the environment

handyman

I hate when there are obvious things that can be done to reduce pollution/traffic/landfill etc.

I have to travel 20 miles to pick up a parcel that Amtrak has tried to deliver twice. Why don't they deliver in the evenings to houses, when most people are out working all day.

Then there was that advert on the tv for concentrated fabric conditioner. It said if everyone used concentrated stuff, then it would take hundreds of HGVs off the road.

Just a few examples amongst many.

I think the government must put laws (or incentives) in place, to make these things happen. Look at Ireland, where supermarkets must charge for bags. Everyone re uses them now.

Guest starspirit

Forgive me, not that I'm a cynic, but I thought the whole idea of concentrated liquids was to save the maker money in packaging and transport?

An extra bonus for them is that we all tend to use much more than we need to because we are so used to using much more.

I'm no chemist but I doubt in all honesty that the active ingredients in a concentrated liquid cost that much more to produce than in a dilute formula?

As care for the environment is politically correct these days I see it as little more than a rather cynical gimmick.

Which is not to say that we don't support the cause of less waste - we just object to the politicisation of it all the time because it is fashionable.

very true, the cash savings on transportation and packaging of these items probably isn't passed onto the customer.

but on the other hand, if it all had to be concentrated, and you couldn't get 'normal' stuff, then would the market would set the price??

another one,

i have just got a new table saw. It was in a glossy box with pictures on it. Why? This glossy cardboard uses a lot of materials to produce, and isn't very good for recycling. Again, if all stuff in boxes going into BnQ had to be in plain printed boxes, would that not be a good thing.

It just feels very wasteful, even if it isn't connected with 'environmental issues'

Walk your kids to school, or when they are old enough let them go on a baike. There would be less traffic, so the air would be cleaner and the roads would be emptier, they, and you, would get fitter and there would be less obese kids. They would learn to be more self sufficient and would get more life skills.

handyman - 2007-10-09 1:15 PM another one, i have just got a new table saw. It was in a glossy box with pictures on it. Why? This glossy cardboard uses a lot of materials to produce, and isn't very good for recycling. Again, if all stuff in boxes going into BnQ had to be in plain printed boxes, would that not be a good thing. It just feels very wasteful, even if it isn't connected with 'environmental issues'

Problem is that if it wasn't packaged in a smart glossy box most people wouldn't buy it, but possibly attitudes look like they may be changing.

Tomo3090 - 2007-10-09 4:42 PM

Walk your kids to school, or when they are old enough let them go on a baike. There would be less traffic, so the air would be cleaner and the roads would be emptier, they, and you, would get fitter and there would be less obese kids. They would learn to be more self sufficient and would get more life skills.

We've got 'walking buses' in my town. A designated parent dons a hi vis vest and the children join/leave at their house.

It's very popular & must reduce pollution - a lot less 4x4's on the road at school time.

Bazza454 - 2007-10-09 6:33 PM

Problem is that if it wasn't packaged in a smart glossy box most people wouldn't buy it, but possibly attitudes look like they may be changing.

This is what i hope would happen if they were forced to only have plain boxes........then people would only have the choice of a plain box

Guest starspirit
Bazza454 - 2007-10-09 6:33 PM

But if shops were real shops where goods were displayed properly and shop assistants became sales assistants knowledgeable in what they were selling fancy boxes would become redundant once more just like they used to be before progress took hold?

Fabric softener only exists because a company wanted to make money. Almost everything around us in this modern world exists for the same reason. We buy fabric softener because we chose to, even though someone is getting rich from it. If someone at the fabric softener company comes up with a way to soften (excuse the pun!) the impact to the environment, and make even more money from us, then it still comes down to the same issue. We get to choose. In this country I have heard over and over again, there is nothing we can do, it's the Government's responsibility. It's as though we have given our freedom of choice over to someone else.

We need to get over the fact that companies make money, and usually only act out of self-interest, and start choosing to do the right thing for the environment. We need to get over the fact that protecting the environment has become fashionable and just do it anyway.

My reply would be, before the company came up with promoting the concentate based on environmental grounds, why was there not already a huge rush on concentrated liquids in the supermarket? We buy concentrate. It's less plastic, less cartage, lower impact.

We all need to stop thinking of rich businessmen and politicisation and anything else that is infinitely annoying, and just get on with the job.  IMHO ;-)

Guest starspirit

But Mom being a big softy I likes my clothes and towels nice and soft and cuddly and I would not be a happy fluffy bunny without fabric softener!

Being the selfish git that I am I don't care what size the bottle is as long as me clothes smell nice!

mom - 2007-10-09 9:10 PMFabric softener only exists because a company wanted to make money. Almost everything around us in this modern world exists for the same reason. We buy fabric softener because we chose to, even though someone is getting rich from it. If someone at the fabric softener company comes up with a way to soften (excuse the pun!) the impact to the environment, and make even more money from us, then it still comes down to the same issue. We get to choose. In this country I have heard over and over again, there is nothing we can do, it's the Government's responsibility. It's as though we have given our freedom of choice over to someone else.

We need to get over the fact that companies make money, and usually only act out of self-interest, and start choosing to do the right thing for the environment. We need to get over the fact that protecting the environment has become fashionable and just do it anyway.

My reply would be, before the company came up with promoting the concentate based on environmental grounds, why was there not already a huge rush on concentrated liquids in the supermarket? We buy concentrate. It's less plastic, less cartage, lower impact.

We all need to stop thinking of rich businessmen and politicisation and anything else that is infinitely annoying, and just get on with the job.  IMHO ;-)

Well said MOM.

Archived