Renault Master Vibration Problem

BSB

Renault Master MM35 DCI 120 Converted Panel Van to Motorhome

(Year 2006 16000 miles)

I thought I would just pass on my findings with my van, which is a Renault Master, but what I found could easily occur on any other motorhomes. I believe it is not a common problem but can be very worrying and expensive to resolve if not dealt with correctly. During the last year we notice a slight vibration when going up hill around 40 to 50 mph, this with time gradually increased causing concern. The symptoms are that the whole of the front of the van feels like it is being shaken from side to side. If you lift off on the power the vibration immediately stops, but as soon as the power is applied again the vibration comes back. It was not gear related, as it would happen in 4, 5 and 6th gear in the speed range of 40 to 50 mph. I carried out a series of tests to try and establish what was wrong. From these tests I found that the vibration was due to the NS drive shaft assembly and was cured by replacing the mating sun gear.

Every van gearbox/engine installation will have slightly different vibration characteristics varied by normal differences in manufacturing. Then rarely on occasionally when all the conditions come together you may be unlucky and get this type of vibration problem.

Fortunately in my career as a Transmission Development Engineer I had extensive experience in vibration measurement and was able to measure and understand the problem. Then carry out the repair required.

I did approach my local Renault Dealer but was frightened by the cost of the repair. Then only to find out that the initial quote did not cover the actual part that I found worn. I realise the majority of motorhome owners would have to use a garage to undertake this repair. I am also aware that some garages faced with this type of problem will start by changing parts like engine mounts and drive shafts until they remove the vibration problem. Unfortunately this can be very expensive as often good parts are replaced at your cost, which are not the cause of the problem. Also if all the worn parts are not fully replaced then the vibration may come back after a while to haunt you again. Knowledge is everything so if you find yourself with a problem like this I hope my findings may have been some help.

If anyone is interested then I can email the full write up including pictures of the drive shaft assembly removal and repair. (if I have not successfully attached it)

Brian

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Autotrail Tracker on a Ducato 2 Ltr. Model year 2002.

Had the same problem....it first occured towards the end of our Norway trip last year.

I believe it was caused when I stopped on the inside of a hairpin bend for a descending bus then restarted to continue upwards.

During the last few days of the trip it was very severe if full torque was applied up a steep hill.

On the flat (we have since been to the Netherlands for a couple of weeks) there is no problem as long as a low gear and a heavy foot are not applied.

Everything....mountings/drive shafts etc was checked by my local trusted commercial garage.

Nothing found.

A couple of weeks ago I had the offside drive shaft changed....my logic said the longer shaft to be the more likely culprit.....Wrong!

Had the nearside one changed and all is well after a good trip around the Peak district.

Don't know what 'mating sun gear' is....perhaps I had too much changed!?

Costs were £230 for the offside shaft and £170 for the nearside....afterwards 'her indoors' said it was the nearside one all along *-)

One interesting symptom is that the front of the vehicle, ie. the whole engine assembly, shakes but the steering wheel doesn't!

There's a longer thread about this on the MHF forum

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-123828-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

(BSB's one-off posting on this forum was made in May 2012 and his last logon was in July 2012. His profile does include an e-mail address so, if there is a wish to contact him, that's probably the best way to do it.)

• 1 year later...
Derek Uzzell - 2013-06-02 8:16 AM

(BSB's one-off posting on this forum was made in May 2012 and his last logon was in July 2012. His profile does include an e-mail address so, if there is a wish to contact him, that's probably the best way to do it.)

johnney1729, please note the above post by Derek Uzzell, you will be better off trying to contact BSB direct than through the Forum.

• 1 year later...
Scousejimmy - 2016-03-01 1:19 PM

Hi Brian glad I found this forum I have a Renault master 2001 minibus I start getting the vibration from 40 up to 60 but once over 60 it goes alright I would appreciate it if you could send me the info on how to sort this problem cheers jimmy

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Jimmy.

Brian Bailey’s (BSB’s) one-off posting on this forum about the vibration problem was made in May 2012 and his last forum logon was in July 2012.

You may be able to contact him for advice through the details on this webpage

http://www.wcmcc.org.uk/page2.html

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

D309

Brian Bailey’s forum Profile indicates that his most recent logon was over a year ago (2017-01-20 7:17 PM).

You might get lucky if Brian is still monitoring this forum, but your best bet would be to try to contact him via the email address he provided

bd13corners@hotmail.com

or you could try phoning him

http://wcmcc.org.uk/gallery.html

Archived