Poor A class demisting

Guest Mad Pierre

Guest Mad Pierre
My 2005 Hymer B564 really struggles to demist the windscreen, especially in cold or wet conditions. The recirculation flap now works well but demisting is still poor in winter. The cab side windows require constant attention. I accept that my Ducato system is being asked to clear a lot more glass than in a standard van but is this as good as it gets? Perhaps I need some sort of supplementary fan assistance. Any ideas?

I have a 2006 Hymer with dash aircon and my previous one was a 1990 Hymer with no aircon.  The older one was terrible for demisting but the newer one copes, providing you put the aircon on, which dries the air.  Turn it off and the MH starts misting up in no time.

Pre-X250 Fiat Ducatos (manufactured prior to late-2006) had a reputation for inadequate cab-heating/ventilation even in van versions. In A-class motorhomes, with their ‘open area’ cab and large windscreen/side windows, this inadequacy was even more apparent.

A few A-class manufacturers (eg. Euromobil) offered a supplementary gas-fuelled heater dedicated to the vehicle’s cab, but retrofitting an extra heater would not be a practicable proposition. As StuartO suggests, cab air-con is the most effective means of keeping misting at bay, but it would be expensive to retrofit.

Various anti-misting treatments are discussed here and might be worth experimenting with

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/35978/anti-mists#

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1200155

(I tried Rain-X Anti Fog in the distant past, but it did not perform anti-misting miracles for me.)

I have a Hymer a class and had similar problems with condensation I was constantly having to clear away condensation, my dad purchased a karcher window cleaner vacuum for the windows at home and he tried it out on his motor home . The most amazing product ever . We bought one for ourselves , every morning we use it to clear the windscreen and you would be amazed how much water it collects . I find that having used it I never get any condensation when I drive any more . I know it's an expensive product but wouldn't be without it now. I don't know if that helps but I found that it worked for me

Regards Martin

If we were out and about overnight, in our 2005 Class Hymer we would use external insulation mats [silver screens] and in the morning, the screens would be clear.

When parked on the drive, we don't have any heating in the van. The windows never mist up on the inside.

When out on the road, we used a combination of the air conditioning to dry the air and the heater controls and that worked. We adopt the same approach for our current van.

http://www.rac.co.uk/community/blog/rac-blog/january-2013/how-to-demist-your-windscreen-in-double-quick-time

I agree the heater provided by Fiat is nowhere near good enough. Instead of a Karcher Window Cleaner, we use a giant microfibre cloth to demist the windows in the morning [we don't have insulation mats for our current van].

Archived