wintering in south greece,television reception?

thecooks

Guest caraprof

The Astra satellites which transmit the regular BBC and ITV programmes are very poor if not non-existent in southern Greece.

I've no doubt that you'll be able to receive international progammes, such as CNN etc. if you have the correct equipment but you can forget your regular Eastenders!

You need a real expert here to advise on the right kind of digibox and dish so if no one pops up I'd start Googling asap.

What a blessing. Can you imagine the horror if the only programme you could receive was Eastenders? ;-) I have no experience at all of travelling with a motorhome abroad, however, I have lived in some European countries over the years when Mrs Windsor was my boss. During that time it was always possible to get some sort of TV in English. Mainly news broadcasts, but, in many countries films are still sent out in English speaking but with the local language done in subtitles. You could always take with you a selection of decent DVD's. Or, I hope this isn't too radical, how about a good selection of books?

Guest caraprof

Here we go again! Someone asks about an aspect of TV and as usual there's someone to give us his own smug opinion on how we should be reading books or watching DVDs!

That's not what he asked for God's sake! Apart from which to watch DVDs you need a DVD player and a TV, so if you're lugging that with you, why not plug in an aerial and get the lot?

I read lots of books, currently the latest authoritive account of Agincourt and the politics leading up to it, but I also enjoy television.

Has it ever occurred to these cultural snobs that some of us like to keep up with the news and current affairs? We also enjoy the odd entertainment programme, and what's wrong with that?

Guest caraprof

But it's just the same that we talked about earlier with the satnav. Do we really believe that thecooks are not bright enough to work out that they can take some books on holiday?

As I said, this is another case of some smart alec proving how intellectual he is by telling us that we shouldn't really be watching TV.

Regretably, such pointless interventions just tell us how dumb they actually are.

Guest caraprof

On the contrary Vic, you and your kind really should take notice. I and many others really object to the sort of smart-arse who interrupts a thread about the efficacies of satellite TV, with such dumb-ass remarks as: "You could take a few books."

We're bright enough to work that out ourselves you know.

Whenever there's a thread started about, say, the best value speed camera detectors, up pops a Vic. "Why do you want a speed camera detector, I've been driving for 98 years and never exceeded 27 mph?"

Well bully for your Vic, but that's not what this thread is about, so please bugger off!

Guest caraprof
I know! And as you know I love a good debate but you're probably right, the poor souls don't even know that all they are doing is giving us a load of SOTBOs.

It's given me one! 

Frank, one just has to accept broad, wooly, interpretations of what threads are about.  It's a bit like pure research, sometimes useful information comes from unlikely quarters!

If we all impose stringent, narrowly drawn, definitions of where strings are allowed to ramble off to, half the fun will go!  A good half the "off thread" posts are tongue in cheek anyhow.

Now admit it: you're really just miffed because Vic cast aspersions at your favourite programme!  :-)

Guest caraprof

I don't actually mind going off topic, as you say, sometimes it's interesting. But what I'm talking about is totally different. It's about people almost denying the topic and actually criticising the fact that you've even dared to post.

Television - who needs televison? You must be morons, read a book!

Speed camera detectors - Who needs them? You must be irresponsible criminals, stick to the speed limit (another SOTBO if ever there was!).

Well, what a little hornets nest appears to have been stirred up. You may have noticed in my post the winking emoticon. Did that not suggest a little tongue in cheek in my reply. I did further mention that my experience in Europe showed that in the main the only English speaking programmes were news broadcasts. I thought that may have been helpful. Obviously not!

Yes this did stir up a hornets nest, and this was never intended,

thank you anyway, we are both big readers, never watched eastenders in our lives,we always keep a supply of DVDs but i like to know whats happening back home,just now and then, this does get a little silly does't it !!

Archived