Rapido 999M Towbars

tony45

Has anyone had a towbar fitted to the above model, i want to fit a EASYLIFTER MOTOR CYCLE RACK to it.

the towbar manufactuers/fitting companies,seem to have varying opinions on this towbar (the mercedes chassis finishes 1100mm. or 43 inches from rear panel of body), especially when i say the motorcycle with rack could weigh up to 140 kgs ,as this would be a "one off" specially designed towbar i would be very pleased if someone could supply me with details of a supplier.thanks.

You may have looked at payload figures, in case you haven't I am posting this.

Only info I found shows payload as 270kg, with bike this becomes 130kg, with a passenger it will become much lower. If the figures I found are correct doesn't look good, also 140kg on towbar will load rear axle by around 200kg, this may also be pushing it, but I'm not sure how much spare capacity rear axle has.

Tony,

You'll get more replies on the Motorhome Forum.

Colin is correct, however: you'll almost certainly fall fowl of 2 or 3 limits:

1. You'll overload the rear axle because the leverage so far back will add twice the weight of the bike to the rear axle load.

2. The combined weight of tow bar (probably around 100 Kgs) and bike and rack (at least another 100 Kgs) will probably limit your remaining capacity unacceptably.

3. You will extend the rear overhang beyond the limits allowed by law.

Almost always, motorhomes with long rear overhangs are not suitable for rear scooter racks.

Mel E

====

Hi Tony,

Mel E is 100% correct on the weight issue, i manufacture bepoke motorhome towbars and would advise against using a motorbike rack with the 999M. The only possible way of taking your bike with you is a trailer as this would add 37kg ( towbar) and a maximum 75kg ( trailer nose load) and you can load your trailer with the essentials you take when touring. This is the only way to take your bike with you and still stay legal on the weight issue. Sorry for the bad news.

Paul H

Archived