New Battery

Tomo

Hi All,

I have just bought a new leisure battery 100 amp hours. When I put it on the zig unit its recording 38 amp hours and 12 volts ( the digital display is telling me to charge the battery) the one I am throwing away, I have been told it isnt any good anymore and I trust the person, it was recording 72 amp/h.

I have phoned the company I bought it off and they say they only go by volts so its fine. I have now plugged MH in to electric and the charging unit is hot. Can anybody give me any advice? I really cant remember every buying a new battery and having to charge it, but then I cant remember the last time I have bought one. Im not sure I believe the company I bought it off as they may just be fobbing me off.

Help.

Tomo

One life live it. We are trying!!!

I believe Tomo owns a 2006 Hymer B544 Signo 100 (example here)

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/stock/2898/pixindex.html

so I presume it will have an electrical system involving Schaudt Electroblock equipment. I’ve no practical experience of this kit, but isn’t it necessary to recaliibrate the control-panel’s readouts when a battery has been changed?

A voltage reading of 12.0V (measured at a 12V battery’s terminals with the battery ‘at rest’) would normally indicate a totally discharged battery and I wouldn’t expect a battery to be sold in that state. If the charger is becoming worryingly hot, I’d be tempted to take the battery off charge, leave it for, say, 12 hours and measure its voltage with a multimeter.

Have you replaced a Gel battery or AGM with a wet acid battery? Assuming the Schaudt block is similar to my Hymer 544 of 2005, you have to set the Schaudt to recognise the type of battery - there is a battery selector switch which you have to flick using a narrow flat headed screw driver. My switch is on the right of the Electroblock.

An experienced motorhomer service agent changed my last battery from AGM to wet acid and didn't change the battery selector switch. My current control panel showed insufficient power and flicking the switch sorted it.

Assuming you have a Schaudt Electroblock with a German manual [Hymers tend to have], you can download an English version of your Schaudt manual from their website providing you give them an email address. This will give you the correct way to change the battery. If you haven't followed Schaudt's advice, I'd stop charging the battery and do so.

If the battery has been changed correctly in accordance with Schaudt's instructions and you still have a battery display problem, follow the link below to 'Leisure battery capacity on display' as it helped on my ex 2005 Hymer when adding a second battery. It's also possible that the battery you bought new needed a bit of a charge - my last one did.

http://www.hymerclub.co.uk/hcitips.htm

Archived