IH

Mickt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Perhaps someone more knowledgable than me will come along and I am not able to state specifically what British PVC manufacturers use, but.......

I believe that the Rapido vans ( V55 ?) use a custom made pu (or similar) complete liner that fits properly, and would eliminate the cold spots that would occur by using loose fitting 3M type foil or Thinsulate liner that is often used. The Camperieve/ Dreamer vans use the same as they are a subsidiary of Rapido.

At the Paris show Cathargo were confident enough to exhibit a PVC body shell to show how well built their Malibu vans are.

This question has been discussed before and at that time that knowledge pillar of the forum 'Derek ' supplied the above link to Rapido. Another forum member 'Veletron' owns a Camperieve van and also commented at the time.

How many Continental or British manufacturers have upped their specs and methods to follow suit, I don't know.

Several years ago the claimed benefits of Foil type multiple layer insulating materials was questioned because it seems that an air gap of 25mm was required in order for the reflective factors of these materials to work.......that was in the building/ self build industry and some folk have never been convinced of their performance.

• 1 month later...
Ruby(Exsis) - 2017-11-01 7:58 AM

Several years ago the claimed benefits of Foil type multiple layer insulating materials was questioned because it seems that an air gap of 25mm was required in order for the reflective factors of these materials to work.......that was in the building/ self build industry and some folk have never been convinced of their performance.

The thick flat boards used to insulate buildings are obviously better than the stuff used to insulate vans - but they wouldn't fit into all the curves and nooks and crannies in a van.

Hi

We have taken our Globecar to the Alps in winter with sustained sub zero temperatures. It was fine. Condensation on the windows but that is to be expected. We have internal fresh water tank which is essential in those conditions.

When we have been on these trips we use campsites so we can have electricity. I also take an electric radiator I put in the cab area. I use external window covers plus internal covers to maximise insulation.

We haven’t been for about 3 or 4 years cos our knees no longer take kindly to sking but are planning a trip Feb 2019 cos they are so much fun, even if we only walk.

Peter

Ruby(Exsis) - 2017-11-01 7:58 AM

Perhaps someone more knowledgable than me will come along and I am not able to state specifically what British PVC manufacturers use, but.......

I believe that the Rapido vans ( V55 ?) use a custom made pu (or similar) complete liner that fits properly, and would eliminate the cold spots that would occur by using loose fitting 3M type foil or Thinsulate liner that is often used. The Camperieve/ Dreamer vans use the same as they are a subsidiary of Rapido.

At the Paris show Cathargo were confident enough to exhibit a PVC body shell to show how well built their Malibu vans are.

This question has been discussed before and at that time that knowledge pillar of the forum 'Derek ' supplied the above link to Rapido. Another forum member 'Veletron' owns a Camperieve van and also commented at the time.

How many Continental or British manufacturers have upped their specs and methods to follow suit, I don't know.

This is probably the forum thread you had in mind

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/XHP-insulating-material/45558/

and these other two forum threads may be of interest

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Rapido-v56/39654/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Rapido-v56-and-using-it-in-winter/39526/

(I’m guessing that your idea that Rapido fits “...a pu (or similar) complete liner that fits properly” comes from Rapido’s use of a hard ‘plastic’ skin on the interior panelling. But the panelling just covers the “XHP” foil-backed material that provides the insulation.)

I believe AutoSleepers employed 3m Thinsulate to insulate their GRP monocoque-bodied motorhomes, but it’s not cheap material and they may not use it on their PVCs.

This 2007/2012 thread also discussed the PVC insulation issue.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Insulation-in-Panel-vans/7558/

Hi,

We are on our 5th IH, this time a 630 N RL, all of which we have used year round in Scotland without any issues. The rear panel takes away any draughts, the seats are inset slightly to take away any cold spots, especially at night. We use silver screens outside in really cold weather, the Truma 4 keeps the van toasty warm on gas or electric. We also have a heater in the tank and always leave the waste tap open and a basin underneath!

Have used it down to -12 at Moffat, external drain pipe did freeze but water worked internally. Have never been skiing in it, think you wo7ld be better with a double floored a class for that!

Bill

We also have a N630RL, which is basically a Tio R without the sliding door, and have not encountered any cold, damp or heating issues when in sub-zero temperatures. We use no other heating aids than those supplied other than a small (500w) oil filled radiator to use overnight when on hook up rather than the gas blown air heating which I find stuffy in any van.

Ron

Archived