Milenco Cab Door Locks - New Product

lunarmike

Has anyone experience of fitting the new Milenco Cab Door Locks?

I am considering fitting them to my Ford Transit.

They look fairly good and are a lot cheaper than the comparable Heosafe locks.

These locks are screwed to the inside of the cab door in a similar fashion to the Heosafe lock.

After screwing the main body to the door with four screws, the locking lever is attached by means of a shear bolt - which is not removable after it has been sheared!

My query is, does the locking lever obscure the two lower body fixing screws? It appears to cover them in the fitting diagram pdf from the Milenco web site.

If a fault occurs in the lock cylinder or keys are lost or compromised, how can the lock be repaired or replaced if you can’t get at the two lower screws? I like to be prepared for all eventualities!

I have queried this with Milenco but I don’t think the lady quite understood what I was getting at.

lunarmike - 2012-05-10 10:53 PM

Has anyone experience of fitting the new Milenco Cab Door Locks?

I am considering fitting them to my Ford Transit.

They look fairly good and are a lot cheaper than the comparable Heosafe locks.

These locks are screwed to the inside of the cab door in a similar fashion to the Heosafe lock.

After screwing the main body to the door with four screws, the locking lever is attached by means of a shear bolt - which is not removable after it has been sheared!

My query is, does the locking lever obscure the two lower body fixing screws? It appears to cover them in the fitting diagram pdf from the Milenco web site.

If a fault occurs in the lock cylinder or keys are lost or compromised, how can the lock be repaired or replaced if you can’t get at the two lower screws? I like to be prepared for all eventualities!

I have queried this with Milenco but I don’t think the lady quite understood what I was getting at.

I've no hands-on experience of the Milenco cab-door lock, but looking at the photos and the fitting diagrams for the product shows that, when the locking-lever is in the locked position, it obscures the two lower fixing screws exactly as you fear. In fact, with the 'axle' on which the lever swivels being off-centre vertically, this would appear to be an unavoidable characteristic of the design.

I guess you are aware of Fiamma's "Safe Door Guardian". Unlike the Milenco product and the locking version of the HeoSafe device, the Fiamma Guardian has no locking capability - it's just a manually-operated bolt that would inhibit somebody from levering a cab-door open.

http://www.camperlands.co.uk/fiamma-safe-door-guardian-transit-security-device.html

If you want a cab-door lockable bolt that can easily be removed if it develops a fault or its keys are lost/compromised, then I think you'll have to opt for the expensive HeoSafe device. I would suggest however that you may be worrying too much as, if you fitted the Milenco locks at, say, £53 a pair

http://www.justmilenco.co.uk/MILENCO-Cab-Door-Lock-TWINPACK

and there were problems of the type you are imagining, you could surgically remove (hacksaw, angle-grinder) the locked-in-place lever, buy another pair of Milenco locks and still be 'in profit' compared to the asking-price of the HeoSafe equivalents.

I've browsed through your earlier postings, but I don't think you've ever said what make/model/year of motorhome you own. (It may even be that your motorhome and the "Ford Transit" you've referred to here are different vehicles.)

It's probable that you are well aware of this but - as it's come up in the past on this forum - it's perhaps worth mentioning that many Year 2000-onwards Transits already have a deadlocking capability on their cab doors as part of their central-locking system.

kevina - 2012-05-17 7:45 PM

I'm also very interested in these new Mlenco cab deadlocks, the only thing I'm slightly dubious about is the holding power of the 4 self tapping screws.

The objective of the Milenco and Heosafe lockable cab locks is to prevent someone opening the cab door after smashing a cab window. Both makes of lock (or at least the Transit versions) attach to the cab door with self-tapping screws.

In a scenario where someone has smashed the cab window, opening the cab door would require the Milenco lock to be broken or removed. Four large self-tapping screws and suitably-sized holes drilled in the door's metal structure will produce a very strong fixing and I have difficulty imagining how the lock could be broken/removed by an opportunistic criminal who will wish to be in and out of the vehicle as quickly as possible.

My own view is that, if the objective is to both deter and complicate a thief's entry to a motorhome via the cab doors, it should be visibly apparent from outside the vehicle that the doors are 'armoured' against entry. The Milenco, Heosafe and Fiamma locks are all operated from within the motorhome and are inconspicuous from outside and, although they will complicate entry, won't immediately deter. Examples of locks that are visible (and lockable) from outside the vehicle are shown here:

http://www.harrisonlocks.co.uk/Motorhome-Security.php

Guest 1footinthegrave
I've recently attempted three times to contact harrison locks to have these locks fitted ( £270 ) they have yet to return my calls or email, anyone know of any other companies with a similar product that they can supply and fir would be helpful. ;-)

• 3 years later...

As Derek says, the main point of a deadlock should be to deter any would-be thief so that they move onto an easier target.

What are they going to steal, a few second hand clothes and pots and pans?

If your passport, cards and cash are secure it will cost more to repair the break in than replace the stolen goods.

A visible lock and warning stickers would be more cost effective.

If you are like I am, (a bit of a skin flint) try a local hardware iron monger or double glazing company and ask for "SASH JAMMERS", these are almost identical to to the very expensive Milenco door locks but will only cost you approx. £5 or £6 each, with the money you save,if you haven't already got one, buy a Nut Sert Rivet gun off flea bay, they work the same way as a pop rivet gun but use an internal threaded rivet, these come in different sizes 3mm, 4mm, 5mm & 8mm I used 4mm for mine, just need to mark the hole centers on the door pillar, drill the correct size hole, screw the nut rivet onto the gun, insert into door pillar and squeeze the riveter handles till rivet is secure, remove the riveter, offer up the sash jammer and insert appropriate length 4mm bolts. I found it easier to access using Phillips head bolts and a screwdriver rather than hexagon headed bolts and a ratchet socket. The sash jammers can be locked in the closed position by turning the fitted grub screw with the supplied allen key.

On my previous van I fitted them using self tapping screws, which was a big mistake, as I forgot to unlock them once and when I tried to open the door I ripped the screws clean out of the door pillar, fortunately for me I was able to re-drill the holes larger and fit riv nuts into them.

Regards

Phil

• 2 months later...
Hi all, as myshell says fit nu-sert rivets but opposite each other two thirds of the way up each door. then fit screw hooks, go too Lidl & buy a Work-zone double ended hooked rope which has a quick release mechanism on one end & tie the doors together. I do this whenever the van is parked including while we are asleep in it. "A"

Archived