Reversing camera

Silver Roamers

I want to fit a reversing camera to my motorhome. The problem is deciding which one. There seems to be many options. I would like a display that fits on the rear view mirror as that is where I would naturally look and a satnav would be on the dash. The idea of 2 cameras seems good, one for distance in normal driving, one for wide angle when reversing. It seems that wired is better that wireless. Are any better than others. Any comments/recommendations would be welcome. Thanks

Not sure how that would work. You would still need to see out of RVM ?

We have both Reversing camera and a sat nav . The Reversing Camera screen permanently fitted on the right hand side, and the TT attaches by suction on the left, as it is mobile, for use elsewhere if needed . Our van RHD. Would be different if LHD of course.

PJay

I would look before you buy. I think the RVM replacement monitors may be a bit small for viewing when reversing, and may give a somewhat restricted view when used for rear view purposes. If you van had a drop down bed over the cab you may be restricted where you could attach a monitor but otherwise have you considered suspending the monitor from beneath the shelf/locker that is often present above the windscreen? This would allow a full sized monitor to be used without obstruction forward view. I have found the Waeco range from Dometic to be good (I have fitted two), though not the cheapest, but have no relevant experience of alternatives.

I don't know what others are on about regarding the RVM....I have yet to see a MH that has sufficient 'view through' the inside area to make any RVM a usable item.  I have a monitor screen (maybe 6-7 inch screen) that fits over the RVM in our RollerTeam 600G so is more than adequate in terms of viewability.  It is also switchable between our high and low cameras.  In terms of effectiveness it does 'aid' and deliver confidence when reversing using a high mounted camera looking down on the rear of the MH.  For general wide rearwards view we have a low down camera fitted, bullet type, just to provide a degree of confidence in what is coming up behind , a sort of 'blind spot' insurance camera.  It also gives confidence as we can see our Smart car when it is on the A frame.  

Whilst my experience says you will not get 'TV HD' quality viewing but you should gain reassurance from the view you do get.

RogerC - 2016-03-29 1:30 PM

I don't know what others are on about regarding the RVM....I have yet to see a MH that has sufficient 'view through' the inside area to make any RVM a usable item.  

Depends if you have a rear window, We have a good view through ours, with the aid of one of those stick on plastic magnifiers., but we also have a reversing camera

PJay

Silver Roamers - 2016-03-29 7:11 AM

I want to fit a reversing camera to my motorhome. The problem is deciding which one. There seems to be many options. I would like a display that fits on the rear view mirror as that is where I would naturally look and a satnav would be on the dash. The idea of 2 cameras seems good, one for distance in normal driving, one for wide angle when reversing. It seems that wired is better that wireless. Are any better than others. Any comments/recommendations would be welcome. Thanks

A monitor that fits over the rearview mirror will always be a compromise. They have a tinted anti-glare glass that can make the rear view seem a bit dull. They are fine when the monitor is on so it sounds like this would not be a problem for you. Dual input version are available so if you have a twin lens camera the long range image can be permanently displayed. Automatically switching to the reversing image with the selection of reverse gear. A resolution of 800 x 400 on a 7" monitor gives the best results.

I would recommend a system that uses the 4-Pin Aviation type connector which is much more robust that RCA connectors.

This type of system will operate on one cable to carry power and video between the monitor and camera.

You just need to feed power to the monitor.

If using a twin camera a "Y" cable is available to carry both video signals and power.

Ensure your current rear view mirror is secure and free from vibration as the extra weight of the mirror mount monitor will show up any loose fittings.

If it is not up to the job heavy duty brackets to suspend a monitor from the roof are available. They really are neat and most of the bracket is behind the monitor.

For best results choose a camera with a Sony 1/3" CCD, although the Sharp 1/3" CCD is almost as good.

Mount the camera as high as possible on the vehicle with the driving camera looking back along the road, the reversing camera looking downwards to cover each corner of the vehicle. We see so many cameras mounted lower down which results in a blind spot at each corner of the vehicle.

I await the usual stream of replies from people with bumper mounted CMOS cameras that think they are excellent. If that fulfills your requirement then you do not need to spends a huge amount of money.

I(f just for reversing, why not have "bleepers" fitted like on cars? You will also then have side control as well.

How many of you have damaged the front/back sides of van when parking? How many small objects have been in the way?

Mind you, if they are anything like whats fitted to OH car, buy some ear muffs!

PJay

I fitted a rear view mirror type monitor to my Autotrail Delaware, it already had a reverse camera that, when operated, displayed on the radio head unit but I wanted a rear view camera.

I chose a camera was that was designed to fit above the number plate this gave me a rear view whilst driving just as if I were looking into the rear view mirror, it worked well.

As the monitor had two inputs I was dammed if I was not going to utilise it somehow, so after a flash of inspiration I fitted another small camera above the grey waste water outlet, this allowed me to switch the rear view monitor to the second camera and see when I was above the grey waste grate without hanging out of the door or having the other half stood in the rain to guide me.

I see Hymer now offer this as an option on some models!

regards

• 4 months later...

Thanks everyone and sorry for belated reply.

I bought a Parking Cameras PM63W kit - 7" monitor with 2 camera's and had it fitted locally. Didn't use the 'trigger' wire so I can select which camera I want when I want.

Just spent 5 weeks from Cornwall to the Orkney Islands and back.

Excellent camera's and monitor, excellent price. Would recommend

Well pleased.

Archived