york show, what did you think of it?

handyman

i'm looking at it from the point of view of not needing a new van. I was interested in seeing some of them, but there wasnt many 08 models, most were 07 models.

I was there for the shops, getting bits and bobs for the van. The shops were poor, and more expensive than online (just ordered everything i was going to get there, from agentfiamma.co.uk for less, and caktanks)

Took ages to get in, as the field we had booked was flooded. The wait (50mins) was just purely down to disorganisation.

Just didnt think it was worth the money and hassle..........I'm sure i'll get told different (lol) ;-)

How was it for the van buyers?

had a wee go at the brownhills salesman, as they had a similar (bigger) 06 model euramobil as my one which they have had for ages, which they have now registered with a 57 plate. Had to drag out him it was a old van, as they didnt indicate this fact anywhere on the price tag, which they had put up in price for the show 8-)

We thoroughly enjoyed the show although we went more to meet up with friends than for anything specific. We did buy a memory foam mattress topper at a good price though which made it worth the visit. I was impressed with the new range of budget 'vans from Pilote called "Moveo" but the one mob who were displaying them seemed to have a strange way of dealing with prospective customers, they threw me and a few others out of the display A class 8-) ! Good prices though, A class at £35,000, low profile permanent rear bed job at £26,000.

D.

Guest caraprof

I'm not trying to be controversial here and this is a genuine question.

Why would anyone want to go to a show at York, with the mud etc. when in two or three weeks there's the big one at the N.E.C.?

If I were in the market for a new motorhome, or even some accessories, I'd much prefer to go to Birmingham and have at least a couple of days in the dry and civilised atmosphere of a huge exhibition centre.

caraprof,

Thats why i'm asking...........i was disappointed, although the day in york made up for it.

If you took out the first line of your post, thats exactly what i wanted to here about............

Still dont think the exhibition centre would be cheaper than agentfiamma? and other shops?

caraprof - 2007-09-23 7:21 PM

I'm not trying to be controversial here and this is a genuine question.

Nowt at all wrong with asking.
caraprof - 2007-09-23 7:21 PM

Why would anyone want to go to a show at York, with the mud etc. when in two or three weeks there's the big one at the N.E.C.?

If I were in the market for a new motorhome, or even some accessories, I'd much prefer to go to Birmingham and have at least a couple of days in the dry and civilised atmosphere of a huge exhibition centre.

For us, living in Middlesbrough, York is much closer - though we did enjoy a visit to the NEC last year.We had intended camping at York this year, just to enjoy camping and York itself as much as anything, but Sod's Law of ill health precluded that (and will stop us visiting the NEC this year).However, because we are so close we did manage to get down for the day yesterday - and were able to meet up with friends we don't see very often plus put faces to names from this and another forum.Hopefully in future years we'll be able to put Sod behind us and enjoy both events :-) Graham

We went to York show, we wild camped on Friday and Saturday nights nearby and went to the large car boot sale on Saturday morning, then into York after lunch and high-tailed it back to the show on Saturday to 'meet the team' at 3.00 pm - from the forum we met up with Dave Newell (& Jackie), Clive MG (& Janet), Carolh (& Charles), Hymer Carol & hubby, Graham (& Gill), Don Madge, Michele (& hubby), and 'Frankkia'. After a little mooch round the vans and tea we went to Carol & Charles' van and met up with Hymer Carol & hubby (sorry can't remember his name!) ... had a great night nattering - must've been good as CarolH had a hangover this morning!!! Today, got Air-Ride fitted first thing then into the show, mooched around the vans, stalls, vans, and more vans, stalls and yup, more vans! Managed to resist the pork scratchings this year ... a first!

Weather - wasn't bad at all whilst we were there, there was a very brief (blink of an eye) spattering of drizzle on Saturday afternoon and again a bit first thing this morning (two blinks of an eye!), other than that it was quite warm yesterday and sunny with a bit of cloud, today was a bit more overcase and not quite as warm but still quite pleasant. Yes there was a bit of mud but nothing like other years' due to the fact that a lot of track had been laid both in the exhibition area and as a roadway into the camping area. It was lovely to be able to potter about in the fresh air. The other thing is that it is much cheaper to get into as a day visitor than the NEC show.

Why do we do it? It is a lovely show, the site is nice and easy to get around, the stalls and vans are all in close proximity so you don't end up walking more about than is really necessary. It's well placed to be able to go into York on the cycles, which only takes a few minutes, for a potter around - this year it again fell on the same weekend as the York food festival with lots of stalls selling lots of goodies ... and lots of yummie free tastings (hic)!

As for the show itself, apart from the fact that there are a lot of stalls of different types (quite a few new traders this time as well as the old favourites), there are lots and lots of vans to look at, you may not see lots of the new 2008 models, although there were quite a few, but you do see a lot of quality second hand or new 2007 models that dealers have to sell off, the prices on lots were good and some bargains were to be had. From the number of vans that were driven past on Saturday tea-time after the show had closed and again this morning, a lot of deals had been done.

We like the show, for us it's not too far to go which is a bonus, it always has a really nice atmosphere, being quite relaxed and you don't feel under pressure at all when looking round vans, you don't get pounced on by the sales people or made to feel uncomfortable (... we didn't get kicked out of the nice van Dave is referring to ... must be summut to do with the party that Dave was having in it! ;-) .

Yes, you will see a lot more of the 'new model' vans at the NEC show but not everyone wants or can afford a new van and you don't get many second hand ones there. I'd say the York show, and outside shows generally, are more relaxed and for second hand vans one of the best ways you can see a lot in one spot from lots of different dealers. If you want lots of new models then an indoor show is the best. It really depends on what you want or are looking for.

Accessories - you can buy stuff cheaper on line, like most things, but sometimes you need to actually be able to see what stuff is like before purchasing it so in that regard you can't beat seeing it at a show. Some stuff is dearer at the show, they have overheads etc to cover, more that 'shops' on the internet but what you don't see are some of the bargains that are on offer when they are clearing out some of the old stock, or end of season sales. Nothing is making you buy stuff at a show but sometimes it can work out cheaper than buying on line as, apart from anything else, you can save the postage. Again, it's up to everyone to decide for themselves where/when/what to purchase.

Me, I wouldn't miss it, one of the best motorhome shows of the year.

Archived