original cradle into a bracket for the back door. Not entirely satisfactory as the door isn't designed for the weight, but it's passed a couple of MoT's since, and is MUCH easier to get when needed!)

Tony

davenewell@home - 2007-06-06 7:10 AM

Secondly I would say leave the spare in the garage (that's the one in the back of the motorhome not the one at home) 'cos if you ever need it it'll be much easier to get at in there than under the chassis.

D.

I agree with Dave - don't do it! I took the spare OUT from under the back of Hannibal, fed up with wrestling with it on the hard shoulder of continental motorways. (My solution isn't relevant to your Hymer, but I did a bit of metal-butchery with a grinder to make the original cradle into a bracket for the back door. Not entirely satisfactory as the door isn't designed for the weight, but it's passed a couple of MoT's since, and is MUCH easier to get when needed!)

(First time I've managed to attach a picture - had to prune it to fit)

Tony

6343452_Sparewheel.JPG.2b1876f4a6574fceb739d97ccac71d10.JPG

You see, the trouble with this site is that you can't fit whole pictures on it. Here's another bit.

I managed to buy a stick-on plate, with digits, for a few quid at an Essex camping accessory place. It's supposed to be illegal for people to sell those now, but if you can get them it's still legal to use them.

Tony

1386821884_NoPlate.JPG.2d0245772b8b64f41093be38dcefb209.JPG

Problem solved then Tony. Ideal place for the spare on your van and the door/hinge should be more than up to the extra weight put on it. I,ve seen vans with the same setup going round for years without any problems.

Still think its worth Mick asking General Tube if its possible to fit one of their carriers to his Hymer. They might even knock one up just as a one off for him.

Been enough said on how spares are fitted to motorhomes and no doubt its everybodys favorite gripe. The only sensible option i.ve seen is on the Avondale caravans where the spare goes into recess on the floor, but I believe they,ve done away with this as well now.

Hi,

It,s me again.Sorry for no input or replies been in a bad area and am on wireless.Thanks for input Howie,I think it,s worth a try. Dave, you havn,t seen my garage,take an hour to unload.The underside of my Hymer has some good space with strong angle that I think would support a carrier. THANKS FOR INPUT

MICK H.

Archived