Grey waste

frenchman

Bleach - about half a pint with a couple of gallons of water, prefarably warm, drive a few miles to swill it about a bit then quickly stop and drain it out before all the crud has a chance to settle.

Flash liquid, or Lidl's equivalent might also do the job.

Do ensure that you drain it out somewhere appropriate where it won't cause any damage or pollution.

pelmetman - 2015-07-24 6:59 PM

Or the lazy buggers tip ;-) ..............put the plugs in :D ...........

Don't tell me that Horace has nasty niffs coming out of the mains sockets Dave!

We always puts plugs in sink 'oles anyway as part of our anti gas attacks defence as it would be so easy for anyone to disconnect the waste pipes from the waste tank and pipe in some laughing gas ha ha (lol)

Where did I read Orange cordial ??

Myself I would put biological washing powder or liquid in a bowl of hot water and pour that down all plug holes!! ;-) but O.H sorts it so don't know!! I think it is just cleaned with the same as fresh water tank at beginning of season.

Dishwasher tab in each plug hole, then a drop of water. Does the pipes, then the tank. Flush through after a day or so if not in use.

Also limit what goes down the sink holes. Funnily .... we find that toothpaste washings are one of the worst culprits, producing a sulphurous stink.

Finally empty grey tank daily if you can.

Randonneur - 2015-07-26 11:03 AM

2 or 3 bottles of cheap cola or fizzy orange does the trick. Put down sinks, leave overnight if possible, then take the van for a ride and empty out, its surprising what comes out.

If you are going to do this one it must be diet or sugar free! It worked better than the special tank cleaners available but the best thing was to take the bottom access plug from the tank and give it a good clean.

mildi - 2015-07-26 12:11 PM

the best thing was to take the bottom access plug from the tank and give it a good clean.

Not all tanks have a bottom access plug/cap/access - in fact I've never had a van that has - and I've had a few vans over the years!

How best to treat smelly waste-water tanks is a common question on motorhome forums.

Plainly, if a tank drains poorly and is not cleaned regularly, it should be expected that organic ‘muck’ will collect in the tank and when this muck starts to decompose it will smell.

This link and the cross-references within it lists products that might be used to treat a smelly tank

http://zappysblog.co.uk/coca-cola-as-a-tank-cleaner/

Tracker - 2015-07-26 6:34 PM

mildi - 2015-07-26 12:11 PM

the best thing was to take the bottom access plug from the tank and give it a good clean.

Not all tanks have a bottom access plug/cap/access - in fact I've never had a van that has - and I've had a few vans over the years!

I must be the lucky one, but it never feels like it when I am under the van cleaning the tank out!!!!

mildi - 2015-07-29 9:57 AM

I must be the lucky one, but it never feels like it when I am under the van cleaning the tank out!!!!

Oh golly gosh, aren't you the lucky one - fortunately I do know exactly what I am missing out on so I'll think that stick to using diluted bleach and driving around on lumpy roads - not hard to find in the UK - to swill it all about!!

Archived