Door Mirror Replacement

Mike N

Good afternoon all. Hopefully this tip may prove useful for some of you. I recently had an altercation with a skip lorry resulting in a broken drivers side door mirror unit on my 2017 Bessacar 412. Its on a Fiat Ducato chassis. Having done a bit of research online and made a few calls I ended up at The Wing Mirror Man. www.wingmirrorman.co.uk. The replacement arrived in under 24 hours, I paid £4.99 for express delivery

https://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/

including insurance. Having now fitted the mirror unit I am happy to report it works great, the quality is spot on and I felt for £200, it was decent value. The unit itself has electric adjustment of the two mirrors, is heated and has the temp gauge built in. Its the Long Arm version. Happy to recommend these guys.

Useful link, thanks.

There's an opportunity to make the wing mirror more visible, and therefore less likely to be banged. Yes, you can buy bright yellow covers, for a couple of hundred pounds, but looking at other vans, those with amber turn indicators on the wing mirrors are far more noticeable than the likes of my van, clear with an amber bulb inside. £19.99 each from the wing mirror man, will think about it, need to find out how to fit of course.

Conrad

There are detailed instructions (that may deter you!) on how to remove a Ford Transit Mk 8’s exterior mirror's indicator lens on this YouTube video

A cursory GOOGLE search reveals that amber mirror indicator lenses for Transit Mk 8s are marketed very inexpensively on-line by several suppliers (example advert here)

https://tinyurl.com/ycd7odut

Replacing damaged exterior mirrors has often been discussed on this forum. It perhaps needs highlighting that some of the cheaper mirrors have proved problematical, and in this 2019 discussion a forum-member said that he had bought a succession of replacement mirrors with only the fifth purchase functioning properly.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-wing-mirrors/51922/

Regarding visibility of the mirrors . Mine are black and overhang the side of the van by 10 " each side.To make them more visible I have stuck strips of white reflective tape on the front, and red reflective on the rear facing rim.

Brian B.

thebishbus - 2020-05-04 4:56 PM

Regarding visibility of the mirrors . Mine are black and overhang the side of the van by 10 " each side.To make them more visible I have stuck strips of white reflective tape on the front, and red reflective on the rear facing rim.

Brian B.

Good plan. Mine presently have reflective yellow cunningly cut wheel bin numbers!

Thanks for the links, Derek. Think I'll stick with present bulb lenses!!

• 1 month later...

Archived