Spare wheels

Don Madge

If you have a panel van conversion with a fitted tow bar and the spare is underneath at the rear you could have problems getting it out especially if you have a flat rear tyre. I know it is a problem with the Fiat Ducato. The simplest way of getting the spare out is to raise the back of the van using your leveling blocks and then it should be easy to get it out. Don

You could install 'Tyresafe' or 'Protex' [ there are others ] these instantly repair punctures for the life of the tyre, so in theory you don't need a spare. There are some motor caravaners who have this installed and do not carry a spare at all. I am belt and braces, and carry a spare as well. These fluids do not affect the tyre, can be washed out with plain water. Some thing to think about, £20 per tyre, so not cheap.

And soon you won't have a choice since Sevel and Mercedes are not going to supply a spare wheel as standard - instead you will get a bottle of tyre sealant and a 12v pump to repair it with. As I said on motorhometoday forum I think the idea is barking as several tonnes of 'van coming down on a tyre in motion will render the tyre totally u/s. Better to put the stuff in first and hope that the tyre never goes down. We have just ordered our next 'van to come WITH a spare. :-S

Archived