Electric on the move.

BensGrandad

I have an old Sherpa Highwayman Camper (can't afford a newish camper.) we usually go to sites that have hook up but occassionally when going to watch my pride and joy Brighton & Hove Albion we have to stop in places that do not have this facility. I am considering forms of power for the lighting, kettle and tv (Match of The Day).

I am undecided on what would be best. The camper doesnt have a leisure battery.

Should I:

1. Fit a leisure Battery and charger etc, is this a simple DIY job.

2. Buy an inverter if so what size would I need to power the above items.

3. Buy a small generator.

4. Brother in law suggested just a 2nd battery connected permanently to Earth and after driving for about 30 mins stop leave engine running disconnect live lead from the battery and change lead to 2nd battery then run on that to charge it. When stopping use that for power and 1st battery to start the van next morning and swop over again etc.

Any advice would be helpful.

Personally I would fit a leisure battery and charger plus the dual charge relay for charging from the alternator while driving.

TV, will yours run from 12v, if so thats fine.

Lighting again with a leisure battery you have 12v.

Kettle, if NOT on hook up it's got to be the old fashioned way with a standard kettle on your gas stove.

Glad to hear of someone else with an old banger - I get a bit of an inferiority complex (at least, I would if I knew how to have one) when I'm surrounded by all these gleaming white land yachts!

The brother-in-law's idea will work, but it's a lot of bother to operate - forever.

I agree with Andy ("Fetch & Carry"): the relay will do the connecting/disconnecting for you. It will connect the leisure battery to the vehicle one when the alternator is running, but disconnect them when it stops, so you can't drain the vehicle battery with your leisure equipment.

More trouble to install perhaps (but within range for a competent DIY-er who understands electricity), but once installed far less trouble to use.

Tony

Guest starspirit

In the old days before everything got complicated we managed for many years with several CF based vans (petrol engine) by just using gas for heating, fridge and cooking and 12 volts from the engine battery for lights, pump and TV, as these vans had no leisure battery in them days.

I usually fitted the biggest battery I could get under the bonnet to give some reserve as well as carrying a small back up 12 volt car battery (fully charged) and a set of jump leads for the odd occasion that we watched too much TV.

As petrol engines in general need much less oomph to start than diesels it all worked well for us and was very cost effective and, best of all, simple.

Archived