You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Hints and Tips
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 3 Last
Format:  Go
Internet on the move
AuthorMessage
userBazza454
Posted: 13 February 2009 10:40 PM
Subject: RE: Internet on the move

Epic contributor

Or you could go direct to "3" and get the dongle free on an 18 month contract for £10 per month -

http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Pay_Monthly

userel-d
Posted: 5 April 2009 11:39 PM

Having a look around

Can I add to that, the £10/month deal buys you 1Gb of data/month. It depends on your usage of course but I've never exceeded mine. Where it works it's pretty good but as with most services there are dead spots. Annoyingly 3 doesn't work at my home - not at all! (West Dorset)
usermfs1011
Posted: 18 April 2009 4:24 PM

Just joined

Found this website

http://prepaid-wireless-internet-access.wetpaint.com/

If you are abroad for more than a week it may pay to get a local PAYG sim rather than roam on 3g...
userEJD
Posted: 23 June 2009 7:57 PM

Just joined

Hi guys ... can we dial this back a bit for a complete techno phobe. I'm a happy user of BT wireless broadband at home from my laptop and know I can access the internet via hotzones when away from home however ... we intend eventually to sell our home and become permanent travellers so how do I then access the internet for all those little essentials; emails, bank accounts, information from the web. Is my best (most cost effective) method to use internet cafes? Please reply as you would to a complete idiot. Thank you
EJD
userjo scott
Posted: 27 July 2009 3:33 PM

Liking what I've found

are we talking UK or overseas?

if the former, I've got a Dongle from Orange ,. . . 18month contract, £9.49 a month, 1 gb download which, unless you're downloading heaps of movies / games / music will be more than sufficient.

I build and upload websites using mine, so if you can get mobile reception, you can get wi-fi.

In my pre-dongle days, I used wi-fi on sites but its pricey. Windermere CCC was £6 for 24 hours, 2007, Leiston private site, 2009, £3 for the same.

Overseas, you could use then dongle but you'd need to be very careful about overseas costs - especially as connection speed will be slower than your home broadband.
userEJD
Posted: 27 July 2009 9:04 PM

Just joined

Hi Jo - thanks for the reply. We're intending to travel round Europe and I think I've pretty much decided on using wifi hotspots with our laptop or internet cafes as we did before.
Thanks again
userMel B
Posted: 27 July 2009 9:15 PM

The special one

On our recent trip to the eastern side of France I didn't get a single wifi hit, not a jot! I could've gone to McDonalds I suppose but I didn't fancy having to eat their food!
userjo scott
Posted: 28 July 2009 8:36 AM
Subject: RE: Internet on the move . . wifi towns

Liking what I've found

interestingly, some towns are totally wired - Split in Crotia for example.
You can get a signal anywhere in the town . . . cafes, park, street corners. Its brilliant!
The Croatian Tourist Board will tell you which towns are wifi zones . . .and Croatia is absolutely gorgeous. See our gallery on :
www.weareontheroadagain.co.uk
userRandonneur
Posted: 28 July 2009 11:29 AM

Forum master

Mel B - 2009-07-27 10:15 PM

On our recent trip to the eastern side of France I didn't get a single wifi hit, not a jot! I could've gone to McDonalds I suppose but I didn't fancy having to eat their food!

You don't have to eat their food, just park outside and use the free wiFi, or just buy a coffee.
userJohn Edward
Posted: 20 April 2010 9:24 PM
Subject: Re: DREAMS

Just joined

Just seen your post about Internet on the Move. I noticed that you're a member of DREAMS. I've just bought a Rimor Sailer 748 and am interested in joining this society. I'm a first-time motorhome owner and need all the help I can get. My email address is katjohn1969@gmail.com. Thanks.
John
userDavid Dwight
Posted: 20 April 2010 10:08 PM

Epic contributor

Mel,
you dont have to sit and drink their Coffee or eat their Food I wont. We just sit in the car park or near enough to get a signel
usertazdog6007
Posted: 8 May 2010 12:30 PM

Gets involved

finding a parking place in mcdonalds was impossible in france (just returned) the home of gormet eating!

Edited by tazdog6007 2010-05-08 12:31 PM
usermaggyd
Posted: 9 August 2010 5:14 PM

Forum master

Loads of space in the McDs in Trier they have also installed a fillup/emptying station, we filled with water but moved over to the Stal so we could plug up to electric.
userJohn Thompson
Posted: 11 October 2010 8:16 AM

Pops in from time to time

Mel B - 2009-07-27 9:15 PM

We did seven weeks in Normandy and Brittany with our vodafone dongle. Hit lots of SFR free wifi spots but couldn't get in. They are for SFR customers, strangely BT could connect but not Vodafone who are SFR partners.

Tried to buy a SFR PAYG but they wouldn't sell me one because I didn't have a French Bank Account. VISA or Cash was not acceptable.

John

Edited by John Thompson 2010-10-11 8:32 AM
userJohn Thompson
Posted: 11 October 2010 8:28 AM

Pops in from time to time

I have been watching on other forums posts about Vodafone.ie cards being available which offer roaming for 0.99 euro a day for 50mb if you go over this you are charged 0.2 euro per kb.

These are available on ebaY http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180561777788&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Other users have fed back on these and found the deal genuine.

I decided to buy one

It is cheaper than roaming with my contract vodafone at 9.99 euro for the same amount of data.

John

userTertia
Posted: 21 November 2010 12:42 PM

Having a look around

Hi.
If you go as far as the Algarve many towns have free wi-fi zones. Just look for the signs, usually fairly large and conspicuous. We have been advised not to do personal stuff on any free wi-fi zones.

Regards.

Tertia

userMHN
Posted: 23 November 2010 5:51 PM

Just joined

John Thompson - 2010-10-11 8:28 AM

I have been watching on other forums posts about Vodafone.ie cards being available which offer roaming for 0.99 euro a day for 50mb if you go over this you are charged 0.2 euro per kb.

These are available on ebaY http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180561777788&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I decided to buy one

It is cheaper than roaming with my contract vodafone at 9.99 euro for the same amount of data.

John

Hello there John

You say you're on a vodafone contract. Do you, or anyone else reading, know if these cards work for voda PAYG customers?

Cheers

MHN

userMHN
Posted: 23 November 2010 5:57 PM

Just joined

Tertia - 2010-11-21 12:42 PM

Hi.
If you go as far as the Algarve many towns have free wi-fi zones. Just look for the signs, usually fairly large and conspicuous. We have been advised not to do personal stuff on any free wi-fi zones.

Regards.

Tertia

Hello there

Does that include free wi-fi zones on campsites?

MHN
userRhinoInstalls
Posted: 16 January 2011 9:02 AM

Just joined

Another option for Internet on the move. i know its not the cheapest way, but now its possible to have broadband and TV at the same time all across Europe in the comfort of your own motorhome.

www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/internet.htm

Phil
usermaggyd
Posted: 5 February 2011 2:45 PM

Forum master

Ive just been perusing on here

http://top10.com/broadband/compare/pay_as_you_go_mobile_broadband/?gclid=CJ63pYzK76YCFYpO4QodFGyFGQ

I was wondering about the 3 dongle they seem to be offering either 1 month or three!
usermaggyd
Posted: 5 February 2011 2:51 PM

Forum master

John Thompson - 2010-10-11 8:28 AM

I decided to buy one

John

How does this sim card work? do you put it in a dongle?
userDr Dave
Posted: 11 December 2011 10:04 PM

I know this is a bit limited but if you are a clubcard holder you can get free internet access in tesco superstores IE: on your mobile phone you need your clubcard number and postcode.
userbuxton-arts
Posted: 4 January 2012 11:54 PM

I spend several months a year wild camping in both the UK and Europe ... have to say never spent a penny on internet access but log on daily ... a coffee at McD's or use your smartfone as a free wifi detector (altho I now do more internet access on my Galaxy 2 than my laptop these days) ... there are many free sites in all countries if you look (keep an eye out for young people sitting with their laptops) ... cafes, municipal buildings, ferry terminals etc etc

Edited by buxton-arts 2012-01-05 12:01 AM
useraande83
Posted: 12 January 2012 7:40 PM

Liking what I've found

Whilst I was in Italy last year I thought I would take advantage of free wi-fi at McDonalds. Not as easy as you think!! Only give the code number by phone and to a local phone at that! No chance if you are using a UK phone - so no free wi-fi. I eventually booked my trip to Greece sitting outside a small cafe in town.
userissie
Posted: 5 April 2012 3:47 PM

Just joined

I live in France, All Mc D's free, just sit in the carpark and hook on
Most cafe's and bars now offer free wifi, just hook in
and now lots of our campsites have free wifi.

At the moment I am sat in our camping car in the municiple Camp site at Eymet in the Dordogne, Hubby gone walking the dog and I am using their Free Wifi and have been chatting to my daughter on Skype.

Every campsite this week has been free wifi, even got a free hook up on one of the free aires we use so much
usersambukashot
Posted: 11 December 2012 4:46 PM

Has lots to offer

I never use a 3G dongle only free wifi, I pick up free wifi almost everywhere I go at some point on my travels the trick is to get a good external antenna for your laptop to pull in the weak signals that your laptop cannot receive with it’s own built in antenna.

I have written a dummies guide for getting wifi on the move you can read it here, hope it helps someone out.

http://www.camperstops.co.uk/index.php/motorhome-articles/20-articles/18-wi-fi-internet-in-your-motorhome

Edited by sambukashot 2012-12-11 4:47 PM
userHad Enough
Posted: 10 January 2014 6:38 PM

sambukashot - 2012-12-11 4:46 PM

I never use a 3G dongle only free wifi, I pick up free wifi almost everywhere I go at some point on my travels the trick is to get a good external antenna for your laptop to pull in the weak signals that your laptop cannot receive with it’s own built in antenna.

I have written a dummies guide for getting wifi on the move you can read it here, hope it helps someone out.

http://www.camperstops.co.uk/index.php/motorhome-articles/20-articles/18-wi-fi-internet-in-your-motorhome

There's a much easier method of connecting other devices such as iPads and smartphones. Like you I use a booster aerial which pulls in wi-fi very well. On my laptop I have Connectify - this automatically (with no fuss or messing around) creates a wi-fi zone onto which you can log on any other device that isn't able to pick up the primary wi-fi signal.

http://www.connectify.me/

I'm in Morocco at present. I have a Maroc Telecom dongle which cost £15 and gives unlimited 3G Internet for a month, and the reception is brilliant everywhere.

When I log on I can then connect my smartphone using Connectify's wi-fi zone to make free calls to the UK using Virgin Smartcall. You need a Virgin home or mobile phone for this.

I've just a had a fifteen minute call to my office, which cost nothing. The cost would normally be a pound a minute from here. I believe that BT has a similar app for smartphones.

They work as the transmission of your call to the UK is on the web, which costs nothing. It then uses the Virgin/BT landline system to call any number for what you'd pay in the UK, which is nothing if you have a call package.

http://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/smartcall/overview.html

And before anybody jumps in telling us that they don't bother making calls when on holiday just think about if you have an emergency and have to phone insurance companies, your bank or whatever. You can run up a bill for tens of even hundreds of pounds in some situations. As long as you can find wi-fi you can make those calls for nothing if you're with Virgin or BT for your home phone.

Edited by Had Enough 2014-01-10 6:45 PM
userpelmetman
Posted: 10 January 2014 8:02 PM

Walks with the gods

Had Enough - 2014-01-10 6:38 PM

http://www.connectify.me/

I'm in Morocco at present. I have a Maroc Telecom dongle which cost £15 and gives unlimited 3G Internet for a month, and the reception is brilliant everywhere.

More importantly whats the weather like Frank? .................as its been overcast here today .......

Although...............15 quid a month might not seem so cheap to the locals...................which probably explains the good reception ........
userenpiste
Posted: 28 June 2014 2:09 PM

Just joined

I use GIFFGAFF .....you can get a free sim here http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/enpiste I use the £10 offer and get 500 min calls unlimited texts and 1gb of internet.... if you go over internet limit they have special cheap rate untill you top up again.

You can even use your phone as hotspot and access internet from your tablet or laptop.

All you need is sim free smart phone ........seen them around for about £30.00

From experience its a waste of time and money trying to access paid internet abroad until roaming becomes v cheap.

I use an outside aerial £20 from ebay to extend my laptop wifi range and access hotspot such as maccy dee etc.

userTracker
Posted: 28 June 2014 2:28 PM

enpiste - 2014-06-28 2:09 PM

I use GIFFGAFF .....you can get a free sim here http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/enpiste I use the £10 offer and get 500 min calls unlimited texts and 1gb of internet.... if you go over internet limit they have special cheap rate untill you top up again.

You can even use your phone as hotspot and access internet from your tablet or laptop.

All you need is sim free smart phone ........seen them around for about £30.00

From experience its a waste of time and money trying to access paid internet abroad until roaming becomes v cheap.

I use an outside aerial £20 from ebay to extend my laptop wifi range and access hotspot such as maccy dee etc.

Giff Gaff is currently 45p per mb of internet use in mainland Europe and very quickly runs away with your money if you are unprepared and do some web browsing or time wasting on here.
It works well enough and if used just to retrieve emails, reply to them off line and then send when back online it is cheap enough.
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 3 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator